1930 DA-124

30DodgePanel

I mounted my wiper. The wiper is inverted as shown in my previous post.

Extra hose required to facilitate window open and close. My repair seems to hold well.

I noticed the wiper motor in my Sacramento Vintage Ford parts book. Price was $245. They also have Tico repair kits and NOS ID plates.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]186767[/ATTACH]

Dave you had asked about the dimensions of my windshield header. Note my preveious thread.

Not sure the DA 124 header is the same as my DA 120. Take a look at my drawing. I made it in a Cad program I have, but I could not change to a Adobe PDF file.

post-71470-14314190809_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930

Evidently Henshaw Motor out of Boston was a larger dealer as this was the dealer profiled for Mass within by booklet, if I run across Mc Onnel Motor Inc will let you know.

Dave you had asked about the dimensions of my windshield header. Note my preveious thread.

Not sure the DA 124 header is the same as my DA 120. Take a look at my drawing. I made it in a Cad program I have, but I could not change to a Adobe PDF file.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]193922[/ATTACH]

Thank you Sherman, very helpful !

Evidently Henshaw Motor out of Boston was a larger dealer as this was the dealer profiled for Mass within by booklet, if I run across Mc Onnel Motor Inc will let you know.

Thanks Jason

I wonder about the spelling ? Something just doesn't seem right with that spelling. Seems like it should be McConnell but, either way I'm not finding anything under the different variations of spelling yet.

It is very encouraging to see the truck was sent to Massachusetts though since that is where the previous owner purchased it from before being sent out west (to California then to AZ). I'd sure like to find any link of ownership in hopes of finding answers for the trucks past. Not sure how the MA state DMV would be able to help but I think that will be one of my next places I turn to for answers as time provides.

• 3 weeks later...

Doubt it's correct for my truck but I picked up a really nice running board toolbox last week. Anyone care to input on whether I should use it or not for my specific application on the DA-124 ? All comments pro and con are welcome. I should probably note that I'm not intending to show the truck but more than anything I'd like to be time period correct and so far, I haven't seen anything that tells me my truck should have a running board toolbox but the deal was so good and I've always liked them so I'm debating whether or not to use it. Has the names "Victor" on the latch and "Yale" for the lock. No key but opens and closes nice. Any suggestions if I should keep it and use it or let someone else use it that needs it more ? post-69994-143141941403_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141941396_thumb.jpg

There is no wrong toolbox for the runningboard as these were always aftermarket, added after the purchase. Keys are not overly hard to find, they were pretty universal, I can show you what yours may have looked like if you like.

I would put it on the board and make sure you can get in and out of it without having to move it and if so bolt it down and enjoy it.

Looks longer than higher so I would say that you definitely are on the right path.

It fits pretty good and opens just fine. I would like to see what kind of key I should be looking for when you get time. I'll go ahead and use it then and start collecting all the tools listed in the PL Book. Funny how something so minor can make it so exciting and fun.

The 930 is nothing more than a number given to a particular style of truck body, Graham/Dodge made literally hundreds of variations of bodies.....930 of them I doubt so I cannot say why the number is so high other than a possible ploy to make consumers consider that their truck line was larger than it was, just a guess and always open to other opinions.

If you do not ask questions than you cannot learn, I wish I had all the answers but if you continue to ask questions than it will give us all the opportunity to throw out possibilities and dig for the facts. I will get a picture of that key, pretty standard key though.

I know the picture is blurry but this one is stamped with eagle lock company and they are the manuf. of the lock assy that this fits into. They manufactured lock acces. for D.B cars/trucks at least throughout the late 20s early thirties.

Since your box is an accessory it could have been manufactured by any one of a number of companies and so there is no right ow wrong on lock manuf.

post-48869-143141944945_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]193922[/ATTACH]

Sherman, What CAD program do you use anyway ? And is it 2 and 3D capable ? I would like to find one that I can experiment with 3D objects from scratch approximate size of 36" L x 8-12"W will also need the capability to structure an accordion effect as well. Do you know of any such program ? Converting any work over to Adobe for me is not a concern for now. Thanks for any input

I used MicroStation while designing bridges at Caltrans here in Calif. Great 3-D capabilities but a steep learning curve. I am finding after being retired for 7 years it is getting tough to use. There may be more user friendly cad programs but I do not have a recommendation. If you use Apple system there may be less choices.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on my research to my build card.

Spoke to the previous owner prior to the truck coming out west. He resides in New Hampshire, nice man but he could only tell me the truck sat for years in his shop then he moved it to the field after he sold off everything in his shop due to health issues. He mentioned he thought the truck came from Massachusetts according to the man he bought it from. So we may never know who the original owner was unless profound documents come forth in other ways.

As for the build card mentioning that my truck was sent to Mc Connel Motors Inc in Pittsfield Massachusetts , recently I found a very legible 1933 Pittsfield Mass phone directory that you can read online. http://archive.org/details/pittsfielddistri1933unse

Very interesting to say the least, especially the toll rates page. Notice Phoenix isn't even listed then.

Unfortunately, no mention of Mc Connel Motors Inc in this publication, however there were 2 mentions of McConnell in the residential section of Pittsfield (don't know yet if that has any relevance). I'm guessing the depression may have forced the dealership to close shortly after my truck would have been shipped in 1930. I'd give anything to find a 1929-31 Pittsfield phone directory, more than likely that would open another door for my research if I could locate one.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Wanted to share this incase anyone was interested. I know this proves out some of the things we discussed earlier in this thread (tail lamp and bracket, mirror, shield bumperette, and steel running boards. I realize it's an artist's rendition but I believe from everything I've studied this is how a truck like mine would have looked from roll off. Had to scan 2 pics because it wouldn't fit in the scanner. Date on the reverse side is Oct 26th 1929.

Does anyone know what the shield on the side signifies ?

post-69994-143142005412_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142005391_thumb.jpg

Update on my research to my build card.

Spoke to the previous owner prior to the truck coming out west. He resides in New Hampshire, nice man but he could only tell me the truck sat for years in his shop then he moved it to the field after he sold off everything in his shop due to health issues. He mentioned he thought the truck came from Massachusetts according to the man he bought it from. So we may never know who the original owner was unless profound documents come forth in other ways.

As for the build card mentioning that my truck was sent to Mc Connel Motors Inc in Pittsfield Massachusetts , recently I found a very legible 1933 Pittsfield Mass phone directory that you can read online. Pittsfield district telephone directory : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Very interesting to say the least, especially the toll rates page. Notice Phoenix isn't even listed then.

Unfortunately, no mention of Mc Connel Motors Inc in this publication, however there were 2 mentions of McConnell in the residential section of Pittsfield (don't know yet if that has any relevance). I'm guessing the depression may have forced the dealership to close shortly after my truck would have been shipped in 1930. I'd give anything to find a 1929-31 Pittsfield phone directory, more than likely that would open another door for my research if I could locate one.

Im gonna find a picture at least of the dealer, just going to take a bit of time but it is on my list. I am sure I can find it

Wanted to share this incase anyone was interested. I know this proves out some of the things we discussed earlier in this thread (tail lamp and bracket, mirror, shield bumperette, and steel running boards. I realize it's an artist's rendition but I believe from everything I've studied this is how a truck like mine would have looked from roll off. Had to scan 2 pics because it wouldn't fit in the scanner. Date on the reverse side is Oct 26th 1929.

Does anyone know what the shield on the side signifies ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]202411[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]202412[/ATTACH]

Very nice, love the details on the hubcaps!

• 4 weeks later...
I wish I had it also. I was able get a fairly good picture of an earlier model truck. Note the max speed of 25mph. I believe the DA 6 truck should be at least 45mph.

Does anyone have a good picture of Dash Plate for these trucks? I could use it as a pattern to may a new one.

Sherman, I believe the 25 mph to be correct (assuming fully loaded), I have not yet seen one that states 45 mph. Also, according to the specs on my truck it reads "Allowable speed 40 mph" so I doubt the dash plate would contradict that. Keep in mind that is listed for the 124" wb 4 and 6 cylinders for the 1930 models. Were you able to duplicate one off what George posted ?

I have one on the way and it matches the one you posted previously. Weights are disputable but I'm ok with that (for now). If you want I can send it to you so you can duplicate it. No charge if you make me one that matches my correct weights ;)

post-69994-143142128694_thumb.jpg

I believe this is exactly why they warned not to exceed those limits. Pic was taken in 1930 and this is the 1/2 ton Panel (bumper, 3 hinges on door, and short rear quarter panel from door to rear tire are the clues). What a shame, didn't even make it a year before this one was scrapped.

post-69994-143142128803_thumb.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Sherman, I believe the 25 mph to be correct (assuming fully loaded), I have not yet seen one that states 45 mph. Also, according to the specs on my truck it reads "Allowable speed 40 mph" so I doubt the dash plate would contradict that. Keep in mind that is listed for the 124" wb 4 and 6 cylinders for the 1930 models. Were you able to duplicate one off what George posted ?

I have one on the way and it matches the one you posted previously. Weights are disputable but I'm ok with that (for now). If you want I can send it to you so you can duplicate it. No charge if you make me one that matches my correct weights ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]207214[/ATTACH]

I believe this is exactly why they warned not to exceed those limits. Pic was taken in 1930 and this is the 1/2 ton Panel (bumper is the clue). What a shame, didn't even make it a year before this one was scrapped.[ATTACH=CONFIG]207224[/ATTACH]

I have made a copy of the one using Photoshop software. Not sure were I got the picture. It was hard to clean the JPG picture up to get a good copy. I will forward a copy latter. The 3/4 ton trucks had different layouts and not sure with goes with my DA-120.

When you get your plate forward me a high resolution JPG photo by e-mail.

The plate you show appears in very good condition.

I have made a copy of the one using Photoshop software. Not sure were I got the picture. It was hard to clean the JPG picture up to get a good copy. I will forward a copy latter. The 3/4 ton trucks had different layouts and not sure with goes with my DA-120.

When you get your plate forward me a high resolution JPG photo by e-mail.

The plate you show appears in very good condition.

Here are two different forms of the dash plate: Plate 1 one has circles in corners. I believe to be early 20's. Plate 2 has X in the corners. This is from a 27. This should be correct for my 29 DB 3/4 ton. the weights of the chassis would be larger if the truck had iron spoke rims. These were made using Photoshop.post-71470-143142131336_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142131313_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142131326_thumb.jpg