1939 Buick Special 40 front shock question

grhouse

I just bought a 39 Buick Special and noticed that when I bounced up and down on thew running board that the whole car swayed a lot. The owner's manual says to put fluid in it when it gets low. What type of fluid should I put in it and do you think that will help the problem?

Gene

Guest Grant Magrath

If you can't locate proper shock fluid, you can quite successfuly use motorbike fork oil. That's what we use in the coupe. Make sure it's heavy duty though. I use an old style oil can with a curved spout. Works great.

Cheers

Grant

G'day Gene,

Welcome to the " '39 Buick Team". A few pics will always get you a big "Yea" !!

Sounds like you have the infamous "Leaky Shock Syndrome". If your shocks are empty, putting oil in there will definitely help. I filled mine up with a big syringe.

They can be a bugger to get the air out of. If they are totally empty you may even have to remove the top pin so you can move the lever arm all the way up and down to get all the air out of them. If they have totally leaked out you'll probably have to get them repaired as constantly topping them up will eventually give you the rots.

It also becomes very messy down there with oil constantly leaking.

Danny

Welcome to world of '39 Buick's

You can join the http://forums.aaca.org/f165/39-buick-team-membership-342274.html

Yes, add me to the membership please. I've made the changes in my profile.

While I'm here, where is the best place to get tune-up parts? I've looked at both Kanter and oldbuickparts.com. Oldbuickparts has a good package deal but I'm not sure of their quality. I think that you can generally be sure of Kanter's quality. This beauty runs great but has not had new plugs, points, etc. for a long time and I want to give her a good tune-up. Also, what is the best way to treat the air cleaner? Should I just clean it good and oil it? I'd like to get a good replacement if I can find original equipment style to replace it with. The car is all original now and I do not want to change that.

It is great to know that there is a special group of folks here on the Forum that specialize in 39 Buicks! I'm sure we'll have a lot to discuss and maybe there will be someone else from the mid-South that I can meet with to go to shows. I actually live in the small town of Thorn Hill, TN about 45 miles north of Knoxville, TN.

Gene

Hi there! My '39 Special hadn't run in well over 50 years, and we just cleaned the plugs and points and so far it purrs great. I'm sure new parts may help once we actually get it out on the road, but so far we're good.

If you're north of Knoxville, we can't be more than a couple hours apart. I'm south of Lexington :)

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

I re-assembled my front end, and found that one of my shocks is leaking ('38 Special). A local Delco retiree stopped by (he worked on very similar shocks at Delco Products). He pointed out that the leak is around the shaft, which is above the piston mechanism. So, as a temporary measure, just add enough oil to keep the piston in business - don't fill the reservoir. Add just a little bit periodically (about a shot glass). You will minimize the mess, and keep the shock functioning until you can get it fixed.

Jeff

grhouse, welcome to the "club" - lots of '39 owners here to help you along. We like photos, so post some of your '39 when you get a chance. I found correct plugs at NAPA, but Bobs Automobilia (www.bobsautomobilia.com) also has all the components for your tune-up. On the air cleaner, do you have the heavy duty cleaner with the oil pan underneath, or just the canister with the copper foil? Either way, you rinse it good with kerosene and re-oil the foil - then a pint in the oil pan if it is the heavy duty cleaner.

Again, welcome to the group.

Edited by jvelde (see edit history)

Gene,

Glad to have you on board. (another to add to the list Al)

Do you check ebay ?? In the last 6 months I've picked up 2 sets of genuine and correct AC plugs. They turn up regularly enough.

With changing brands of plugs, always check the length of the top of the plug as I've run across other brands that are slightly taller and may create problems with the spark plug cover. Of course if you're not running a plug cover it wont be a problem.

What sort of Special do you have ?? 4 door, 2 door, Convertable...... ?????

Danny

It is a 4-door. I've got to check to see which plugs, points, etc. to get. Bob's website must be down or something. I tried them and it would never load properly. Everything at Kanter is about $130 including new wires. At oldbuickparts.com they advertise a "kit" that includes everything for $90 but if you but the parts individually it comes to about $120. Has anyone on here ever dealt with oldbuickparts.com? I like a good deal but good quality is more important to me with my cars. It does have the Delco distributor on it and it looks like AC plugs currently. I'll be posting pictures soon.

Gene

On that shock oil issue, hydraulic jack fluid works fine. I like to have an oil squirt pistol dedicated just to shock service. Pull out the plug and squirt it in. The rears are easy; just lie on your back and pull the car down and release as you fill. The fronts might require a helper. If they leak a little, live with it, a lot just reseal them.

Bernie

grhouse:

Just got on Bobs and this is what he has for '39 model Buicks -

Distributor tune-up kit (cap, rotor, points & condenser) for $29,

Plug wires (yellow laqured cloth covered) $42.00

Plugs (AC-R45) $2.75 ea. x 8 = $22.00

Total $93.00

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

John, Thanks for checking on that for me. I just tried again and the pages will not load for me. I guess I'll have to call them. I'm using XP and Firefox. That price looks acceptable and comparable to Kanter if the quality is the same. I've noticed that some others here have used Bob's and that is why I thought I'd give them a try. It appears they specialize in Buick parts and it is good to keep folks like that in business.

Gene

Jenz old mate, that is the best bodge job I have ever seen on any car ever!! Are you sure you're not a Kiwi or an Aussie ?? :) :) :) :)

Danny

No Danny

I'm sure, that I am german ..:)

As I ordered my completly overhaul kit for the front axle, an old us part dealer here in germany told me :

Kanter for show !!(500 bucks), bob's for go !! (700 bucks)

I run good with bob. But you must check the order if it's arrived you. For examble : I ordered 16 Solid lifters and they delivered 12.

OK at the next order after 6 month they gave the last 4 to me,than they cost 2 $ each, I don't know why ??? stupid ..

But the rest is was absolutly OK.

M2C

Guest Grant Magrath

Bobs have been good with me. Helped me out when I messed up an order and hunted down a steering box bearing that wasn't in their catalogue. I can't use Bob's website at work because it was hijacked a couple of years ago by hackers or whatever, and as a result, it's on a banned list from out IT dept. I only have one complaint. You would think after all the money and people I've recommended to Bobs, that they would relax their minimum spend policy. If I want an $11 wiper blade, I have to wait until I have at least $50 worth of stuff to order before he'll send us anything! Given that the car is finished, that can take quite some time! Lighten up Bobs!

Still, better that Cars Inc. Had a terrible time with them. Don't get me started.........

Cheers

Grant

Hi there, I think the points are the same as 57 Chevy, maybe the condenser too. You can get the whole tune-up kit from Bob's or go on eBay. One thing, Bob has had to substitue AC48 for the required AC46 spark plugs. They are NOT hot enough and tend to foul. I stay in constant search on the Internet for AC46 plugs which aren't made anymore, and buy them when I can. As for the shocks, I never had any luck filling them. When they get too bad, I send a set off to Apple Hydraulics in NY and have somebody install the rebuilts when they come back. I've got a crate of used ones, but some of them have turned out to be frozen and when that happens they are throwaways. The number on the end cap is 1948A. When the cars were new they had different shocks for different models, but all of the rebuilts are interchangeable and the number 1948A on the end identifies them. They fit all Buicks 1939-1953. The rear shocks are LH and RH and fit only 1939 and you also need to check the rear shock links. If they are worn out they can break and then you have no rear shocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Gene,

I'm only an honorary '39 team member (per Grant and Danny), since mine was assembled in September of '39, but I bought points, rotor, condenser and cap from our local NAPA.

Dynaflash is right on the plugs. I've bought AC 46, 47, 48's on evil-bay, and she runs best on the 48's. You can still buy AC 49c's which are even hotter, and are still being made for some "generator" units. But don't use these for long highway drives. Too hot...

I have a whole series of posts regarding how to make a set of plug wires from individual "repair" wires for about $10.00. They have run fine for over a year.

When doing your tune up, pull the vacuum line at the carb (carby for G and D down under) and apply some vacuum to see if the distributor points plate moves. Again there is a long discussion regarding where the vacuum diaphram is, how to find one and install it, AND how to treat the fittings at each end of the tubing.

Just being a butinski here.

Mike in Colorado

PS: On the shocks issue, if you can find some Golden Spectro m/c fork oil, it has "sealer" in it. Many of the others do not.

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)