value of straight 8s?

A guy I know has 2 straight 8s that he's looking to sell. He wants market value but does not know what that is. He got them at a swap meet 10-15 years ago. One had been overhauled and is an industrial version with a different style bellhousing. He doesn't know if the other one will turn over or not. My impression is that this second one is probably only worth as much as scrap metal and the first one is probably only worth a little more than that. Does that sound right?

I believe the engines are 1946-1948 vintage. He had a New Yorker of that era and bought the engines to replace a locked up one. I will try to get engine numbers but that won't be possible until April. To clarify, I'm looking for a replacement engine for a 1946-48 New Yorker and he has offered to sell these for a fair price, and he asked me to try to figure out what that is. They are in the state of Washington.

• 2 months later...

These engines are located on Orcas Island in Washington state. The seller is named Don and his cell phone number is 360-622-6282. He is asking $500 for both, OBO. I don't know any more than what I wrote above. They are too far away for me.