Little Car Big Story - The Rena

Curti

This little car was noticed in another post and more info requested. It is a very special little car with a ton of history. Some of which is documented and some of which is not. I'd love to fill in the blanks. It has a 1937 Ford V-8 60 engine and was designed by Thomas Hibbard. Destined for movie stardom, it missed the show and went on to do promotions for Midget racing at the Rose Bowl and advertising for the longest ever stage play in Los Angeles called The Drunkard. Saved from melting into oblivian in a Calif yard and given new life, it went on to make waves at Ameila Island one year. We have improved the wheels for a better ride and gone back to the original finned hubcaps. If anyone has photos of this car in their archives, I love to hear from them. - Curt's Wife

post-54743-143141765942_thumb.jpg

post-54743-143141765946_thumb.jpg

post-54743-143141765948_thumb.jpg

Wow, what a cute car! It's really quite well proportioned for a small car. It's got a neat little grille and shell combo and a beautiful, sporty front fender line. I'd be proud to have this one parked in my driveway. Curti, do you know if any of the sheet metal was "borrowed" from other sources?

Wow, what a cute car! It's really quite well proportioned for a small car. It's got a neat little grille and shell combo and a beautiful, sporty front fender line. I'd be proud to have this one parked in my driveway. Curti, do you know if any of the sheet metal was "borrowed" from other sources?

The Rena is built on a modified Renault chassis, hence the name Rena. The entire drive train and gages are 37 Ford. As far as I can tell, all of the sheet metal was hand fabricated by Thomas Hibbard. It was a pace car for the midget races on California after WWII.

post-54743-143141774569_thumb.jpg Meant to say the tip must be folded up - or it must be down, to drive.

post-54743-14314176765_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic from Amelia Island. You can see the top must be up to drive the car. And one of the dash. The restorer in Calif (Inman) called it the Rose Phaeton because of the inlays.

Curt's Wife

post-54743-143141767646_thumb.jpg

Edited by Curti
Top Up or down (see edit history)