Horn doesn't work and signals don't cancel.

cool57

Guest brivi65

Hey cool57, mine was like that when I got it, couldn't for the life of me figure it out, then I got to talking to a fellow Rivi owner at a show and he pointed me to the cable that runs down the inside of the steering tube, apperently the tilt wheel going up and down all the time can break the cable, I took it apart and it was the plastic contact disc inside the column, it was shattered in like 100 pieces, after some calls to friends I found one from a column with a bad cable so I got the whole column cheap, replaced it and problem solved, you may need to check both. Brian

I think that a broad statement that the horn and turn signals are two separate problems has been stated, nothing in detail. No real "fixes." Just that you need to be looking to solve one problem at a time. The problem I've heard most about the broken cable is not that the signals don't cancel, but that they only work when the wheel is in a certain position. Jim Cannon has done quite a bit of research on this, perhaps he'll chime in here as well. There are numerous wires between the horn button and the acutual horns. You'll probably need to get a test light and start tracing from the horns back to the switch.

Ed

Guest Steeleco

My 63 horn did not work and it was the contacts on the horn relay under the hood. I pried off the cover of the relay and cleaned the contacts (sand paper). Works great now.

There are two horns on the car. If neither work, you can probably rule out the horns themselves, but they're easy to check with a hot wire. Start there with each horn, then work your way toward the horn button checking each terminal and section of wire until you find the problem.

I bought a '66 Riviera on which the taillights and brake lights didn't work; I knew this going in. When I went to look at the car, it was something that was well worth the money ($200) so I knew I was going home with it. The seller had replaced all of the bulbs, sockets, and had run new ground wires to each side. After looking it over, I pulled up the trunk mat, pushed the rear harness into the flat harness and drove off. I thought the guy was going to cry when I left. He was apparently fed up and was selling the car because it "couldn't be fixed." You'll never know where you might find a wiring problem. Maybe the ground wire in the harness that runs across the radiator support is not connected. Who knows until you work every angle.

Ed

Guest brivi65
Thanks.

So cable for signals and contact for horn. Correct?

Yes, in mine anyway, I have a four note horn and none where working, so I knew it was the column somewhere, for a quick fix on the turn signals, I put on a built in type that straps around the column, worked great and I had hazard flashers too. Brian

post-90681-143141761108_thumb.jpg