closed car roof replacement video recommendation

Dwight Romberger

Hi All,

I was doing some snooping in a Model A catalog, and it turns out the Ford guys have a "better idea" when it comes to closed car roof replacement. In short, they use a piece of tempered Masonite as a base, glue a cheap indoor/outdoor carpet to the board, then glue the traditional vinyl top material to the carpet. The result is a roof that is quieter, firmer, won't blow off and without all that gut busting stretching on a hot day in the sun!

1931 Model A Technical Help DVD - 1931 Slant Windshield Fordor Roof Replacement - 52 Minutes - MAC's Antique Auto Parts

The DVD is extremely detailed with nothing left to interpretation. If you are thinking about replacing your roof insert, I would highly recommend ordering it. Before I viewed the DVD, I was going to have a professional do mine. Now I am going to give a a try. I am confident I can make a durable, attractive, leak-free top.

I have no financial interest in this.

Dwight

FYI: I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy, so I am planning to add a layer of self-adhesive Duramat type waterproofing/heat reflecting material on top of the Masonite. I will extend it out to just cover the nailing slots.

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)