1953 Skylark Glass

rwchatham

Is tinted or clear glass correct in a 1953 Skylark ? Thanks

Easy-Eye Glass (green tint) was 'standard' on a 1953 Buick Roadmaster Skylark (Model 76X). It was available as a factory option (extra charge) on all other 1953 Buick's.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Al, thanks for the response, should the windshield have the dark band across the top also or just tinted ? Thanks again.

There was not a darker shaded band across the top of the OEM Libbey-Owens-Ford (LOF) windshield on 1953 Buicks. Tint was a uniform green throughout. Note that Buick called tinted glass EASY-EYE, whereas LOF called their tinted glass E-Z-EYE and etched it as such.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

I have owned three 53 Skylarks, all of which have had the EZEye tinted glass with the Shade bar across the top of the windshield. The first was an all original car which I purchased from the original owner and had the LOF windshield. I busted the windshield removing it during the resto. (12 years ago) and searched for months before finding a replacement. The replacement also was EZEye glass with the shadebar across the top. Replacements seem to be easier to come by today.

.....so some Skylarks had the dark band and some did not as Al says.....

I do have an original (cracked) 1953 Buick Skylark windshield from the first Skylark that I owned. It's in my storage garage that I will be going to, hopefully, this weekend. I will take pictures, post the pics, and confirm or correct what I said in my Post #4 above.

Note that Classic Auto Glass (from the internet) offers three REPOP choices: a clear, a green tint, and a green tint with a blue shade that you are questioning. Two of the three choices are not OEM correct.

<center>[TABLE=width: 100%]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]<form method="post" action="http://www.cartserver.com/sc/cart.cgi"><center>53 BUICK WINDSHIELD

SKYLARK

CONVERTIBLE

AVAILABLE TINTS

CLEAR - GREEN TINT - GREEN TINT w/ BLUE SHADE

truck.gif

SHIPS TRUCK FREIGHT - WILL BE ADDED TO PRICE

<select name="op1"> <option selected="" value="=error= You must select a Glass Tint!">Select a Glass Tint</option> <option value="Clear - 0">Clear</option> <option value="Green Tint - 0">Green Tint</option> <option value="Green Tint w/ Blue Shade - 0">Green Tint w/ Blue Shade</option></select>

<select name="op2"> <option selected="" value="=error= You must select Residential or Commercial Shipping!">Select Residential or Commercial Shipping</option> <option value="Truck Freight / Commercial Address / $135 - 135">Truck Freight / Commercial Address / $135</option> <option value="Truck Freight / Residential Address / $175 - 175">Truck Freight / Residential Address / $175</option></select> </center>

</form>[/TD]

[TD]$542.00<input border="0" name="add" src="http://www.metropartsmarket.com/glass/buy.gif" type="image">

PART NUMBER

CG-DW327

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

</center>

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

This may be off topic, but my 53 Super Riviera Hardtop has all of its original correctly dated LOF E-Z-EYE glass. The windshield is green as is the rest of the glass and there is a blue band tint across the top. Here is a photo, sorry about the size but its hard to see the tint if its smaller.

post-61969-143141762062_thumb.jpg