1932 G44 Truck

farrellg

On the G31 the fuel tank in located under the seat on the driver side. But from the pictures you posted of your tank, it does look similar to the my tank just a bit bigger. Unfortunatly I'm 400 kilometers away from my truck so I can't take any pictures right now. But I do have a few pictures of the sales poster for the UG-30, G-30, UG-31, G31, UGS-50 and G-50 trucks.

Thanks for the mailer pictures. I have a mailer for the G44 and tank shows on the side of frame. What is intesting, is it looks like two caps. Or maybe a cap and sight fuel gauruge. It does note that the smaller trucks of the series, 1.5 ton, see to have a cab gauge. My truck does not. It does have the split Amp and oil pressure guauges, but there is nothing on the lower part of the gauge except for the DB insignia.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - Got the build card today from Chrysler Historical. Answers some questions but creates others. Motor and Frame numbers match. I dont see a cab number on the build card, certainly nothing that matches my cab number. Also looks like it shows this frame number as a 165" and not 185". I again have crawled underneath the truck and there is no indication of the frame being lengthened or the rear wheels being moved back. So the mystery continues. At least I know this frame goes with this engine. Build date of October 1932. I have included a scan below.

post-69599-143141843409_thumb.jpg

I wonder what the 20-D is indicating

Jason, I believe it is 2DD. In the model chart G44 shows as DD-2-G165. I am assuming this is the model code. I have seen some information from others regarding the sequence of the model codes. Just a thought. I am going to do some measuring tonight of the frame based on some additional information I have regarding back to cab to end of frame etc..... I am still mystified as to how everything is checking out for a 165" wheel base, yet the truck is 185". Not sure we will ever figure that one out.

Jason, I believe it is 2DD. In the model chart G44 shows as DD-2-G165. I am assuming this is the model code. I have seen some information from others regarding the sequence of the model codes. Just a thought. I am going to do some measuring tonight of the frame based on some additional information I have regarding back to cab to end of frame etc..... I am still mystified as to how everything is checking out for a 165" wheel base, yet the truck is 185". Not sure we will ever figure that one out.

Is it the dealer modified the wheelbase by changing the rear spring configuration?

I don't think so. I can find no previously used mounting points and the frame is one piece. No extension. Does not look like the springs were moved. I have the frame measurements for the 165" and this one is proportionally longer to accommodate the 185" Wheel base.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a great trip to Carlisle and was able to find the head light lens I needed for the G44. And very reasonable too. Now I am working on the carb. The G44 instruction manual shows a carb that looks like a DRT08. However, I have several DRT and RT 08's but the mounting holes on the 6 cylinder are wider. The carb that came on the Truck is a BB1, but I don't think that was right. Is there a DRT/RT cab with the same mounting spacing as the BB1 ?

Had a great trip to Carlisle and was able to find the head light lens I needed for the G44. And very reasonable too. Now I am working on the carb. The G44 instruction manual shows a carb that looks like a DRT08. However, I have several DRT and RT 08's but the mounting holes on the 6 cylinder are wider. The carb that came on the Truck is a BB1, but I don't think that was right. Is there a DRT/RT carb with the same mounting spacing as the BB1 ?

Can you by chance post a pic of the page from the instruction manual that shows the carb and the style of engine ?

Here are photos of my engine and carb from the instruction book. Picture 1 & 2 are from the G44 instruction guide which shows the carter DR/RT style carb. The 3rd picture is from the 2 & 3 ton instruction guide with the BB1 carb. Right now, the BB1 is what is on my truck. It may be right based on this strange config. The parts manual is not much help as there is just a part number and that it was Carter.

One strange thing on the BB1 installed, looks like the accelerator pump was removed and the whole in the top half of case was filled in with epoxy. This truck does have a mechanical AC-B fuel pump but I do think the accelerator pump should be there if the BB1 is correct.

Yahoo- the joy of sorting this out.

post-69599-143141886875_thumb.jpg

post-69599-14314188688_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143141886885_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930
Here are photos of my engine and carb from the instruction book. Picture 1 & 2 are from the G44 instruction guide which shows the carter DR/RT style carb. The 3rd picture is from the 2 & 3 ton instruction guide with the BB1 carb. Right now, the BB1 is what is on my truck. It may be right based on this strange config. The parts manual is not much help as there is just a part number and that it was Carter.

One strange thing on the BB1 installed, looks like the accelerator pump was removed and the whole in the top half of case was filled in with epoxy. This truck does have a mechanical AC-B fuel pump but I do think the accelerator pump should be there if the BB1 is correct.

Yahoo- the joy of sorting this out.

What number are you using, from the parts manual I sent you? Give the number and I am sure it will prove to be alot of help by cross referencing.

The 1931 2 & 3 Ton Parts Book calls for Zenith or Stromberg and references these from the D & E prefixed serial numbers. So I think these are out of play. The Master Parts Book lists the part number for the G44 as (exp only) 558049. I dont see any other trucks with this carb part number. There is no manufacturer listed but believe they only list when it changes so it would be Zenith. Late 3 ton 185 lists as 532358, again no manufacturer like other lines, but from 3 Ton book, this is Zenith. Having said all this, the 2/3 Ton Instruction guide lists Detroit Lubricator or Zenith. The G44 Instruction manual list Carter and the picture is clearly a DRT/RT style and not a BB1. I believe the carb on this truck now is incorrect. However, I need some advice to find what DRT/RT style Carter Carb would have the same stud spacing as the BB1.

What number are you using, from the parts manual I sent you? Give the number and I am sure it will prove to be alot of help by cross referencing.

Had a really good day yesterday. Wish we could post videos. Opened up the BB1 carb and cleaned it up. I believe it was rebuild some time before the truck was parked. Aside from the accelerator pump being removed an capped with epoxy, it looked pretty good. I made a new gasket and threw it back on. Replaced the plug wires and rigged up my engine test stand fuel tank on the from fender. The old girl started right up. Was even able to take it for a spin around the yard. Engine is real strong. Have a lot of work to do, but at least it is running as is.

Very good news...

Post pics/videos when you get a chance

Seems I cant post a video to the forum. I will have to figure out if I can upload it elsewhere. Just about have the crushed headlight bucket back into shape. 90% there. Need to work on getting it perfectly round to accept the glass and ring. Love bumping metal.

Love bumping metal.

Yes sir,,, I understand :)

Lately I've been practicing lead loading techniques in conjunction with the metal shaping (the past year or so). Really is amazing how far you can bring a piece of metal back with heat/cold and patience...

Sounds like you have some experience with shaping, have you experimented with smaller pieces ? I'm curious to know of any finish polish techniques you've found to work better than others once you've finished the shaping ? For nickel and brass finishes primarily, not so much for the sheet.

Ok, I have discovered some of the G44 mystery today in trying to determine the true as delivered frame length. I crawled under in the beautiful weather today during lunch with a wire brush and began a more detailed check of the frame. With the numbers on the build card all checking out. There had to be an explaination why the 165" frame was now a 185". Alas, I found a 20" piece that has been added in the middle of the frame. Boy, I wish I could weld like that. It is not noticable unless you hit it with the wire brush. One of the best weld jobs I have ever seen. Certainly explains the 165 .vs. 185. However, the addition is behind the rivited frame reinforcement piece that my truck has. Best picture of this reinforcemet is in the Crestline Dodge Trucks book at the top right of page 58. Picture shows a G44 cowl/windscreen frame and if you look along the frame there is a reinforceme rivited to the frame that runs about 5' between where the cab would be and the rear spring mount. This reinforcement is riveted to the frame. I am not sure I find this brace in the part book unless it is the Frame Front Intermediate Cross Member Brace. In the parts book, it calls for 2 of these. There is also a note for rivets to the reinforcement for Frame front intermediate cross member. As a side note, the frame cross member behind the cab is appears to be exactly the same as this intermediate cross member. Although the parts book looks like there are two different part numbers. I cant believe that there would be a factory modification to lenghten a frame like that. However, why would the reinforcement plates be used if they didnt? Interesting thoughts to ponder.

• 3 months later...

Brief update on the G44. Currently working on recreating the fuel tank. After pricing having one built and swallowing hard due to the estimates, I decided to give it a try. I had some sheet steel bent and am currently welding it up. Here are a couple in progress photos.

post-69599-143142175432_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143142175439_thumb.jpg

post-69599-14314217545_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143142175458_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143142175461_thumb.jpg

Welllllll, In hind sight, I should have flanged. But, this version has none. It is mig welded along the seam. I plan on sealing the inside with tank sealer. I may make a second one as I chickened out making the folded seam length wise but have figured out how to do it next time. This may end up being my prototype :-). The original was flanged with what looks like a tipping wheel. Shrunk on the radius.