1932 G44 Truck

farrellg

Jason, the trade items etc... That is what I have seen with 3 Ton. But never any note of it in serial number list. I have attached a clearer plate below. Total capacity is 10,500 minus chassis weight 3250 equals 7,250. Minus the weight of a bed, let say 1,200 lbs leaves you with a capacity of 6,000 or 3 tons.

I think there is a strong possibility than that part of the answer might be in the way you are reading that tag, I have read article after article of this period of time being the time when truck manufacturers and road commissions were setting up rules/regulations and standards for how large trucks are too be labeled and taxed, truck owners/sales were in their opinion getting the screwjob cause they felt that they were being excessively taxed over auto owners.

We have to remember that even in the early thirties truck/truck manufacturing was still a fairly new game, much of the country were still driving on dirt roads, govt. was looking for someone to pay for new roads ect.

At this point I cannot comment about how else the tag could be read/interpreted but I would almost bet that there is a something within the tag, some sort of loophole maybe, some sort of assumption you are making that you should not be, some sort of something that is being missed here that was done back then that could not be gotten away with today.

It is just too strange that period trade publications that list the G-43 do not list the 44 and some of those other models I mentioned when they have gone so far out of their way to accurately and precisely list so much information concerning the different truck manufacturers models but instead simply list the 43 as a 1-3 ton.

They have/had people proofreading these magazines, making notation after notation month after month about errors or changes made to a model they referred to in a previous month and made the corrections in the present month.

They relied on the truck manufacturers themselves for the information, this is where they claim to have garnered it, truck manufacturers were relying on them to publish correct/accurate, detailed/ COMPLETE information concerning ALL avail truck chassis avail so as to help with sales, truck manufacturers and publishing companies were working hand in hand to bring sales back up during these tough times.

Not too rain on anyone's parade but although these were slow times for truck divisions you are still referencing Dodge Brothers Corp, leaders of industry and truck manufacture, in my opinion they would not have built a 1 off anything, back in the Graham days anything went almost, they would build a 1 off anything you could afford but Dodge Brothers was doing nothing short of focusing on line consolidation, streamlining their sales models to ensure that only what sold was being manufactured, they would not have allowed a special order come thru and be processed that in any way shape or form was misleading to any govt agency ect, whatever they did it was by the book and allowable for this time period, not saying that after it was delivered to the dealer something may have been changed ect cause dealers are, always have been and always will be slime balls, profit above all else cause they are small fries in a big ocean and have little to lose compared to the manufacturer.

There is something in that tag interpretation but I do not know what it is yet, still looking.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Here are photos of the engine and body tag. I have annotated the numbers on them. The cab tag is located on the engine side of the cab center just under the radiator support rod. I included photo of the engine number. Number is stamped well but there is something before it that I am not seeing well. Maybe D OR DD. Take a look and let me know your thoughts.

post-69599-14314179359_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141793597_thumb.jpg

post-69599-1431417936_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141793604_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141793608_thumb.jpg

I think the key questions are this.

1. Is this an original truck or made up of different model piece parts?

2. If original model, what do we call it? G44 2 Ton ?

3. If original model G44, how did it end up with appropriate serial number but an unlisted frame length for the model of 185".

Jason may be on to something regarding the data plate and weight ratings of the time.

Engine is a Six cylinder. But specific model I cannot tell yet. How can I determine for sure? The carb is updraft carter. Looks like BB1 labeled in top. Here are photos of front end. I would say your plate 3 photo. I can tell you my U124 has same king pin end as listed in plate. However, U124 is a straight axle. One on my G44 is not. Drops down between frame rails as in picture.

post-69599-14314179398_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141793985_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141793988_thumb.jpg

More info on Engine. Head is cast number 320032 which shows in parts book as F10, F30, F31 after engine DD2T-6107. Engine is cast number 390029, I cannot find this in Truck parts manual. Date on cast is 6/17/32.

It appears to be the engine shown in plate 49 of the Truck Parts Book. However, exhaust exits toward front of motor.

post-69599-143141794157_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141794162_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141794166_thumb.jpg

Edited by farrellg (see edit history)

More info on Engine. Head is cast number 320032 which shows in parts book as F10, F30, F31 after engine DD2T-6107. Engine is cast number 390029, I cannot find this in Truck parts manual. Date on cast is 6/17/32.

It appears to be the engine shown in plate 49 of the Truck Parts Book. However, exhaust exits toward front of motor.

This reference has good articles on both "F" and "G" series trucks. These articles were taken from back issues of Dodge Bros Club News.

The reference does note that Dodge used DeSoto and Chrysler engines in various model trucks.

This is a must have reference and is obtained through the Dodge Bros Club

.post-71470-143141794207_thumb.jpg

Edited by stakeside
Error (see edit history)

This reference has good articles on both "F" and "G" series trucks. These articles were taken from back issues of Dodge Bros Club News.

The reference does note that Dodge used DeSoto and Chrysler engines in various model trucks.

This is a must have reference and is obtained through the Dodge Bros Club

.[ATTACH=CONFIG]182337[/ATTACH]

Yes, I too have one and it is a vaulable resource.

Picked up a Canadian version of the 1932 G Series Instruction Book. Most everything visibly matches with what is on the truck. Engine visibly is the same, right down to the exhaust being at front of motor. Air cleaner same, side fuel tank and transmission. Carburetor is different as the manual shows a Carter DRT or RT style with long accelerator pump. Overall, this is not diffinative, but it is another piece of the puzzle.

That has to be encouraging. ...

Was that the 2 ton G series that was listed on the big board ? If it is ,,, I was wondering if that would help but didn't know if you would be interested in it or not since the weight class didn't jive. If it was , I'm glad it's helping...

That has to be encouraging. ...

Was that the 2 ton G series that was listed on the big board ? If it is ' date=',, I was wondering if that would help but didn't know if you would be interested in it or not since the weight class didn't jive. If it was , I'm glad it's helping...[/quote']

Yes, it was one on the big board. I paid a bit more than I would have likes but it is in mint shape. It was a hunch. It does not mention wheel bases in the book, but the picture are worth a thousand words. Every little detail helps to verify what is correct or not. According to the book there is also a serial number under the hood. I assume on the fire wall. Says it is stamped but not sure if that was on the cab or a tag that is long gone. If it warms up here I will spend sometime searching.

As you know been looking into this, it looks at this point that your model is an early G-43-44 unit, remember I said earlier that there was a series of trucks that had the 185 W.B without model designation that led up to the G-43/44 series. This would be that truck.

Do you have Don Bunn Book, I read it and decided not too purchase it because inaccurate information was confusing me but here is a blurb that again does not quite line up with your data plate. .................

Dodge introduced the G-40 series in 1932 as a 2 ton model. The G43 had a 136" wheelbase, and the G-44 a 165" wheelbase. Both models had a max GVW rating of 10,000 lbs, with a payload rating of approximately 6000 lbs. It had a 218 ci six and a 5 speed. ......................

Here below is a short article describing your truck, or your truck as it was being offered at the time of printing, these models often went thru changes/had many different charactersitics/options which could not all possibly be covered within these short sales data throughout their sometimes short lived lifespans so there are times when publication blurps do not completely line up with a specific model yet it is describing the very same model.

The data I am looking at is confusing because it does not go into the very explicit details that we would like to see but as mentioned in a prior post 165/185 W.B truck was first being offered around Feb 1931 which means that it was prob. being manufactured a short period of time prior to this.

It ran from Feb 31 - June 31 without changes.

July 31 for some reason trade publication lists a separate entry for a standard/max W.B 165/165 and 185/185. Without looking into it in detail I would guess that there were too many differences between the models to have them appear within the same line.

Maybe you can compare the lines for me and tell me why there are on two different entries.

Posted below is the last un-designated 165-185 series which is Feb 32, I have already posted April of 32, there were no entries for either of these is for March of 32 which just means that the editors were also confused on WTF was going on I would guess.

These Feb sheets will be your truck specs, ( give or take a little ) as mentioned it will not be listed as a G series until April and the fact that your frame is this 185 series means that as mentioned earlier Dodge was using up no sale frames by putting them under these first ( at least ) G series truck.

It is interesting that we at least now have a guidemark for how far into 32 they were using these frames by the serial number/operators manual data I posted earlier.

As far as the tonnage rating as mentioned during this time period capacity ratings were not measured as they are today, so definitively I mean. The truck could be rated from 1-3 ton depending on equipment.

post-48869-143141798983_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143141798992_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143141798997_thumb.jpg

As you know been looking into this, it looks at this point that your model is an early G-43-44 unit, remember I said earlier that there was a series of trucks that had the 185 W.B without model designation that led up to the G-43/44 series. This would be that truck.

Do you have Don Bunn Book, I read it and decided not too purchase it because inaccurate information was confusing me but here is a blurb that again does not quite line up with your data plate. .................

Dodge introduced the G-40 series in 1932 as a 2 ton model. The G43 had a 136" wheelbase, and the G-44 a 165" wheelbase. Both models had a max GVW rating of 10,000 lbs, with a payload rating of approximately 6000 lbs. It had a 218 ci six and a 5 speed. ......................

Here below is a short article describing your truck, or your truck as it was being offered at the time of printing, these models often went thru changes/had many different charactersitics/options which could not all possibly be covered within these short sales data throughout their sometimes short lived lifespans so there are times when publication blurps do not completely line up with a specific model yet it is describing the very same model.

The data I am looking at is confusing because it does not go into the very explicit details that we would like to see but as mentioned in a prior post 165/185 W.B truck was first being offered around Feb 1931 which means that it was prob. being manufactured a short period of time prior to this.

It ran from Feb 31 - June 31 without changes.

July 31 for some reason trade publication lists a separate entry for a standard/max W.B 165/165 and 185/185. Without looking into it in detail I would guess that there were too many differences between the models to have them appear within the same line.

Maybe you can compare the lines for me and tell me why there are on two different entries.

Posted below is the last un-designated 165-185 series which is Feb 32, I have already posted April of 32, there were no entries for either of these is for March of 32 which just means that the editors were also confused on WTF was going on I would guess.

These Feb sheets will be your truck specs, ( give or take a little ) as mentioned it will not be listed as a G series until April and the fact that your frame is this 185 series means that as mentioned earlier Dodge was using up no sale frames by putting them under these first ( at least ) G series truck.

It is interesting that we at least now have a guidemark for how far into 32 they were using these frames by the serial number/operators manual data I posted earlier.

As far as the tonnage rating as mentioned during this time period capacity ratings were not measured as they are today, so definitively I mean. The truck could be rated from 1-3 ton depending on equipment.

I have the Dunn book and have seen that quote. I also see some things in the Dunn book that dont seem to add up. But it is a reference for pictures etc....

Looking at the Feb 32 trade pubs in your last post, they look identical with the exception of the wheel base and cab to frame measurements. However, something I see on the Apr 32 sheets is the G43, line 27, and down on line 32 an un-modeled 185" 3-4 ton. So it is still being listed as of Apr 32. Now the differences in those two lines exist. Tires sizes are identified differently, transmissions, carb, spring size, etc. Now, My truck, with exception of lenght shares the components as listed for G43. In Apr 32, there is no G44 listed.

Now, lets just play with conjecture for a moment. If motor is original, it has a cast date of 6/17/32. That might put this truck build date after June 32.

The instruction guide I just picked up for the G44 mentions the frame number is stamped in the cab. I have started looking in the usual places but have not found yet. The manual mentions on the name plate on the dash, under hood and left side of frame. I have found it on the left side of frame, however now trying to find on the cab. It is not on the dash data plate. I have read sometimes near the radiator support or front steering column on fire wall site. A repaint under hood is making finding it a bit difficult. Can anyone pinpoint the serial number on the Cab for this vintage truck? I have the cab number, that is on a plate just under the radiator support.

That is odd, I did not notice that, that entry runs clear till Dec 1933. Gross vehicle weight on that model exceeds your data plate for what its worth. I have not compared the other statistics.

That is odd' date=' I did not notice that, that entry runs clear till Dec 1933. Gross vehicle weight on that model exceeds your data plate for what its worth. I have not compared the other statistics.[/quote']

Do you have any of these info sheets that list specially the G44? Lets say after June 32? If the 185 is listed, do the components like 5 speed trans ever show up?

Do you have any of these info sheets that list specially the G44? Lets say after June 32? If the 185 is listed, do the components like 5 speed trans ever show up?

I will look again but I believe I already did this and found nothing on 185 other than what I have mentioned/shown

Does anyone know if for 1932 if the frame serial member is also on the cab, and if so is it on a plate or stamped directly into the cab sheet metal? I have a dash data plate but it does not have the serial number, it's just a capacity plate. No toe kick plate present. I have the cab body number but have not been able track down a serial on the cab.

Just wanted to add, on Ebay there was listed a sale flyer for a 1932 G80. Of interesting note, The flyer says "Available in standard wheelbase lengths of 146, 170, 195 and 220 Inches - other wheelbases at extra cost - the new G80 Series Dodge heavy duty truck can be had with either standard bodies or any type of special equipment."

Too bad I cant find a sales doc for a G44, lol. :-)

Edited by farrellg (see edit history)

Hello George, here is a little bit of a different way of looking at it, at least this is from an official Chrysler publication

post-48869-143141807866_thumb.jpg

Hello George, here is a little bit of a different way of looking at it, at least this is from an official Chrysler publication

Jason, Thanks. Wish me luck. Sending to CHRY Historical today. Lets hope they can find some info. Didnt have much luck on my U models, but they are the DXXXXXX serial numbers. Hoping we have better luck this round.

Jason, Thanks. Wish me luck. Sending to CHRY Historical today. Lets hope they can find some info. Didnt have much luck on my U models, but they are the DXXXXXX serial numbers. Hoping we have better luck this round.

I am still looking into that last idea you put forth or inquiry, just takes time. Will shoot for this evening. Best of luck

Jason what is on the previous page? Does it show earlier "E" series?

Prob. I will look a little later and post an image if there is anything relevant.

EDIT: No it does not, starts out with Plymouth, Dodge auto, Dodge truck ( what I showed and later ) and then moves into parts.

No info sheets mention the 44 series other than what I have posted, that 165/185 W.B I now notice first appeared Dec 1930

I know that I said Feb 31 in a previous post but the writing is very small, hard to see, it is as I mentioned actually Dec. 1930 with the F series. Never any indication of model designation, I do not know why, I would have thought maybe it was chassis only but looking thru the info that does not appear to be correct.

I could continue to speculate on this 185 frame but that would be all it would be at this point

Here is another good example in my opinion of why you are not seeing the 44 listed within the model code guides often but instead the 43.

This is a parts manual covering frequently serviced parts. General sort of quick ( er ) reference guide.

The same models are grouped together, go down to Dodge truck, second line, you see UF-30-UF- 31, both same 4 cyl truck with only different running gear, than its counterparts, the 6 cylinders F-30-31, same trucks different running gear.

Running gear = wheel tire combination, possibly in some cases W.B and I am sure other equipment.

UG 43 and 44 4 cyl versions of the next G 43 and 44.

I hope you get my point and that is that Chrysler had to streamline these parts books or else they would be 12 inches thick, I have seen this time and again. Many specific models were just a given at the time. They did not even consider that fanatics ( Nuts ) like you and I would have any particular interest in any of this stuff later on nor did they care.

post-48869-143141808757_thumb.jpg

Well, I secured a radiator cap. Will take a few days to get here. But cant wait. Spent some time today with some nicer weather trying to start the G44. Spent most of the day messing with wire, cleaning ends for good connections. Will have to build a new fuel tank as this one is shot. This is a side mount tank. May be able to find a commercial replacement close enough for now. Will probably need to refresh carb and fuel pump, but was able to get spark finally today with new coil wire and replacing packing in the distributor bolt. As the weather warms here will get to spend a bit more time on it.

Well, I secured a radiator cap. Will take a few days to get here. But cant wait. Spent some time today with some nicer weather trying to start the G44. Spent most of the day messing with wire, cleaning ends for good connections. Will have to build a new fuel tank as this one is shot. This is a side mount tank. May be able to find a commercial replacement close enough for now. Will probably need to refresh carb and fuel pump, but was able to get spark finally today with new coil wire and replacing packing in the distributor bolt. As the weather warms here will get to spend a bit more time on it.

Gotta love when the seasons change...

Just curious, where does that tank mount exactly anyway and how many gallons is it for the big G ?

Sounds like your having a blast.

Gotta love when the seasons change...

Just curious' date=' where does that tank mount exactly anyway and how many gallons is it for the big G ?

Sounds like your having a blast.[/quote']

On the G44, tank is rear of the passenger running board. Tank size 15x9.5x26.75. My calc about 16.5 gallons. Here are some photos.

post-69599-143141813997_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141814001_thumb.jpg

Hi George - Just decided to read this thread and thought I might add my 2 cents worth. Over 20 years ago I had the last Canadian-assembled 1936 Chrysler Airflow C10 sedan (serial 9850444 - one of 9 built in Windsor) That car was a 1936 body mounted on a 1937 frame, had a 1937 motor serial number, 1937 style upholstery and 1934-35 dome lights. Chrysler obviously had a left-over body and had it built using whatever parts they had on hand to get it out of there. I wonder if you are correct in your suggestion that the 185 frame was indeed a 1931 item shuffled along to 1932 to use it up. Certainly Chrysler has a history of doing that.

I believe this may happen more than we think. Very interesting story. Recently, I rebuilt the top end of a 2005 Durango. Now a days, the Chrysler parts man won't look up parts without a Vin number. I ordered two timing cover gaskets sets before I took the old one in and searched for one based on the parts picture. We found it,last used in early 2004 4.7 V8's. I have had my vehicle since new. So either the parts manuals by vin were wrong or my 2005 got an earlier motor. Can't imagine the fun someone might have 80 years from now trying to sort that out.

Just an update. Funny how a package in the mail can pickup the whole day. Thanks to 30DodgePanel for a heads up on an available cap. One small step in the process. Also, got wondering today that since the Walter P. Chrysler museum closed to the public at the end of December, would I still be able to have my build card researched. Apparently yes. Historical is separate from the museum and is still providing service.

Here is a photo of the cap back home on a truck.

post-69599-143141816662_thumb.jpg

Looks right at home George... (thumbs up)

How about the Dodge badge ? Can you ellaborate on that if you know the years and models is was for. I haven't seen one like that and am very curious to know what other weight classes and models it may have been correct for. I'm guessing it was for the larger trucks ?

The nameplate is different than my other two trucks. I have seen this name plate before in print. Not sure if this one was cloisonné or not like the blue ones. I thing it may have been chrome and paint. Keiser31 had said on an earlier post that these were maybe 30,31, 32 if I recall correctly. But remember, so many different models that there were probably several types, kind of like radiator caps. My guess is in the larger trucks.

My G31 truck has the same badge. And from the pictures you posted of your engine it has the same engine as well.

Thgo2315, do you have a passenger side fuel tank? if so, do you have any photos showing it? I am trying to determine originally of my tank so that we can reconstruct it. Mine has outlet top right side rear as you face tank from passenger side. Drain on bottom left side rear. And cap off center to the left and forward. My truck did not have a few gauge so no spot on tank for sending unit.

On the G31 the fuel tank in located under the seat on the driver side. But from the pictures you posted of your tank, it does look similar to the my tank just a bit bigger. Unfortunatly I'm 400 kilometers away from my truck so I can't take any pictures right now. But I do have a few pictures of the sales poster for the UG-30, G-30, UG-31, G31, UGS-50 and G-50 trucks.

post-66646-143141818915_thumb.jpg

post-66646-143141818827_thumb.jpg

post-66646-143141818851_thumb.jpg

post-66646-143141818873_thumb.jpg

post-66646-143141818894_thumb.jpg