1930 Marquette For Sale

Hudsy Wudsy

Hudsy

I saw that ad on V8 Buick.com which I frequent and I do believe the 6 cyl motor was made by Olds. While it is nice to see these cars come out of the woodwork on craigs lists, $7500 - where do sellers determine these prices? It would be different if this was a rare open car Marquette but would likely still be about $3500 too high. I spoke with a fellow in SD last fall with a 28 Master 6 roadster he wanted around $4500 for, a rare and desirable roaring 20's Buick roadster.

Those are "entry fees", a mere fraction of what the new owner is looking down the barrel of should they accept the mission.

It is also a self regulating system. Buying that car for $7500 would be a cash deal. It is not like a new car where all you have to do is sign your name. The purchaser will have to be smart enough to have $7500 cash. A person that smart is not likely to do something stupid. If the car sells it will go to a buyer who knows what they are doing.

That's why those cars are for sale for years.

Along those lines, when I travel alone I always carry a lot of money in cash. It makes me smarter. I drive right past places I might have stopped if I had less money on me. I stay away from dark places and I don't walk in strange neighborhoods at night. When I hear about a stabbing and someone being robbed of $3 I think "Gee, if they had $200 in their pocket they wouldn't have been on that street."

Money makes you smart and smart guys won't go to the garage that car is in................ Now I wonder, if I plunked down $4500 in 20's on the hood........

Bernie

Yeah, I know the price is ridiculous, but I have, once or twice, come up against guys who start with extreme prices, butted heads and months, or even years later, closed a deal. But, as much as anything, (and I think Bryan will tell you this) I occasionally come across neat cars and bring them to the attention of the forum for the fun of it. It's often a conversation starter. I, for one, haven't seen a Marquette in years. I honestly forgot that they existed. They were a part of a an interesting marketing concept by GM to offer slightly less expensive companion makes to it's then established marques. It's sort of interesting that Cadillac's LaSalle was the only one that had much lasting power. Even more interesting, though, is that Oakland's companion car, Pontiac, eclipsed it all together. Bryan, did you see the Devaux? Cute, isn't it?

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

Hudsy

It is grreat fun to see these cars out there on Craigs List, so no worries on price. CL is pretty quick for a seller to pop an ad up. I hate doing that on ebay. It takes forever. It's nice to see a Marquette for sale. I think the 2 door sedan and 4 door sedan were the 2 highest production Marquettes, so they show up the most. The Touring and Roadster, there probably aren't more then 25 of these in any condition left.