National Motor Vehicle Co Wrench

Guest tadawley

Guest tadawley

Hi everyone. I'm reaching out to anyone who may be able to identify the wrench in the photo below. I know it's a bit random, but I'm trying to determine if this is a wrench that would have accompanied a National Motor Vehicle Company car from Indy. I have been part of a team that is working hard to restore the old manufacturing building where the National cars were built, and we're attempting to pull in all the info possible. If anyone knows of this type of wrench or if there are others similar to it, that would be most helpful. The overall size is about 9.75 in length, and the hex sizes are 2 3/16 and 2 7/16. Maybe for hub caps? I sure appreciate the help!

post-91504-143141764909_thumb.jpg

I think I would try to find out if it is near the size of any national hubcap. You might try looking in the Horseless Carriage Gazette and see if you could locate any National owners to contact. The cars are not very common. Good luck. If it is not too much trouble, post a picture of the building and where in Indianapolis it is located. I have seen the Marmon and Stutz factories.

Edited by nickelroadster
addition (see edit history)

Tadawley, I am not a National owner, but I collect Hubcap wrenches. I have over 500 different ones in my collection. I have never seen this wrench before your post. There are other "National" script wrenches out there that are not car wrenches. They include: National Drill Co., National Farm Equipment., National Tank and Pipe, National Engineering Co. Three of them use Block letters, the other "script" letters. Until someone tells you No for sure, it looks like a great find for your National Car museum display. I also checked my Hubcap books and find 4 different hubcaps shown. Houk aftermarket wheels with a "National" insert, this would come with a "houk wrench, a pressed steel cap with just an "N", nickel plated, a pressed Brass cap with just an "N", and a nickel plated brass cap with the script National. Because they are photo copys they do not reproduce well to post, but I will try them here in a separate post. Karl

Edited by KRK Sr. (see edit history)