Auburn Cord Duesenberg dealership

Don in Missouri

post-83852-143141752505_thumb.jpgI'm looking for any info I can find regarding Wilkinson Motors in Salt Lake City. O.J. Wilkinson owned the Auburn Cord Duesenberg dealership and also the Diamond T truck dealership. I have a couple photos of the ACD dealership with Wilkinson and race driver Ab Jenkins. I can't find anything regarding the Diamond T dealership other than a few photos of Wilkinson Diamond Ts with the Mormon Meteor at Bonneville.

I'd like to uncover more details, becuase I just found a model 201 pickup that came from Wilkinson motors that had been hiding out in the Utah desert since 1965. Some of the photos and clues I've been collecting are online at Salt Lake Diamond T I'm looking for more info to document the history of this truck.

I am looking for that sign that is on the building.

That would be sweet! Coincidentally, my Diamond T originally came from an Auburn Cord dealer and it got revived to a running state in my Dad's garage which is also home to an Auburn and Cord and the accompanying signs. The video of the first test dirve in decades is online at :

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Don:

Did a little "Googling" and came up with the following photo from the Utah State Historical Society. It's a photo of the Wilkinson Motor Company's display at the Coconut Grove Ballroom taken February 29, 1936 with three new cars on display. I zoomed in on the sign hanging from the ceiling and it reads "Auburn $975 and up delivered Salt Lake City, Wilkinson Motor Co., 157 Motor Ave." I then Googled the street address to see if the dealership building is still there at 157 Motor Ave and it appears that the 100 block of Motor Ave was demolished when they built the Veteran's Memorial Highway (IH-15 Freeway). Don't you just love Google?

Regards,

Fred

auburncorddealerslcutah.jpg

wilkinsonauburndealerfe.jpg

signyt.jpg

Yes, I have those signs as well, but an original Auburn dealership sign would be a treasure to behold.

Sounds like the Diamond T needs a muffler.

I hate to hi-jack a thread, but I need to know more about the car in your picture, and I want to see more photos, and who built it?, etc.

Recently I've been blasted with forwarded e-mails about a scaled-down 1950 Mercury, but this car has to be even better! More! More!

Don:

Did a little "Googling" and came up with the following photo from the Utah State Historical Society. It's a photo of the Wilkinson Motor Company's display at the Coconut Grove Ballroom taken February 29, 1936 with three new cars on display. I zoomed in on the sign hanging from the ceiling and it reads "Auburn $975 and up delivered Salt Lake City, Wilkinson Motor Co., 157 Motor Ave." I then Googled the street address to see if the dealership building is still there at 157 Motor Ave and it appears that the 100 block of Motor Ave was demolished when they built the Veteran's Memorial Highway (IH-15 Freeway). Don't you just love Google?

Regards,

Fred

Thanks. That's awesome! Those archives are great. it takes a whiel to sort through,but I'm compilign a photo essay at Salt Lake Diamond T based largely on what I'm finding there. I'm still thirstly for more.

Here's a nice shot of Ab Jenkins racing an Auburn on the Salt Flats. post-83852-14314176892_thumb.jpg

MMII%20Diamond%20T%20pickup.jpg

This photo looks to be from 1949. The archives date it 1936-39 like the Aurburn/Cord photos, but based on the Dodge and Ford in the background it has to be later. I'd like to find out if Wilkinson was dealing in Diamnd T trucks at the same time as Auburns and Cords or if the truck dealership came after Cord shut down.