ticking noise in exhaust

Guest Robert Ricci

Guest Robert Ricci

On a 63 Riv 401, I have a clicking noise in exhaust. Could it be the exhaust manifold heat riser located in manifold? Goes away when car is warm, very loud when cold upon excerlation. Car has 44k and a recent valve job.

Bob

Find a cheap auto stethoscope at some place like harbor freight and see if you can isolate the exact spot where the leak is. That will help determine where you need to begin. It could be the heat riser, a blown gasket, or even the plug on the bottom of the intake manifold. Are you sure that it's not a lifter that's not pumping up until the oil gets warm? They sound pretty much the same.

Ed

Guest Robert Ricci
Find a cheap auto stethoscope at some place like harbor freight and see if you can isolate the exact spot where the leak is. That will help determine where you need to begin. It could be the heat riser, a blown gasket, or even the plug on the bottom of the intake manifold. Are you sure that it's not a lifter that's not pumping up until the oil gets warm? They sound pretty much the same.

Ed

I dont hear it in t he engine just in the right rear. At first I thought it was the hubcap, I have the deluxe turbine spinners. I thought the right rear was loose.

It could also be the infamous 'Riviera rattle' which is caused by the fuel lines hitting each other. I've never experienced it on any of my Rivs, but someone who has can probably tell you when it's most likely to occur and what to do to fix it.

Or, you could have a rock or lug nut rattling around inside your wheel cover. It will make noise when you're going slow but centrifical force will hold it in place when you're going fast. When you slow down again, it will rattle again.

Did you ever put rocks through the slots in wheel covers when you were a kid just to confuse someone - like your math teacher when his car was in the school parking lot?

Ed