Illinois Title Question

I just bought back the first car I ever owned, a 1932 Dodge sedan - yes the actual car, back in my hands after 45 years. I live in Illinois and have been hearing horror stories about registering a pre-1948 car in this state. I never had problems in the past, but that was before a change that was apparently made in 2009. Now peple are complaining about having to bring the car to inspection stations to verify numbers and of the Liiniois Department of Revenue sending out letters demanding taxes on their "idea" of what the vehicle is "actually" worth after you have registered the car and supposedly paid all your fees. They then revoke your license and make you pay all over again for plates and fees after you get the car bonded.

Has anyone registered their antique/classic vehicle in the state of Illinois recently, and have you had any problems? My Dodge is arriving from Connecticut with a clear title and a bill of sale next month, and I'm hoping getting a title won't be some sort of nightmare.

Thanks in advance for any information on this subject.

RT

I recently registered a 1937 Ford in original condition with out of state title. I had no problems getting an Illinois title for the car or registering it.

I applied for Antique Automobile license plates and I recieved them in quick order--no inspection what so ever.

And that is in Cook County, where if they can squeeze another nickle out of you they would. No inspection, no hoops.

Your source of information must be mistaken. I was unaware that anything had changed. Seemed like the same old routine.

I paid Illlinois Tax, Cook County Tax, city vehicle sticker, title fee and Antique Auto License plates.

Can you post a link to these "changes" in Illinois Antique Auto Registration?

PP

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

In my experience over the last three years in Illinois, if the car is a pre-1940 model and it currently has an out of state title, you will receive a letter that will require you to have the vehicle inspected by a law enforcement officer to verify the serial number. He has to fill out and sign the form that came in the letter. You then send that information to the Secretary Of State Police and they will release the title papers and you will get your title. I just called the County Sheriff (I live in a rural area) and once I convinced the lady on the phone that they can do this, an officer arrived , looked at the car, signed the paper and was gone in ten minutes. A good time to call them is on a Sunday afternoon as it is usually a quiet shift. If your car is out of state at a restorer's, the shop can get a local officer to inspect the car and fill out your papers. I have had to do that also, as I did not want to wait for the title until after I received the car. I also have had to actually call the Secretary of State police and ask what happened as they forgot to send the paperwork and my title was held up in never-never land.

As for Department of Revenue, ALWAYS buy your car from a private individual and you will automatically pay a tax rate of $25.00 for cars over a certain age, even if you buy a Deusenberg. By from a dealer and you pay 6.25%, and this is where the Dept of Rev can come looking at the reported value of the car. With a private sale their hands are tied.

Hope this helps, as I have been down this road recently.

In my experience over the last three years in Illinois, if the car is a pre-1940 model and it currently has an out of state title, you will receive a letter that will require you to have the vehicle inspected by a law enforcement officer to verify the serial number. He has to fill out and sign the form that came in the letter. You then send that information to the Secretary Of State Police and they will release the title papers and you will get your title. I just called the County Sheriff (I live in a rural area) and once I convinced the lady on the phone that they can do this, an officer arrived , looked at the car, signed the paper and was gone in ten minutes. A good time to call them is on a Sunday afternoon as it is usually a quiet shift. If your car is out of state at a restorer's, the shop can get a local officer to inspect the car and fill out your papers. I have had to do that also, as I did not want to wait for the title until after I received the car. I also have had to actually call the Secretary of State police and ask what happened as they forgot to send the paperwork and my title was held up in never-never land.

As for Department of Revenue, ALWAYS buy your car from a private individual and you will automatically pay a tax rate of $25.00 for cars over a certain age, even if you buy a Deusenberg. By from a dealer and you pay 6.25%, and this is where the Dept of Rev can come looking at the reported value of the car. With a private sale their hands are tied.

Hope this helps, as I have been down this road recently.

Never recieved any letter for my 1937 car and out of state title. I have the new Illinois title and there was no inspection. Been about a year already.

So, my experience here in Cook County was very different from what has been described.

DWR46's experience is what i've been hearing about. I, too, live in a rural area. I hope, if they want a confirmation of the serial number, that I can get an officer to come out to my place and sign the paperwork. Maybe, like PP, I'll get lucky and they'll just send me my title. They did recently pass a new law in Illinois that allows you to drive an antique car as many miles as you want from April through September if you pay an additional $45 for your plates. No more restrictions to just club events and shows if you're willing to cough up the extra dough.

• 3 months later...

Just to follow up, I had no problems getting my Illinois title. They did send the paperwork back because I hadn't signed the form for unfettered summer driving. I signed it and sent everything back in and got my title about two months later.