Radiator Recore - Rebuild

Guest 48Ragtop

Guest 48Ragtop

I'm looking for a reputable radiator repair shop in Southern New England – would welcome suggestions. I'm actually in SE Connecticut but I'm prepared to drive a bit to get the right shop. Not sure if I need a new core or simply have the unit cleaned, pressure tested, rodded, etc? In any case I want an experienced shop that specializes in radiators as their primary business. I’m not doing a concours restoration, but would like to stay somewhat authentic to appearance. My primary goal is improved cooling and reliability. The car is a 1948 Cadillac, Series 62 with original 346 V8.

Information and/or input appreciated:

Number of rows of tubes providing best performance.

Any advice regarding the copper vs. aluminum debate would be appreciated.

Am I better off with a new unit vs. a re-cored original radiator?

I can't speak to your particular radiator but I can say that from my experiance any 60ish year old radiator is on very borrowed time and in addition has lost a significant portion of it's cooling capacity due to crud build up. Rodding it out usually will free some tubes but many others will remain blocked. Over time and the stresses of doing it's job the brass will stress crack and the solder joints do like wise. If it's not leaking now it probably will.

A well done recore is the surest way to a trouble free cool running engine. The down side is it is expensive. Ball park figure is North of $800 for a correct fin tube recore. S.E. Conn. mite be higher..............Bob

Guest 48Ragtop

Bob:

Thank you for your insightful comments.

I tend to think you are correct. Full recore is probably the best path, costly, but you get what you pay for.

Thanks, Ed

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Infinity Performance

I would agree that a full recore is the best end product. I'd prefer that over replacement, and as Bob indicated, anything short of a full recore is likely a short term fix with less than optimal results.

If you would consider shipping, there is a place in Ohio that I've worked with before and just had them give me a ballpark quote of $550 to recore a 54 Cadillac radiator.

They do nice work. You'll get original style with your original tanks painted in whatever gloss you'd prefer. They're better and look nicer than new radiators I've bought.

They might be worth a call: Industrial Radiator & AC 330-894-2848