1947 Harmonic Balancer Removal

Guest ailimac

Guest ailimac

Can anyone give me some advice on how to remove the harmonic balancer on my 1947 Buick straight 8. I need to remove the motor mount to swap to new engine. I'm swapping the original 1947 248 for a 1952 263. I was able to remove the bolt but stopped there and decided to get some advice first having never removed one before.

Thanks

Pete

Guest 48buickkid

Whats wrong with the old 248? Just asking. Some one more knowing will chime in here but I believe these motors how differnt style motor mounts if I am correct 47 and back had one mount in the front and 48 and forward midmotor on the sides? Lastly be sure that you have a 263 that was in front of a stick shift not a dynaflow as the they are different in the bellhousing?, crankshaft, and rear main seal size.

Guest ailimac

The old motor needs a complete rebuild. I found one that doesn't need any work and I can just drop it in when I'm ready.

I've been getting different information about which Buick engines will fit in my 47 Special. I was told this one would fit but I will need to switch the front mounting bracket from my old motor to the new motor and remove the side mounts from the new one. But to swap the front mount I need to remove the harmonic balancer from both motors to remove it and reinstall it. If your familiar with the balancer you know that there are no holes to screw a puller into, just the one center bolt that holds the balancer in.

Guest ailimac

Ben-if you remember, you gave me advice on which engines I can swap to. Thanks. Just one issue, I need to swap the front mount plate to the new engine but am not sure how to get balancer off to remove mounting plate. The balancer doesn't have holes that a balancer removal tool needs. My 42-47 manual doesn't give instructions on how to remove. I have removed the bolt, then threaded it back in a couple of threads and tried a hydraulic gear puller, with the center pin of the puller on the bolt and got it to move about 3/16" but it won't move anymore. Right now I have the hydraulic puller still on with tension on it and am periodically spraying it with screw loose hoping it might pop off. If you have any ideas or info on getting this balancer off I'd appreciate it. Pete

Guest 48buickkid

My manual says nothing of how to remove it either. With the bolt out is it possible to get a timing gear puller with the proper tip to fit and pull the balancer? My uncle is into all sorts of old tractors and he rigged up a timing chain puller that with the arms he built wraps around the back side of the a balancer, the extended arms have 1/3 of circle made of 1/2 plate welded to them. The ends of these have been machined to 1/4 inch so that they slip together and overlap. Then he drilled 3, 1/4 inch holes for locking pins. He has made lots of arms to fit various size balancers but his rule of thumb was that the ring that they make should be 1/2 inch smaller circumference than the blancer it will fit behind. It works wonders. I called and was gonna get pics but he doesn't know where it or any of the arms are. If you saw his shop you would know why or he lets people borrow things and forgets who. Its a time consuming process to make but I've seen this little device do this a few times with balancers that with heat and a stadard puller wouldn't come off.

Also you would have to ask someone here but as these balancers dont have a rubber seal couldn't he heat it with a torch to expand it a little. I know some aftermarket companies tell you to heat the balancers to a certain degree and they will slip on with a little help. Would the same theory work for getting one off?

Edited by 48buickkid (see edit history)

I would remove the puller, tap the balancer back onto the motor, then spray PB Blaster into the area where the bolt is and then lightly tap the balancer back off till it does not move again, then repeat. I'm thinking there is just a ridge of rust holding that thing on, and if you don't get too agressive but instead work it back and forth with light taps of a rubber mallet or such, it should come off.