Strange Digital Dash Behavior

MarkV

Well my digital dash cluster flickers then dims on occasion, I tried to adjust the brightness on the headlamp control stock to no avail (I think it is non functional). Should I replace the headlamp control first and see what happens? Does anyone out there have a nice used one they would be willing to give up?

Oh, I have not put it in yet. I would prefer to try and save mine (as the mileage is way off 300k (probably) vs my 107k on mine). I dont believe there is anything wrong with it. I think it is the dimmer switch as I have zero control over the brightness level of the other dash lights and the cluster.I think it is flipping out the digital dash as when it flickers is just dims then it goes back up to full brightness. I did see if they had a Riviera and they did not unfortunately and only this lone Reatta, it was missing the headlamp switches.

Wes, odometer reading is not stored in the cluster, but rather in the body control module. You can put in a spare cluster and it will reflect the proper odometer reading as before the swap. One of the nice things about the way the Reatta electronics were designed, and it also makes odometer tampering [a bit] more difficult. The failing cluster can then be sent out for rebuild and reinstalled when you have it back.

Edit: all that being said, the symptom you describe may well be a bad dimmer control in the headlamp switch assembly. You could go into diagnostics and see what the dimmer value is while moving the slider back and forth. If the number shown jumps around wildly, then the dimmer is bad. The number shown should increment/decrement fairly smoothly from minimum to maximum setting while the slider is being manipulated back and forth.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

If there is a problem in the dimmer slider circuit it usually sets a trouble code you can pull up.(BCM -B122 or B123) The failure of the lights to dim if no code present is frequently a bad photocell in the dash.

Well the slider feels loose almost like there is nothing behind it. Also the console lights both near the shifter and up on the dash are not functional except when I close the door initially. They do not come on when the headlights are turned to the on position. I think the entire unit is faulty, maybe I am wrong? Can I swap out the slider on it's own? Or should the entire unit be replaced?

Guest Mc_Reatta

Slider is not separately replaceable, but might be able to be adjusted to get it working again.

You need to pull trouble codes and see what shows up.

Go here if you don't know how to yet:

http://reattaowner.com/roj/repair-information/computer-diagnostic-

codes/computer-diagnostic-instructions-19881989

Then use the BCM data function in diagnostics to check operation of the slider (BD42) and photocell (BD44) If they are OK need to replace the headlight switch.

See here for more information:

Instrument Panel Lights - Troubleshooting - Reatta Owners Journal

My problem sounds a lot like this:

http://forums.aaca.org/f116/photocell-home-depot-replacement-297014.html

It looks like the cluster was merely loose causing the dimming (we will see, I will be driving it regularly over the next few weeks). But I still have the interior console light issues. Where is the photocell on the Reatta? Is it easy to remove and replace? Where do I find one?