fan clutch

rocky5517

I'm getting ready to replace radiator on my 67 Riv. One of the members suggested that it's good practice to check the fan clutch at this time.

Question; how do I know when the fan clutch is bad? When I shut the engine down, the fan spun for about 3 seconds.

Much thanx in advance

That's a good sign that it's not engaged IF the engine/radiator water temperature is cool. You can tell it's working if, when the engine heats up and air needs to be pulled through the radiator, the fan emits a loud roar. That's ths sound of it pulling air through the radiator.

You don't tell us where you live, so we don't know if you're North where it's cold this time of year, or if you're by chance "down under" where it's hot. It would also help if we knew after what kind of driving situation you've just left. Was it a 2 minute trip to the corner grocery, or a longer trip on the highway for hours pulling a heavy load.

Why are you replacing the radiator? If you're having a heating problem, it could be the fan clutch in the first place.

Ed

If you buy a new clutch get it from CARS. They are very close to originals in appearance and have the exterior thermostat coil and gold cad front.

Fan clutchs are tough to diagnose through a static test. I found that you will "hear" the difference on a hot engine vs cold. You will hear a noticeable increase in the whirr or wind sound coming from fan with a good clutch when a "hot" engine is first started because the heat from the rad will have fully engaged the clutch. Sometimes I've even heard mine kick in when waiting in line at a toll booth on a warm day. On a cold engine you won't hear it.

Highly technical test I know.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

I live in North New Jersey and I did this test a few days ago- temp was about 35 degrees. I let her warm up onlya few minutes. Radiator has a small leak- only acts up when I engage the AC, small drip but it's on the lower section of the rad.

Fans clutches are complicated, I see.

The fan freewheels (saves hp and gas) when it's not needed. When the thermal part of the clutch gets to a predetermined temperature, the fan engages. The thermal mechanism senses the temperature of the coolant in the radiator. If the cooloant is cooler than the mechanism, the fan free wheels (turns but not engaged.) When the coolant is warmer, the fan engages and runs at engine speed.

Lots of other criteria should be looked at when dealing with the coolant temperature. Are the fins in the radiator allowing air through it? Is your shroud aligned properly with the fan blade? Is the shroud pretty well seated against the radiator? Is your block clean? All sorts of stuff that will still effect coolant temperature even with a new radiator.

Ed

If you want to replace the clutch they are available at your local parts store. I bought one (correct for the car) at a local Oreilly's for $32 Sept.-Oct. 2012. They may have made a mistake in billing. But I was pleased. It does sound like your fan is fine. Be careful if you replace it there are several thermal clutch fans. It may take a old wise parts man to look it up. I had a kid look up the clutch. he quoted a price of $174. I said that for the a/c clutch. It was. An older gent said "you gotta use the book kid". Showed him how and I got a deal.

Edited by bb1970 (see edit history)

Guest brivi65

I just ordered a fan clutch from Centerville Auto, www.nailheadbuick.com, it was $32.00 and the correct one for the car, I also ordered his new no leaks stainless steel dip stick with orings for $32.95, it was a no brainer, this guy knows his nailheads. Brian

2004-01-06-00.17.01-300x225.jpg