'55 Dash board paint color and texture

Guest toppltd

Guest toppltd

Hello,

I am restoring a 1955 ground up and am at the point of doing the dashboard. Can anyone tell me how to do the dash paint? I figure I can use rattle cans. I saw there are textured spray cans, and rustoleum has a 'hammered' texture, so I figure its one of these and then once the texture is laid down, go over it again in the color, in this case red. Is that how its done?

Where can I find the right shade of red?

Thanks!

Guest billybird

If I am not mistaken, CASCO and other thunderbird parts suppliers would have the correct dash paint or be able to tell you how to get it. According to the CTCI restoration guide, the dash paint is a flat to simi-gloss that matches the interior but not necessarily a perfect match. I'm assuming in your case the iinterior is red and white.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 56Tbird

I dont mean to hijiack this, but as long as we're on dashboards, Is the 56 dash covered with a material, or painted?

Guest 56Tbird

I dont mean to hijack this, but as long as we're on dashboards, Is the 56 dash covered with a material, or painted?

56Tbird - The dash on the 56 T-Bird is similar to the 1955. The upper portion is vinyl covered and matches the bolsters on the upholstery. The portion below the engine-turned aluminum is painted, with a camera case effect that was supposed to match the upper covering. The one addition for 1956 was a padded dash covering that was a part of a safety package that Ford offered. The padding was not behind the steering wheel and only would have protected the passengers in case of an accident. That padded dash covering is not available from the T-Bird parts suppliers and is hard to come by if the one in your car is ratty.

I hope that explains things.

Guest 56Tbird
56Tbird - The dash on the 56 T-Bird is similar to the 1955. The upper portion is vinyl covered and matches the bolsters on the upholstery. The portion below the engine-turned aluminum is painted, with a camera case effect that was supposed to match the upper covering. The one addition for 1956 was a padded dash covering that was a part of a safety package that Ford offered. The padding was not behind the steering wheel and only would have protected the passengers in case of an accident. That padded dash covering is not available from the T-Bird parts suppliers and is hard to come by if the one in your car is ratty.

I hope that explains things.

Thanks for for clearing this up for me.

• 2 months later...
Guest skygazer
Hello,

... Can anyone tell me how to do the dash paint? I figure I can use rattle cans. I saw there are textured spray cans, and rustoleum has a 'hammered' texture, so I figure its one of these and then once the texture is laid down, go over it again in the color, in this case red. Is that how its done?

Where can I find the right shade of red?

Thanks!

I used hammertone as an undercoating, then custom color matched flat enamel for the topcoat. Details here: http://restorationandredemption.blogspot.com/2012/09/making-life-more-inviting.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD