gas guage ground

sherwood3333

Guest Grant Magrath

No earth wire. The sender gets it's ground from the sender unit screws in the tank. Check to see if there's a good ground in that neighborhood.

Cheers

Grant

The tank will also need to have a have a ground contact to the chassis. Check with an electrical multi meter is you have one (a good tool have).

Sherwood, if you installed a replacement sending unit, my guess is , like all the rest of us, you connected it to the fuel line with a rubber tubing. Right? If so, there went the ground. Try attaching a length of wire to the sending unit "pipe" between the tubing and the tank.Use a small hose clamp. Run this wire to some place on the body or frame. Or if you want, all the way to battery ground .

Ben

You make a very good point there Ben !!

Not that long ago I was looking at my tank and getting the rubber insulation to go between the tank and the body and between the tank and the retaining straps. I remember thinking that I must have to run an earth wire from the body to the sender unit as mine must have got lost in time and space.

Never occurred to me that the fuel line itself was the earth.

Danny

Thanks, Danny. Not meaning to hijack

sherwoods thread, but I am a fanatic on grounding things.

And I can't take credit for the fuel line bit. I believe it was Robert [shadetree] that brought this to the forefront recently. I should have realized it if I had only thought about it. But I had already run a ground from a mounting screw on the sending unit to the body. As a matter of course.

I once had an Autocar Semi Truck Tractor. The first year I owned it, I replaced the headlight and clearance light switches numerous times. I finally woke up to the fact that something was wrong when they were burned AGAIN. So, with all lights turned on, I took a length of 10 gauge wire, held one end against a clean spot on the cab [body] , the other against the battery neg [ground] cable. Almost blistered my hand, the wire became so hot!! Promptly had made a 00 gauge ground cable for the cab to frame. Drove that truck another 11 years and did not need to replace another toggle switch.

Ben

ok i put a ground wire on fuel line then drilled frame and scerwed other end of wire to frame, i have stainless gas line from tank to fuel pump.

still have same problem, when power is on gas guage goes to full. when turned off guage goes back to emty sherwood

Locate the fuel sender wire in the trunk - comes in through the floor below the driver side tail light. Uncouple the connector and the fuel gauge should read full with the ignition on. Now, touch the wire going to the fuel gauge to ground and the gauge should read empty with the ignition on. If not you probably have a wiring problem or a bad fuel gauge. Copy and paste this into Google: chevelleengineer.home.comcast.net/~chevelleengineer/fuelgage.htm for tips on how to diagnose the cause of your fuel gauge problem.

Let us know what you find is the problem, and good luck.