1961 Oldsmobile frame question

James B.

What I find fascinating and possibly someone can elaborate on this, is the fact that the GM central tunnel X frame introduced on the 1957 Cadillac, was both controversial and dangerous with at least a couple lawsuits filed (all lost).

But when GM decided to start ditching this design for a more conventional perimeter box frame in 1961 starting with Oldsmobile and Pontiac, there was little fanfare or even advertising within ads or brochures about this new frame. In fact, I only saw a 1/8 page size section in the 1961 Oldsmobile brochure and that is about it. If this new “Box Strength Guard-Beam Frame” was so revolutionary and superior to the X style, why wasn’t it advertised more? Brochures had a habit of showing frames regularly up to this point and even beyond like when Cadillac itself dropped it in 1965. But when first introduced it was a different story apparently?

Ideas? Comments? Suggestions?

Jim

Although this subject is ongoing in the General Section of the forum I will say this. If Olds and Pontiac advertised that their frame was safer than Chevy, Cadillac and new for 1961 Buick's, that would leave the corporation wide open in legal matters for legal action.