Lowered Rivi Pictures

RockinRiviDad

Hello Gentlemen,

I am looking for visual help on choosing a new ride height for my First Gen Rivi (65). I have my front end apart & now is the time to freshen up all rubber components too. I am leaning towards GS spec springs from Coil Spring Specialties (coilsprings.com) with a 2" drop & Bilstein shocks? With that, I also want the Hot Rod raked stance. I was hoping for help by asking you to post pictures of your lowered Rivieras on this thread. Also, if you would please post some info that I will outline as a guide for me and others to use in our decision it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and I really appreciate your help.

1. What kind of spring rate did you decided on?

2. How many inches did you drop front/rear?

3. What lowering method used? (ie cut/heated springs, drop spindles or drop springs)

4. What size wheels and tires are you running?

5. What brand of shocks?

6. Who/where did you buy your components from?

7. What was the cost? (ie springs/shocks)

8. Finally, how do you like the ride and performance of your set up? If anything, what would you do different?

Thanks again

David

'65 Riviera, Deluxe, A/C

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)

OK David: This really doesn't address your post as far as the tech info you are seeking so please bear with me. This is just my opinion here. I think that First-Gen Rivs with their rear ends up in the air look as ridiculous as these cars having fender skirts. Now, to the lowering part. I have settled on a height that is about what the car would be with the stock springs sagging a bit. If I knew how to post pictures I could show you with a tape measure.

I really haven't seen to many First-Gens with modifications I really have taken a shine to. We have all seen the door handles shaved, the emblems removed, we all have seen them slammed and with aftermarket rims, painted different colors and you know what? While I would never take another person's vision away from them "I", seem to keep gravitating back to stock. It's like this power that has taken over.

I posted a thread a few weeks back asking for suggestions how to get the sheet metal straight on these cars. The reason was because I really think an extremely square front clip jacks these cars up a lot. I will even go as far as saying that a square front clip dwarfs most mods. Many go to great lengths to modify their cars and I feel a square front clip is a better start. Again, just my take. I'm not a purist although my blurb here could sound like that. I just like e'm stock and STRAIGHT. Lousy paint, stuffing coming out of the seats? Well to respond to that I went to the store to purchase a new shirt and I asked the clerk if they had any with frayed elbows, collars and spaghetti stains on the front. Thanks for letting me semi-hijack your post. Mitch

Edited by lrlforfun (see edit history)

Guest 63 rivenge

Ok so here you go.......Running 15 inch tires, Vintique 23 Supremes, inch and a quarter whites, new shocks ( Delco) .....2 inch lowering springs all the way around. She sits level all the way around, 8 inches from the ground to the bottom of the rockers...........curb feelers, 2 inch dump pipes (sounds good when you uncork them)I have about $420.00 in the springs, $150 in shocks, $350 for the install. Might even go for a set of Bellflower Exhaust in the Spring.........Not to worry working on a 65 Stock Riv also

If you know all of the specs of your wheels and the size of the tires you want to run, you can compare them to your OE tire/wheel combo by using tire calucations software such as the one I'm attaching. Make sure you put the OE tire/wheel info on the left side.

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

You can also take your car to a professional tire installation shop and they can fit your hub with a tool which can be adjusted to simulate your tire and wheel of choice.

The tool looks like this.

wheelrite-detail.jpg

A friend of mine did this with his '65. After measuring everything, he had the wheel he wanted custom made. No extra charge for the custom fabrication because each wheel is individually cut from a block of aluminum and all the manufacturer does is change the settings on the computerized lathe that shapes the wheels.

Here's mine. 3" drop springs from OPGI. They were on sale before the holidays, I paid about $350 shipped. Stock shocks. These pics are with Goodyear 235/75-15's on road wheels. They rubbed the fenders & frame at full lock. Last weekend I had a new set of Cooper Trendsetter 215/75-15's put on it. Don't have any new pics to post yet. This smaller tire should have brought it down another 1/2" or so. I haven't got out the tape measure yet.

Unfortunately, I can't give you any ride/performance feedback. It's not registered yet & it's still Winter here in Detroit. I've driven it around my subdivision, 25-30mph max.

post-86321-143141753403_thumb.jpg

post-86321-143141753412_thumb.jpg

Guest brivi65

"Unfortunately, I can't give you any ride/performance feedback. It's not registered yet & it's still Winter here in Detroit. I've driven it around my subdivision, 25-30mph max.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> "

Man, it must be cool to cruise around Detroit in a first gen Riv! Just Matt and 63Rivenge your cars looks so sweet, but now I can't decide on 2" or 3", they both look great and being in flat land Florida I'm not too worried about getting stranded on a hill peak, been there done that with a Mazda PU in Tenn, but I want to get the springs ordered and on by summer, I think I'm just gonna have to pull the trigger on something soon! Thanks for the pics and info, Brian.

• 3 weeks later...
I think that First-Gen Rivs with their rear ends up in the air look as ridiculous as these cars having fender skirts.

I really haven't seen to many First-Gens with modifications I really have taken a shine to.

Mitch

Mitch,

Please excuse my late response. Thank you for the input. I agree that "rear ends in the air are as ridiculous as fender skirts on these cars." These pics show what I don't want. But like u said I don't wanna take away from someone's vision.

post-89871-143141783928_thumb.jpg

post-89871-14314178393_thumb.jpg

I am hoping to achieve just a mild racked look like this picture

post-89871-143141783919_thumb.jpg

Although, the wheels look a bit too big for my taste. Looks like the bigger wheels in the rear are what he did for his rack??

I am doing a budget build so not many mods catch my eye either due to being broke lol. I prob wouldn't do anything more than what I'm doing now (wheels, tires, ride height, engine dress up parts)

Thanks again

David

'65 Riviera, Deluxe, A/C

Not to worry working on a 65 Stock Riv also

I'm not worried lol like Mitch mentioned above, I'm not a purist either. Your ride looks awesome. You have done a great job with your mods. I think I will be going with 2" drop springs too. Do you have any rubbing issues? Oops, you already answered that question, disregard lol

Thanks a bunch for all your input, Bob.

David

'65 Riviera, Deluxe, A/C

Unfortunately, I can't give you any ride/performance feedback. It's not registered yet & it's still Winter here in Detroit. I've driven it around my subdivision, 25-30mph max.

Just Matt,

I agree with Brian, both 2" & 3" drops look awesome. Both cars looks good guys. Keep up the good work.

David

'65 Riviera, Deluxe, A/C