1949 98 Door Latch Help Needed

Guest starfire

Guest starfire

I'm waiting for my '49 service manuals to arrive, until they do I'll need some help. The rear door latches on the car work fine, but the front ones both do not latch when opened from the outside and then closed. The inside handle must be actuated for the latch to close. I took the inner door panel off the drivers side and I can see there is no return movement of the latch mechanism when the outside handle is released. When the inside handle is released the latch returns to the down position without problem. However, the latch will work it's way back up and the door will open on turns (ask me how I know!). I unbolted the slotted head bolt that holds the door handle on from the inside and three washers, the bolt, and a spring fell inside the door (I retrieved them). I don't know how to reinstall them, and I don't know how to remove the outside handle. It will move outward, but I cannot get it out of the door. Do I still need to remove something else? Does anyone have a diagram of the door handle/latch system that they could post? Any help would be appreciated.

Guest starfire

OK, I've got my service manual now, but I still need help. The slotted head bolt doesn't seem to have anything to do with holding the door handle on. With the help of the service manual I was able to get the door handle off by removing the 1/4" bolt that holds it in place going through that hole that is covered by the weather strip. I have removed the inner door handle assembly and was able to remove the arm that actuates the latch. Now I am trying to remove the latch assembly, but after removing the four bolts that hold it on, I cannot get it to come out of the door. Do I need to remove the lock cylinder too? As I sit here and type this it seems to me that I must have to. The service manual does not cover the door latch assembly at all, other than to address the "free wheeling" option, I find that strange. Any help here would be appreciated.

Alan, I can't offer any help on the latch problem, but you will find that the older manuals are nowhere near as comprehensive as later ones. I have Olds manuals from 1950 thru 1987, and up thru the early 60s sometimes needed information just isn't there.

If you can find an older Mitchell crash book, it might cover some of this stuff.

Guest starfire

Thanks Glenn. Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed was that the book is not very comprehensive. I just ran across a couple of '49 Fisher Body books that I'm hoping will have the info I need.

Guest starfire

No luck, the Fisher books are all for the "A" bodies. I was able to finally figure it out though. Just took a lot of wiggling and patience, but the latch and door handle are now fixed and working correctly, no more door flying open when turning right, and now I know how to fix the passenger side as well.