Sign in to follow this  
TxBuicks

For Sale - 1970 Riviera - $2,100

I posted this in the Buy and Sell section as well.

General: This 1970 Riviera was passed on to me because the previous owner got over his head in the body work restoration on this car. He started doing some body work and then it just sat in his shop for years. He offered it to me cheap and said he would call the crusher if I did not want it. I was surprised when he handed me a receipt from May, 2000 which shows over $5,100 of work done by a local mechanic (which Pete Phillips knows and speaks highly of). So, 13 years ago, this Riviera had a complete engine rebuilt (.020 over) with all new internal parts, including pistons, rings, cam, rods, bearings, lifters, gaskets, etc. He had the transmission rebuilt, rebuilt water pump, oil pump, fuel pump, spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, belts, hoses, filters, sensors, motor mounts, rebuilt carburetor, new alternator, rebuilt the entire brake system with master cylinder and all wheel cylinders, new radiator, new starter, fan clutch, thermostat, exhaust manifold, and on and on. WOW! According to the receipt and the current odometer reading, the Riviera has been driven 5 miles since then. He had all this mechanical work done, drove it into his shop and started the body work. The mileage is 140,000. I drove it off the trailer and into my garage. The engine runs (although the carburetor needs cleaned again),the fuel system is good, the transmission works, and the brakes are good. It is stored safely in my garage in Denton, TX.</SPAN>

Body: Although the body looks bad due to his amateur body work, it is solid, except for a few spots. He felt like he needed to remove the windshields to fix it from leaking so he took them off. Honestly, that is the worse part of the rust issues, is the areas around the windshields. The fender skirts have rust, but I have a good set of full skirts for it.</SPAN>

Glass: All the glass is good, except there is no front windshield. I have 2 rear windshields, but no front one.</SPAN>

Trim: The stainless trim pieces are all there, and all very nice and straight. All these pieces are in the trunk. There is also a second set of trim, almost complete, taken from a parts car. So, there are two sets of trim pieces. The bumpers are mostly rust free and straight, but there are a few dents. There is a good spare rear bumper with tail lights from a parts car.</SPAN>

Interior: The interior is definitely the worst part of this Riviera. It must have sat outside a while before the previous owner had it, or his shop was not well sealed. It is dusty, dirty, and the varmints had their way with it. Most of the plastic is faded and brittle. The headliner is gone and the seatbelts are hard. The seats are rusty and shot, and I’m not sure they can be reused. There is good rear seat and back from a parts car, though. There is also a roll of seat foam, apparently bought with the idea of repairing the seats. Also, there is brand new carpet, still in the box. The floor is solid except for a few small spots where it was repaired with fiberglass. The dash pad is cracked and the steering column is loose, but the ignition works. It has the optional 8-Track player mounted under the dash.</SPAN>

Engine: The engine is very complete, with no parts missing. See the general description above for a complete description of the over $5,100 of work done in May, 2000. I bought a new battery when I received it.</SPAN>

Transmission: Automatic, column shift, and works. No drips or leaks either.</SPAN>

Tires: It has 4 good tires, but they are different brands, and need to be replaced soon. They all hold air. It has the Buick Riviera wheels correct for 1970.</SPAN>

Brakes: The brakes are in good working order, as determined when I drove it into my garage. I have not driven it more than that.</SPAN>

Trunk: The trunk is in very good condition, with almost no rust. The trunk lid edge is rusted out in a few spots. Some of the trunk material and cardboard is there but not all of it.</SPAN>

Price: You can adopt this 1970 Riviera for $2,100.

My pictures are too large to post, so I will have to get them posted later. Sorry about that.</SPAN>

Wow, that rust is bad, and that car is rough. Me thinks this is a $300 parts only car. Sorry.

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Rob J, I would agree with you if it weren't for the fact that the car runs, drives, and stops. The drivetrain alone is worth what I am asking, don't you think? The bad rust is around the windshields. The rest of the body is pretty solid. I am not a body guy but I would think a good body man can fix that. New carpet, rear seats, and good skirts come with it. When I bought it I was thinking all I needed was a front windshield, front seats, and a little cleaning to get it back on the road. But if you think I am asking too much, make me an offer and let's go from there.

Roy,

This might not be feasible but you might try selling the engine/transmission for this car separately. The 455 in a '70 Riv was rated from the factory at 370 hp making it the most powerful 455 (code SF) Buick ever built. The guys with 70 Skylark GS's might be interested in this rebuilt engine for more than you're asking for the entire car. This engine in a 67 - 72 Skylark (bolt in) will really haul the male. :)

Ed

The '70 Rivieras are slow to sell even when they are in excellent shape.

(I do hope that changes in the coming years.)

Wish I could help out.

I started this 1970 Riviera last night and let it run for 15-20 minutes. You won't believe how smooth and quiet the engine is. Looks like all that work on the engine 13 years ago is still good. Whoever gets this car will not have to do anything to the engine, brakes, nor transmission. Think about how much that is worth.

To bad you want to sell it. That car would be fun to fix up. Not that it would be worth alot, but if you have the windshield and the bottom of the car in not rusted out it would be kind of cool. Kind of a paint it at home project.

Steeleco, you're right. I will probably keep it since I can't sell it. I don't think I could even give it away. I am excited about the engine running so good. I am interested to see what it would do on the road. I've never had a 455 Buick before, especially one from 1970 before all the horsepower decreases. It's just that I cannot do body work and that's all this needs.

Roy,

From what I read, you're looking for a driver with which you can have some fun. There are a couple of possibilities that you might not yet explored. 1) Take a class at a local VoTech school and learn to do some basic body work. You can use your car in the learning process. 2) Perhaps a VoTech or High School in your area would work on your car for you as a class project. 3) A student at one of the aforementioned places might need to do something like that for part of his credit.

Eastwood company makes a couple of products that you might consider. One is Rust Converter. It converts rust to a workable, paintable surface. Rust Encapulator sandwiches the rust so it won't spread. Another product you could use to fill in some of the holes is All-Metal. It's a "bondo" that has metal particles in it. I gather that you want something to enjoy driving. It doesn't necessarily need to be perfect, just aesthetically pleasing just structurally sound. Get the work done then get it painted. Either by someone associated with the schools mentioned above or take it to Maaco - don't knock it, you're just looking for something with one color paint. It's what I call a 20/20 car - looks good from 20 feet at 20 mph.

Don't give up on it, just have fun and learn with it.

Ed