1927 MOON ROADSTER

JustDave

HELVERYONE,ive just started the restoration on my moon roadster,the sheetmetal is very rusty,mainly heavy surface rust,ive been told to use electrolisis or molasses te clean the metal,question one is which is better,question two can i soak the motor in it,the plugs have been out for probably 50 years so i want to see if i can derust it before teardown,theres also some pot metal on the engine will either way damage the pot metal, appreciate any ideas dave

Never tried molasses, but did try electrolosis last summer on the two upper halves of a 32 ford hood that was 100% surfaced rusted, very thin, very deep pits.

It was a pain. You need to place electrodes in differing places to get all areas to bubble. To all those people who say that electrolosis does not hurt good metal...they are full of s... I had to keep scrubbing and moving electodes, flipping the panels upside down to get both sides, and I started to see that the sharp close bends near the center hinge, were splitting apart at both ends. There were no splits when I started, so it was eating metal. I also saw the front and back edges that are just one thickness of metal, went from a nice straight edge, to chewed up looking.

On top of all that work, it did not come clean enough after days of experimenting. It turns the metal black, and there were rusty blotches all over, due to not having dozens of electrodes. I threw the tank out, and sandblasted it with light pressure instead.

"There are no free rides" :)

Will you start a resto thread? I am not the only one who wants to see a 27 Moon...

The motor; you should never do any type of acid on cast iron or potmetal, it will turn it to craters. I don't know if molasses is acidic, but I am positive you should not do electrolosis on cast iron or potmetal.

Edited by F&J (see edit history)

HELVERYONE,ive just started the restoration on my moon roadster,the sheetmetal is very rusty,mainly heavy surface rust,ive been told to use electrolisis or molasses te clean the metal,question one is which is better,question two can i soak the motor in it,the plugs have been out for probably 50 years so i want to see if i can derust it before teardown,theres also some pot metal on the engine will either way damage the pot metal, appreciate any ideas dave

Dave Check here:

I can't praise Molasses enough, it works!

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

THANKS GUYS, i will start a thread in the restoration coleumn as soon as i can figure out how to post pictures,dont expect much this car sat outside in central calif for about fifty years before i got it,all the wood is gone i have a fiew pieces for patterns but not much,the car is very rough but after seeing old car,landman and dean h perform miracles i thought id better get started,last weekend i dismanteled the sheetmetal,now im going to pull the chassic apart and bring the frame to the shop and check it to make sure its nice and straight,in the mean time id like to get the sheetmetal cleaned and primed and start sheetmetal repairs and the wood frame,again dont expect much its very very sad dave