Help With Fuel Pump

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

Oh man, guys. I think I might have screwed up. When I got my car the previous owner had removed the original fuel pump and put in an electric pump. He gave me the original pump when I bought the car because I knew that I would one day have it rebuilt and put it back on. So a few weeks ago I sent it off to be rebuilt. I got it back and it looks great.

Fast forward to 5 minutes ago and I was having a conversation about different fuel pump types with Don(a.k.a. 2buicks)over on his Me and My Buick thread. He was telling me that the service manual says that there are two different pump types for 1952. Type DG for series 40-50 and type DH for series 70. I guess I never really paid much attention to that fact. I pulled up the pictures of my rebuilt pump and......it's a type DH for series 70! Did I just pay $125 plus shipping to have the WRONG TYPE OF PUMP REBUILT!!??

Does anyone know if this pump will work anyway? The guy told me that this pump was installed on that car when he pulled it out of the barn after sitting for 40 years. It's supposed to have this air dome thing plugged into it at the outlet port. However, mine does NOT have that air dome on it. The air dome port is open and the outlet port has a screw-in plug in it. Could someone have modified this pump to work on my series 40? Or did this guy give me the wrong pump and I just paid all that money to have the wrong fuel pump rebuilt?

Here are three pictures. One showing my rebuilt pump, one showing a NOS series 40-50 pump, and one showing a NOS series 70 pump.

post-75106-143141783441_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143141783447_thumb.jpg

post-75106-14314178345_thumb.jpg

I think it won't. Check the length and position of the arms, which run off the camshaft. Maybe you can find some pictures, but I don't know if that will help. About the only thing you can do now is put it on and try it. It looks like the one pictured in the middle has a different arm angle to me. Because of Ethanol, I put an electric fuel pump in line, with a switch up to the dash. When the car starts to vapor lock on a hot day, I flip on the electric fuel pump switch to overcome the vapor lock. We are forced to use the dreaded Ethanol here in Florida except for a very few station who still sell non-Ethanol. If I have to put Ethanol into the car, I then use a NAPA product, not Sta-bil, to neutralize the Ethanol enough so that it doesn't ruin the fuel pump and carburetor. It's either call Crestar or Starcrest.....never can remember...blue stuff in a bottle.

Guest shadetree77

I sent an email to Mike over at Then and Now Automotive where I got my pump rebuilt and explained my dilemma. This was his response:

Hi Robert,

It appears as though the pump I rebuilt for you is a combination of a few different pumps. The body section is not what originally came on a Buick, along with the vacuum section. The fuel section is in fact, from a series 70. The arm I installed however, is correct for your engine. The pump will work on your car, as it does have the arm that originally came on a 52 Buick series 40/50. If you want, I can make it right by changing the fuel casting to what should be there. In order to make the rest of it look original, the body and vacuum section would have to be replaced as well. I can surely sell you an air dome to put on there, but it's really not needed. Besides, it would make the pump stand out as being incorrect for that engine. Normally the fuel line to the carburetor goes in where that plug is located. It can be removed and put in where the dome would go very easily. So after all my babbling, the answer to your question is, yes, it will work just fine as it has the correct arm for your engine. Any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to drop me an email.

Thank you

Mike

So apparently I have a Frankenstein's Monster of a fuel pump here. I'm guessing somebody back in the day needed a fuel pump and cobbled this one together from whatever they had lying around. I can't believe I paid all that money to have this thing rebuilt. Guess I need to pay more attention to the details. So it will work on my car because Mike went ahead and installed the correct pump arm for my engine. But I can't bring myself to slap this thing on my engine because I'm trying to go all-original here and it will bug the crap out of me. I'm going to talk to Mike some more and see what my options are. Maybe I can make a trade if he has the correct one on the shelf. This is just my luck.:mad:

Robert,<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

I apologize for stirring the pot of what the correct fuel pump should be for our ’52 Buicks. I had researched a lot of pictures on the internet to see what other Buick owners had for fuel pumps, including your postings. This also included looking at different year models on EBay. Even the ’52 Buick Shop Manual shows a different fuel pump diagram than mine. Based on your investigation, Mike at Then and Now Automotive, is a great source to use to help identify what fuel pumps are correct for our ’52 Buicks.<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

Don (2Buicks)

Edited by 2Buicks (see edit history)

We live and learn a lot of stuff in this hobby. Chalk it up to experience. I would tuck it away and use it as a carry on. A carry on, in my use of the term, is a part sitting in a box in the trunk that is used when/if your car decides to die on the side of the road because of that part. Given the unknown long term corrosive effects of using ethanol I would be wary of using the part and then making it a carry on.

Guest shadetree77

Don, no problem buddy! I'm glad you brought all of this up. I would never have realized my mistake other wise so I am glad that you brought this to my attention.

Willie, sound advice as always. Fortunately though, I may be able to work out a deal with Mike at Then and Now that will get me the correct type of pump just for the price of shipping this incorrect one back to him. Details below.

Ben, 100% agreed. Nobody would ever know except for me. Therein lies my problem though. Little stuff like that bugs me! :P

John, you've got that right. Live and learn and lose a little money in the process. That's a good point about the ethanol deteriorating the "innards" of the pump though. However, I may not have to worry about it. Details below.

I emailed Mike at Then and Now and asked him to go into some more detail about what my options are and what the related costs would be. I'll just post his reply again. That's easier than re-writing it in my own words:

I can offer you two choices of pumps. One is a generic, whereas it has no AC script markings on it for $125. The other one I have is a genuine AC script pump with all the correct numbers for $245. The flange number on this pump is "4688" which was the original factory number. They redesigned something in the pump, and renumbered it to the "9761" that is common now. Where you haven't even mounted the other one on the engine yet, I'll credit you the $125 that you already paid, and put it towards the purchase of one of these if you want. The pump is all freshened up and ready to go if you decide to go with it. I can take a picture of it and email it to you, if you want.

Thank you

Mike

Now that's customer service my friends. Mike has been extremely knowledgeable and helpful and very generous to offer me a full credit for my Frankenstein pump. As much as I would like to have the genuine AC pump, I think I might go with the generic for an even trade. I do have a line on another correct pump from someone here on the forum. I haven't decided which way to go yet as I'm still weighing my options. Looks like this screw-up might work out after all.