1930 30-61 Sedan door/window winders

Guest Ynysmon

Guest Ynysmon

I've just aquired a 30-61 Sedan which retains all i'ts original upholstery and interior fittings. ( Apart from a respray 35 years ago the car is very original and the mileage at 59500 appears correct). The interior door handles and window winders are very tight and need oiling. Ideally I'd like to remove the handles and door cards to access the mechanisms. Not sure as to how to remove the handles - they do not appear to be spring loaded. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to damage the handles or eschutcheons.

The window cranks on the 1930 Buick 60 series are different from the 40 series in that they are threaded rather than spring loaded and can usually be rotated off by hand. Remove by backing off the escutcheon which threads into the window regulator and (hopefully) pull the female socket of the crank from its male counterpart on the regulator. In picture #1 the shape of your escutcheon appears on the right side while a handle from a 40 series appears on the left. However note that this does not take into account the fact the they are formed of 83 year old pot metal which has a very real tendency to swell, thus resulting in the fact that your cranks are stiff to operate. The clearance between the crank and the escutcheon is reduced/eliminated and there is no way to correct for this as they are all part of a single assembly which will surely be destroyed if you attempt to separate them. There is a strong likelihood that they will never free up adequately no matter how much lubricant you use on them due to this fact. In my case I had to replace every single one of the cranks on my car with stainless steel reproductions as I was never able to get enough freedom of movement in them. Fortunately reproductions are still available but will cost you well over $1K to do your entire car. Perhaps you will be lucky and be able to avoid this expense, but be aware nevertheless of what may be required.

Thanks,

post-63406-143141750222_thumb.jpg

post-63406-143141750229_thumb.jpg

post-63406-143141750235_thumb.jpg

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

Congrats on your '30-61.

I have been experimenting with heating the "female" part of immovable fitments (with a small propane torch), and immediately freezing the "male" part with a bottle of electronic keyboard spray turned upside down. I have had some excellent results.

Wear safety googles and remember the spray penetrant you sprayed on and failed to work is highly volatile! Wear gloves. Both hot and cold pieces will burn your skin. Work at your own risk

Edited by Dwight Romberger
I spelt a few words corect by mesteak. (see edit history)

I fully agree with Dwight and Michael. You are getting some great advice here! My son's 29 Buick is in need of new winders and he just cannot afford the reproductions.

The stainless will not match the originals. So, if you do manage to remove one or two without breaking the threads, I would be interested in buying them to help out my son.

Guest Ynysmon

Thank you for the replies and good advice. I guess the obvious answer is leave well alone and use a bit more strength in turning the handles. They do turn and hopefully will improve over time.

Maldwyn Jones in Wales UK.