Buick Rescue - 1951 Special, Model 41D - $1,000

TxBuicks

I have spent a little over $900 to get it safely to my house. I can show you the receipts. I have an ad coming out in the May Bugle for $950, but I will sell it for $900 if you can do that now.

god i wish this was closer to me..it's killing me

Received this from my PM to Michael letting him know I had edited his post and hoped he understood.....

Sure no problem. Unfortunately I phrased the message wrong as my intention was the opposite. The potential buyer seemed to be hesitant about purchasing the car based on the cost of shipping which in reality does not seem to be a deal breaker. Contrary to what many people seem to believe, shipping cost for an automobile has actually fallen considerably over the last decade or so.

thanks for your kind response Michael

I too have seen shipping rates decline in the last few months. They went sky high a couple of years ago but I guess the haulers have seen they are just going to have to sleep on the road more, keep the pedal off the floor and eat more Spam sandwiches in order to stay in business.

Has anyone here ever used uship? I'm trying to get a quote on shipping the car but it acts like it wants me to let people bid on it instead of getting a quote. I want to check prices before i commit but it doesn't look like it's letting me do that. Any ideas? I've also reached out to McNutt to see what they can do.

Uship is like eBay in reverse. As the person who is wanting to ship a car from one point to another, shippers will bid against each other for your shipment. In eBay you are bidding against others who want to purchase a given item and the price (in general) rises over time. With Uship the price will tend to drop over the term of the listing. eBay has a "Buy it now" feature that allows you to purchase an item for a set price immediately. There is a similar feature in uship that will allow you to set your price and then a potential shipper must meet that price if they want the job. I have had good success with that feature in the past, but note that you have to be reasonable in your set price if you intend to attract shippers. There is some negotiation that often takes place between the consignee and the shipper, but that is to be expected. You are at the beginning of your listing and like eBay the final price is usually not the opening bid.

Thanks,

Here is a quote from BJM in post #10. I talked to him and he is serious with this offer. It is not a loan, but a donation. You can use it to offset the cost of shipping.

"If someone wanted it, and was serious about restoring it, I would even go in $500 to help them buy it. That's money well spent and anyone that knows me knows I am serious. Money is not the issue for me right now, it's space and a need to do the 3 Buicks I already have, that I have saved from the same fate. So, anyone need purchase assistance, let me know."

Has anyone here ever used uship? I'm trying to get a quote on shipping the car but it acts like it wants me to let people bid on it instead of getting a quote. I want to check prices before i commit but it doesn't look like it's letting me do that. Any ideas? I've also reached out to McNutt to see what they can do.

There is a significant difference between Uship and eBay in that at the completion of the listing you are NOT obligated to accept the lowest/any bid if you so choose. This however does not hold true when using their equivalent of the "Buy it now" feature. In that case if a shipper meets your set price, you have formed a contract and you are obligated to follow through with the shipment.

Thanks,

Here is a quote from BJM in post #10. I talked to him and he is serious with this offer. It is not a loan, but a donation. You can use it to offset the cost of shipping.

"If someone wanted it, and was serious about restoring it, I would even go in $500 to help them buy it. That's money well spent and anyone that knows me knows I am serious. Money is not the issue for me right now, it's space and a need to do the 3 Buicks I already have, that I have saved from the same fate. So, anyone need purchase assistance, let me know."

That is correct. No one can guarantee the future in terms of seeing a project to it's end, but I want this car to go to someone who will roll up their sleeves and restore it or just clean it up, rebuild the motor if needed and chip away at it. I think we are close on getting a new home for this car.

As to transport, I have had so many good experiences with YESTERDAY'S TRACTOR. Everytime I post I need a haul, I get a lot of interest at reasonable prices. There is one fellow on there that lurks, his name is Joe, and he requests a pre paid Dollar General card or such. I got scammed by him and lost $250 BUT just don't pay in advance, get a firm quote ahead of time and/or references. My last 3 transports have been great experiences, 2 were bonded and insured.

I've gotten 2 quotes so far and both have been over 1000 bucks. The cheapest was 1.25 a mile and its 1029 miles between me and Roy

At that point it's not really an option for me to give the car a home :(

It sucks but that's the way it goes sometimes, the good news is that Roy has someone from his church that wanted the car so she will find a home. Regrettably I don't think it will be with me :(

The offer from the church guy was casual at best. He has been to my house and seen the Buick, but he is not that mechanically adept. He wanted me to get it running for him, and he would pay me a fair price to work on it. But I have other projects and I just want to get this to someone who will work on it. I wll definately find a set of matching used tires because they will make the transport easier. I have two tires that will not stay up more than a few minutes, which will be a problem with most transport companies. And I will have to ask a few dollars more for it after that, too. More later.

Joseph

I think you should pull the trigger on this one. $950- ($500) = $450 for the car + $750 transport = $1200 total cost. Based on Roy's description, this is a solid project and as I noted, one which you can get running and chip away at.

Well, trafalger has decided not to pursue this anymore, so it is still available. Look at it this way, with BJM's very generous $500 rebate, the effective price of this very complete 1951 Special is only $450. Doesn't anyone want it for $450? Take a look at the pictures again. You won't find one any cheaper than this.

Still talking to Mike, but nothing decided yet. He's looking into the cost of shipping it to England. I will keep you in line. Also had a guy from Colorado who wanted to buy it as a parts car. I don't want to sell it as a parts car.

Guest 70WildcatVert

Wow. I can't believe it's not gone yet. Damned recession. There was a time a few years back that I wwould chase down Commandos from several states away. I'm hoping someone grabs it up soon. I've seen two more pop up around here recently.

Guest 48buickkid

That's one hell of a deal. I really wish I could swing for shipping from Texas to Ohio. I can meet the asking price just not after shipping. Is there any way that if someone really wanted this we could go through a network of us Buick guys and have 1 guy tow it so far to another guy and so forth till it reaches it's new owner? Might be more expensive might not. But it's an idea. A car this clean and nice at that price should go to a good home.

48buickkid, don't forget about the generous $500 offer from BJM to help offset the cost of shipping.

I had a guy all gung-ho about it on Friday, said he was going to send me money through Wal-Mart on Saturday, and come get it next week. I haven't heard from him since Friday and he has not returned three phone calls from me. So, Buicknewbee, I guess you're next. I will send you a PM.

I did everyone a favor this weekend. I had two tires that would not hold air very long. Apparently this was a problem with some transport companies. So I replaced them with good used tires. They were cheap, they don't match, but they hold air. So, now, the car will roll easier and you don't have to worry about deflating tires during transport. It cost me $50, but I won't go up on the price.

Writing a check before my wife realizes what's happened...

BJM - I'll be in touch. There will be some shipping involved, but it's going to stay at Roy's for about another month before we'll both be in our respective towns at the same time to meet up with shippers...

Guest 70WildcatVert

Awesome. I have been obsessing over this car. Thank goodness it's finding a home. Congratulations!

Writing a check before my wife realizes what's happened...

BJM - I'll be in touch. There will be some shipping involved, but it's going to stay at Roy's for about another month before we'll both be in our respective towns at the same time to meet up with shippers...

Just let me know what to do. Glad to help.