1930 Model A value and info

Guest auden668

Guest auden668

I have a chance to purchase a 1930 Model A. I do not know a lot about the cars so looking for some help here. Seller is asking for 5K even. Has been garage kept and engine hasnt ran for 3 years. They did not say if that was du to engine problems, just that they have not had the time for it. I am wondering if this is a good price to buy it for and from looking at the pictures, what would the actual value be just after cleaning it up but pretty much in the same condition?post-91833-143141786213_thumb.jpg

post-91833-143141786197_thumb.jpg

post-91833-143141786203_thumb.jpg

post-91833-143141786208_thumb.jpg

When you ask, "Is that a good price?" are you wanting to know if it's a bargain? No. Not a bargain, but not way overpriced, either.

If this car were in decent usable condition, older restoration with a real nice interior (perhaps needing a little TLC), its value would be around $10,000, maybe a tiny bit more. If your plan is not to be "upside down" once you're done getting the car in the condition you want, you can't do it even if you do the work yourself. You're better off spending twice as much for one that's ready to use.

On the other hand, this looks like a super-nice car for a do-it-yourself restoration, if you like to do your own work, and your hobby is restoring (and not worrying too much about how much money you're pouring into it), go for it.

Does it have a rumble seat, or trunk? It appears to be a Deluxe, which would mean it should have a rumble seat.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

auden668,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I have owned a few Model A Fords over the past 15 or so years. West is not too far off on his comments. I would add that it depends a lot on where you are in the country. In my experience, there are a lot of regional differences in prices on Model A Fords. Looking at Ebay completed sales figures will give you a good idea on some of the recent trends. As far as that particular car, I would need to know a bit more about the condition before I would make an estimate of its value. The value is very different for an old amateur restoration than it is for an original car that has never been restored. Some photos of the engine compartment also would perhaps enable the casual observer to make a better guess on value. There may very well be some experienced Model A guys near you would would be willing to take a look an give you some advice.

Original unmolested Model A's such as this one have desirable salient features. It looks like it has original paint with primer showing through. It appears to have the remnants of the original interior. Likely the body has never been off the frame. Weathered, but doesn't appear to have ever fallen into the wrong hands. While you can expect to put some $$$ into it you should be able to bail out without a loss if you find it to be too much of a challenge. The body alone would probably be worth the 5K unless it has serious problems not visible in the pictures. In short, it perhaps is a restorer's dream, that is, if you want to undertake that as a labor of love.. If not it would be wise to buy the best one you can afford. (and figure you'll have to spend some bucks on that one too....)

It's a very good deal at 5k. 30-31 Coupes are pretty strong on price in that condition. A bare coupe body shell in that condition needing a bit of rot repair, but with decent doors and trunklid is easy 2500 to 3000, without a frame or fenders.

However, buying it at 5 then wash/cleaning, get it to run, won't give 2k in profit unless it is way better than what I see in the pics...might get 6 or a bit more, especially at this time of year.

There seems to be a strange threshold on pricing on a barn find type car...sometimes worth more just cleaned up, rather than even a quicky restoration/fixup. Then the profit goes away with money and time spent.

Go on the inter net as if you were a buyer and look up as many For Sale Model A Coupes as you can. Then compare your car with the other cars of similar condition and note the asking price. That will give you a ball park figure.

Guest Robert Foster

Having spent my life with an A, I'd sure like to see the engine on this car. Also, if you could, ask to hook up a battery and put a bit of petrol in her and see if she'll start. THEN you've got five grands worth.

What does your heart say? At that price, if you're in love, you're certainly not getting ripped off. On the other hand, if you're looking at it for potential profits, the car can't be cheap enough to make you come out whole on the other side.

Get that coupe running, put a blanket over the seat, drive it to the local car show where there are a bunch of restored cars, every one will come to look at that cool original Model A. Restored cars are common. They are only original once.

I think the coupe is worth 5 grand.

Get that coupe running, put a blanket over the seat, drive it to the local car show where there are a bunch of restored cars, every one will come to look at that cool original Model A. Restored cars are common. They are only original once.

I think the coupe is worth 5 grand.

I echo every word of this.

Might be helpful - might not, but I'm up to nearly 2.5 times that price for a 29 Standard Roadster in slightly better condition - my engine was running and smooth, couple of holes on the front seat and the rumble seat was re-done in naugahide in the 50's or so but not too far off of that Coupe - my advice is run, don't walk, to the nearest bank... It was seeing a 31 coupe in that condition that sold me on having an original car and I've seen originals bringing nearly as good money as older restorations for the exact reasons above - it's only original once. That and most of the older restorations will need nearly the same amount of work to be safe on the road - brakes, king-pins, bushings, etc.