1930 DA-124

30DodgePanel

One thing that I would like to better understand that I thought you were maybe trying to get at in which I do not have an answer for at this point is if the truck engines and auto engines carried the same codes ( J DA Senior Vict ect ) than how did that work alongst the assembly line.

I guess that would have to be looked into starting on an individual basis to note the differences between say a DA auto and the DA truck engine and start speculating from there.

Interesting... see, I was assuming that this had been addressed already somehow and yes thats exactly what I was trying to say.

Well, I got some very good news today. ...

Been in contact with another DA124 owner who sent me pics so now have solid answers for many of my questions posted in this thread. Thanks to everyone for all they're help and input. Still a long ways to go but this is good info

Enjoy

post-69994-14314185682_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141856764_thumb.jpg

post-69994-14314185678_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141856795_thumb.png

post-69994-143141856806_thumb.jpg

What a nice looking truck, is it local to you? Not that I can afford it but is it for sale? A couple of your pictures didnt come thru, maybe you can re-post them?

No it's not local or for sale.... he's in Cali

I'll try and see if I can upload those two pics again. Jason, that last pic of the view from the drivers seat looking towards the passenger seat you'll notice a metal badge of some kind thats riveted to the upper header, it's rusted but I imagine that plate is very valuable both for info and historical significance. I'll try and enlarge it and hopefully someone will know something about it.

Hi Dave,

thanks for posting those. Here are the parts I need in the 3 photos below that I've edited with arrows and a brief description of the parts needed.

post-69994-143141860159_thumb.jpg

If we could work out a deal on those parts it would be a huge help. Thanks again, I'll call you later today.

post-69994-143141860142_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141860151_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

thanks for posting those. Here are the parts I need in the 3 photos below that I've edited with arrows and a brief description of the parts needed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]189086[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]189087[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]189088[/ATTACH]

If we could work out a deal on those parts it would be a huge help. Thanks again, I'll call you later today.

This is very confusing . The radiator shell is like my 29 "E" series, but 1) it has a different engine ( note the location of the distributor), 2) the door is like your DA 124, and 3) the dash is like your DA124.

Looks a collection of parts to complete a truck.

Looks like I will have to make a trip to Jamestown.

Whats the frame number?

Hi Dave,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]189086[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]189087[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]189088[/ATTACH]

Dave, now that I can see them the bumper bar mounting brackets look identical to auto, might want to reference the parts book I sent you.

This is very confusing . The radiator shell is like my 29 "E" series, but 1) it has a different engine ( note the location of the distributor), 2) the door is like your DA 124, and 3) the dash is like your DA124.

Whats the frame number?

It is confusing.... I think the same thing, the more I look at different trucks the more my head spins... Don't even get me started on the car options .. but I know Jason will see to it that we go there ;)

The gauges are different from mine but the overall shape of the instrument panel is very similar, the 29 instrument panel does not have the dash lamps however. Why some had dash lamps and others didn't makes me wonder what was going on, seems like a random option at the minimum. EDIT: Also, you'll notice the humped cutouts that fit over the driver and passenger laps are different shapes on some. Some are a gradual hump while others are more pronounced. Little things that only the owners of one of these truck picks up on that many miss.

If you'll notice all of his gauges on the 29 are white too. MOST of them that I've seen have at least either the speedometer or the ignition showing black but I've seen so many combinations I've concluded that I need only to stick with what I have and not worry about others. I know what I need, it's just a matter of finding the correct gauge now, and I only need the oil gauge which is similar to his but even that is different believe it or not. SO , who has the right gauges ? Who knows at this point ,,,,, which is why I'm just sticking with what I have.

This first one is mine, but the rest of them are all equally 1930 Dashes with different variations. Again, why ? Who knows ...

post-69994-143141860947_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141860892_thumb.jpg

post-69994-14314186091_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141860928_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141860931_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141860935_thumb.png

post-69994-143141860945_thumb.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Dave, now that I can see them the bumper bar mounting brackets look identical to auto, might want to reference the parts book I sent you.

So are you saying they are not correct ? Thats one part I thought would surely be universally interchangable.

Ancient Chinese Secret :)

I'm still laughing at your previous comment....

Why does everyone always bust on the Daves ? Daves are cool, we all know that by now...

Oh, btw,,,, I before E except after C.... So I should pronounce it as you spelled it to make it more authentic?;) Good stuff though, I needed the laugh

What engine is this? The distributor is on the side of the engine. Certaily not a Victory or DA 6. Does the owner have a frame or engine number? This must be a latter drive train. Maybe 31 or later.

189061d1366342880-1930-da-124-img_3343.jpg

@ Dave Countrytravler ,, Dave, it would be nice to get the frame number off that truck for us truck guys. It may fill in some gaps in our research if you could please.

heres where it should be located if I'm not mistaken. Should start with a D,E, or an S followed by a 6 digit number.

post-69994-143141861363_thumb.jpg

Parts update:

These are the parts that I've secured recently

1.) Air filter

2.) Vent tube

3.) Radiator Emblem

4.) Radiator Cap

5.) Radiator pressure tested and painted (I'll use what I have until I can locate a better one. Radiator shop can't guarentee it will make it to Detroit in 14)

6.) Tail lamp housing along with chrome shroud and correct glass

7.) Spare tire carrier underslung assembly

8.) Windshield and frame

List of some of the other parts still needed:

Tail lamp bracket assembly

Correct mirror and bracket assembly

Oil gauge

4 different instrument items needed, -- A.) Manifold heat control buttom B.) Spark control button C.) Choke control button D.) 1 matching Dash lamp

Bumper Medallion

2 hubcaps

Light control hand lever at steering wheel

And the obvious items such as wood structure for the top, glass in back drivers side door etc...

My intitial goal is setting up to put everything together using the Coupe donor motor and tranny (for now). Once everything is assembled then I'll know more precisely how to go about a correct restoration and see what bugs I encounter. Sure to take many years but I feel good about getting some of the parts in. Thanks again to everyone for your help !

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Regarding tools,-

I've noticed some of you guys have an interest in these old tools as well and just wanted to know what to look for. Should I be looking for these parts numbers as I look at tools ? I know some of the 1920s DB tools are prefixed with a Q ( Q-1191 as an example ) but I don't think those are correct markings for my tool kit that I'll need to put together.

For instance on the pliers I need, the part# is 51827 . How or what markings will the correct pliers have that will be specific for my tool kit "IF" the part number is not on them somewhere? See attached tools list if needed.

post-69994-143141863078_thumb.jpg

Parts update:

These are the parts that I've secured recently

1.) Air filter

2.) Vent tube

3.) Radiator Emblem

4.) Radiator Cap

5.) Radiator pressure tested and painted (I'll use what I have until I can locate a better one. Radiator shop can't guarentee it will make it to Detroit in 14)

6.) Tail lamp housing along with chrome shroud and correct glass

7.) Spare tire carrier underslung assembly

8.) Windshield and frame

List of some of the other parts still needed:

Tail lamp bracket assembly

Correct mirror and bracket assembly

Oil gauge

4 different instrument items needed, -- A.) Manifold heat control buttom B.) Spark control button C.) Choke control button D.) 1 matching Dash lamp

Bumper Medallion

2 hubcaps

Light control hand lever at steering wheel

And the obvious items such as wood structure for the top, glass in back drivers side door etc...

My intitial goal is setting up to put everything together using the Coupe donor motor and tranny (for now). Once everything is assembled then I'll know more precisely how to go about a correct restoration and see what bugs I encounter. Sure to take many years but I feel good about getting some of the parts in. Thanks again to everyone for your help !

I have been doing the same thing and this is an excellent idea.

What engine is this? The distributor is on the side of the engine. Certaily not a Victory or DA 6. Does the owner have a frame or engine number? This must be a latter drive train. Maybe 31 or later.

189061d1366342880-1930-da-124-img_3343.jpg

Did not see this till today. Bob came over and said that it is a victory 6 engine. When I get a chance, I'll try to find the frame #s.

Did not see this till today. Bob came over and said that it is a victory 6 engine. When I get a chance, I'll try to find the frame #s.

That is certainly not a Victory six engine, as mentioned it would be a 31 up

Victor had dist. mounted in head just for future reference

I thought that a Fast 4 was the only one with dist in the head?

I suppose it could also be a 1930 DD engine, hard to tell from whats in the pic

Victory, DA, Senior ( all 6 cyl ) had dist in the head. DC-8 ( 8 cyl ) in head as well. DD and DH were re-designed to the drivers side with what your picture shows

DG-8 down the side, cant remember DK location

You are right also fast four

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Whats the frame number?

Ok, I give... what and why the reference to Jamestown and where is this place your referencing ? What state I mean.

Hmmm?

Bob knows these DB's pretty good.... I wonder if he was maybe speaking of a different vehicle that had a Victory 6 that he showed you and maybe you might be confusing them. Dave, with all due respect, I know you have alot to deal with and it's hard to keep it all straight even for someone who has studied it for any length of time. Not that Bob needs anyone to speak for him but I doubt he would have labelled that engine a Victory, afterall... it's been a few weeks since he was there and alot can get mixed up especially if your going on memory. If your memory is anything like mine I'd suggest keeping a tape recorder handy :).

I don't think I saw the engine. the engine ID is the two letters before the engine serial number. the serial number is on the left side of the engine forward and just below the head. When I saw the truck I should have realized it was a 1931, as I remember it had a 1929 radiator shell. Dodges used the victory six and Graham used the DA engine or vice versa I think. I don't have any literature to verify that. I am basing it on trucks that I have owned.

Edited by Bob Scafani (see edit history)

I was writing the info as we spoke on the spot. He watch me do it.:confused: [ATTACH=CONFIG]190597[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]190598[/ATTACH]The #s on the hood match the ones on the frame. 9257687

The number on the engine cover that hase engine along side it states : C-DD......... , is this not the numberof the motor , if it is it is a " DD ".

regards bob

The number on the engine cover that has engine along side it states : C-DD......... , is this not the number of the motor , if it is it is a " DD ".

regards bob

My mistake, wrong picture. Those #s, letters shown are the numbers on the engine.post-78906-143141875604_thumb.jpgThese numbers are that same on the fire wall and the frame. 9257687. Okay, What is this trucks big mystery?

post-78906-143141875595_thumb.jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)