Disaster

stealthbob

I can't help but think that maybe my posting here has had an effect? He is a car guy and they are a huge car hauler that deals with high end stuff.

It seems odd that a owner like this man would know to call me, also ask about calling me Robert or Bob?

My sig says Bob....all they had was Robert?

Regardless they (the owner) has come in with great respect, which is why I am so very glad I kept my head through this.

I posted that these things happen, the measure of a company is how they deal with the issue.

I hope I can proudly post the name one day of a great company that stood up to a mistake and made it right.

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

Stealthbob,

That is great news! Man, after looking at the pictures, it was just plain awful to see. I am so glad for you that the owner of the company took charge to get involved personnally to make this whole for you. I have a feeling that when you come through Detroit this July, you will be grinning from ear to ear, driving this car to South Bend..I'll just fall in behind you in the caravan!!! :)

I'm sure this isn't the first nor will it be the last time your shipper has had to deal with damage. Stuff happens. Sounds like the owner handled it as well as anyone could expect. The moral of your story is to be very sure the transporter you choose is fully insured before letting them load your car. I always worry about the many "fly by night" transporters who offer cheap hauling. Even though they all claim to be fully insured, are they really? Very sad for the car. You can never call it an untouched original again.

Well I got to finally see her, the damage does not look as bad in person. Its isolated entirely to the center section of the roof, no side damage at all! Also the depression is not as deep as thought, the glass makes it look alot worse.

I have to say, I met a real gentleman yesterday. He is the owner of the company and has quite the history. He was a trucker his whole life, he shared many stories of his exploits over his 78 years. He gave me a tour of the facility and made a point to introduce me to every staff member I have been in contact with. You can just feel the respect they had for him as they interacted, almost like he was a father figure. Turns out, he is into restoration of old trucks (Transport Tractors) and was particularity proud of the one that was "All Original". Later we went over to his body shop guy...same thing this air of respect. I met the two guys who will take care of it, from the looks of their previous work I'm sure they will do a great job.

In all I was there almost 3 hours and was made to feel like the most important guy there...they will take care of the full repair bill and deliver it. I will still pay for the delivery. I maybe left some on the table there, I was so concerned about the damage getting fixed as it will be an extensive bill. Maybe I should have pushed at least for their margin on the haul but in the end I'm ok with it. No need for blood here, it was a mistake, I received a most honest apology and they are fixing it.

The neat part was I got to see her for the first time...wow! The dash is perfect, and the interior has great potential after a clean up. I will likely remove the seat covers, they are a little crispy. In all I am very pleased with the condition and can't wait to get her home!

8477679164_857d18f702.jpg

8477684122_d5f2b5b2c3.jpg

Good luck Bob. It sounds good as can be expected. Like you said, accidents happen. It's nice to hear that the employees have respect for the boss. Says they have been treated fairly, and you stand a better than average chance of being treated fairly as well. And on the bright side you'll have a brand new unpitted by life windshield. At least I hope they source a brand new one and not a used one. Looking forward to the after pictures.

FYI, BCA judging allows cars in the Archival or Unrestored class to have one panel repainted, and still be eligible for Archival class. The roof would be considered "one panel". Any more repaint than that, and it would have to go into the regular 400-point judging class. Terrible shame, but it looks to me like the roof is repairable.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Tx.

Well put...and thanks

" ..... What does this do to the level of it being judged as an Un-restored Survivor?"

Well, you could leave it like this and just drive it onto the judging fields stressing that it is indeed a survivor.

But seriously, when you signed the shipping agreement with them what caveats did the long paper small print have on it regarding shipping mishaps and declared extent of damages payable? If and when you signed their agreement you could of attached your own drafted rider agreement made out by you that detailed who pays for what if (like in this scenario) things go sideways and/or they sardine your car with ten other cars in a 8 car trailer. Even if you signed a limited liability agreement with them, they have a cursory responsibility to proceed, handle and secure your car in a professional and workmanlike fashion. Loading a transport in such a fashion so that it has through the mere normal limits of it's own suspension travel, the ability to make contact with other solid objects of potential destruction is a particular line item for breach and specific performance.

I would carry this battle flag and go for loss of value, utility and marketability including a separate amount in lieu of loss of future value dividends which can and could be attributed to it's established "survivor class" status at time of purchase and one of the points of consideration when purchasing the car in the first place. However with this said, was the hauler an established document concern or some cowboy firm with a truck and large trailer working for next weeks groceries?

FYI, BCA judging allows cars in the Archival or Unrestored class to have one panel repainted, and still be eligible for Archival class. The roof would be considered "one panel". Any more repaint than that, and it would have to go into the regular 400-point judging class. Terrible shame, but it looks to me like the roof is repairable.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Tx.

After reading the latest and greatest regarding this evolving class judging about a month ago, I understood that it stated a given X percentage of total surface area could be new. Not just a panel but a given percentage of the total surface area of the car in question? Did I miss something regarding a clause referring to single panels?

I would carry this battle flag and go for loss of value, utility and marketability including a separate amount in lieu of loss of future value dividends which can and could be attributed to it's established "survivor class" status at time of purchase and one of the points of consideration when purchasing the car in the first place. However with this said, was the hauler an established document concern or some cowboy firm with a truck and large trailer working for next weeks groceries?

All I have to say is after meeting the owner of the company and spending an afternoon together I would use them again in a heartbeat. I have not felt that level of respect from any business I have dealt with, ever.

It was not contrived nor a feign attempt to make me happy....it was if a good friend made a mistake, felt horrible and just wanted to make it right.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Tx.

Thanks you Pete for clearing that up for me...my fear was that the "Survivor" status would be lost forever.

I plan on driving it from Perth Ontario to South Bend this year...you can all come by and see Harriet and her new repair.

Just some more background, turns out that "Harriet" was owned by Harriet R Wilson Mother of Virginia Harriet Wilkinson of Wilkinson Buick in Bountiful Utah. Yes there is a Buick dealership in the provenance of this one owner Buick. I have inquired a bit about this from the seller (Grandson of Harriet, son of Virginia) but he doesn't seem too interested in any in depth communication. He did seem happy that I was interested in the history but our dialog has been short. I am trying to find the line of respect for privacy and the insane want of historical info.

There may be some treasures in the car....can you believe I forgot to check the glove box? Also I can't believe I missed noticing this item on the passenger floor in this picture:

8477682606_6a08da6a32_c.jpg

Robert that is good and hope nothing but the best. But we all know that your drama could of gone & spun out 51/50 in an any array of ways.

Remember the saying: " There is good in everyone"? There is also the standard reply to that which is: " Then you have'nt met everyone yet".

Robert that is good and hope nothing but the best. But we all know that your drama could of gone & spun out 51/50 in an any array of ways.

Remember the saying: " There is good in everyone"? There is also the standard reply to that which is: " Then you have'nt met everyone yet".

David, methinks Roberts glass is half full. Is yours half empty??

Ben

LOL...reminds me of my favorite quote by Churchill:

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm"

That being said, I won't lie...I was pretty beat up over this at the start when it was looking like I had another project car to deal with and not a driver. My first attempt turned into a project quick...now this?

Just glad it is working out and that I will have a chance to drive to the Nationals this year in a 54 Buick...hopefully with my Dad

• 1 month later...

Patience is not something I am known for...but here I am still waiting.

The shop has been great, they even setup an FTP site to send pics.

Just had a set back however, the dammed glass that was shipped showed up broke!

It seems this car does not want to be delivered.....

Here are some of the pics, as it enters the shop and how they are repairing it.

post-62521-143141815788_thumb.jpg

post-62521-143141815815_thumb.jpg

post-62521-143141815841_thumb.jpg

post-62521-143141815867_thumb.jpg

post-62521-143141815894_thumb.jpg

post-62521-143141815919_thumb.jpg

Yea the snow is melting fast....saw a nice 58 Chrysler out on the road today!

I just don't want to lose any 54 Buick Highway time....I really wanted to take my daughter to her 1st communion in it which is in 2 weeks, doesn't look good now.

Congratulations for your daughter!!!

There is NOTHING wrong with using filler, as long as it is THIN, and properly applied.

I have tested HIGH QUALITY filler on a thin flat sheet of steel, and it does a great job of adhering even when bending the sheet. The windshield area is strong, and less likely to be an issue, IMO.

Dale in Indy

Dale, if this was my car, an original survivor, I would not allow it. Filler is just that, filler. It's fine on a commercial job, but not on a quality restoration. If the body man was really any good, he wouldn't be using the copious amounts in the photo. I'd buy a spot here and there to cover any tool marks but nowhere near as much as that guy is using.

Looks good to me. After he sands most of the filler off there will be just a few patches 0.020" thick. Like at the shows when someone brags that their resto only has 2 tsp of filler; then I tell them I used 2 gallons on mine!

post-30648-143141818128_thumb.jpg

This was after sanding 15 year old failed paint (lacquer)...all of the substrate was good and retained --- What filler?

Willie

~DJ~, You, or anyone else should restore your car/cars as you see best. You won't get an argument from me regarding such.

With that said, fillers have come a long way, MOST quality shops use it. The fact that a lot goes on doesn't tell the real story, it's what is left AFTER the sanding etc. that counts, IMO.

My Limited has filler, such was put on in 1993, 20 years ago, NO sign of failure, NONE. I have seen a lot of LEAD issues over the years, a lot has to do with the body man.

Dale in Indy

I think they did an excellent job getting the dents out and repairing the welt where the chrome trim will go. Unless they were putting a new skin on I doubt any repair can be made satisfactory without filler. Trying to look at the silver lining, you won't have to worry about the original paint on the roof getting so thin that the metal rusts underneath it, and you also will not have to put that car on a rotisserie to paint the roof yourself.

If you guys saw it in person you would know that no matter what some filler had to be used...there were some serious creases and compound bends some of which were just not assessable from the underside.

They used many weld tip pullers which attached to a huge hydraulic boom then tapped it all down, I wanted to save the roof liner so they are avoiding having to tap from underneath.

It looks heavy on the bondo in the pics but if you look at what he was covering...it looks pretty damm straight. That will sand down to very little while giving a perfect smooth radius.

So now I wait for a second piece of glass to arrive, atleast it won"t be long as the work sould be done soon.

BTW, Thanks for the comment Fr. Buick...she is growing so fast. It should be a very special day.

Almost there....I have to say I am amazed at what a good body guy can do. The radius of a roof has to be a difficult thing to get right and these pics sure look like he got it right.

Primer on now and waiting on the second shipment of glass, looking good to be home for next weekend yahoo.gif

post-62521-143141831509_thumb.jpg

post-62521-143141831535_thumb.jpg

post-62521-143141831561_thumb.jpg

Yeash...still waiting on glass, they broke the second one. It arrived again with cracks all over it?

Somebody has to get a hold of who ever is packing these things and shoot him.

The good news is they were able to find someone elsewhere who is selling a beautiful NOS piece..all with the correct markings. This one is being crated up and shipped by air...not that its was ok to have the others break, if they break this NOS piece it would be a crime.

It's strange almost like ol Harriet is pissed off.

Yeash...still waiting on glass, they broke the second one. It arrived again with cracks all over it?

Somebody has to get a hold of who ever is packing these things and shoot him.

The good news is they were able to find someone elsewhere who is selling a beautiful NOS piece..all with the correct markings. This one is being crated up and shipped by air...not that its was ok to have the others break, if they break this NOS piece it would be a crime.

It's strange almost like ol Harriet is pissed off.

I guess that type of windshield poses issues in getting it shipped safely.

I had a windshield shipped for my '51 Cadillac many years ago that made it unscathed. It didn't have any wrap-around sections as a '54 does.

It was placed in a bag then put in a box. Then the box was filled with expansive foam all around the glass. It made for a very well cushioned package. One thing I don't remember whether the box had a wood frame built around it.

It is a difficult piece to ship, not only compound curves but leading edges on the sides of the front to create pressure points.

That notwithstanding shipping glass is not a new thing nor difficult. My bet it was the cause of non supervised employee who doesn't give a rats @sss.

I personally talked with the guy who is selling the NOS piece (wanted to confirm his assertion) he told me it took him 2 hours to pack it.

Need some good Buick thoughts for this one guys...its been 4 months since I bought his car!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok..the glass is installed and the car is heading back to the shippers for shipping.

Things have changed though...when I made the settlement I was under the impression that it was only a couple of weeks for the repair. It has now been 9 weeks since I made the trip to see the car, almost 5 months since I bought it and called for transport.

Surely the terms have changed....why should I now pay full price for a delivery that took 3 months from pickup? I called thinking that they would be a little agreeable....no not quite, actually got a BS line that they said to me that 8 weeks was the original estimate for the repair and that they are not moving on the delivery bill. They think that just because they fixed the car they are in the clear. Who here would pay full shipping charges if that delivery was close to 5 months past when you first called them?

I have one last hope..the owner. He was the one that shocked and surprised me with the respect he gave. He said before if I have any issues just call him, well I did and I respectfully said I would call him back as we was obviously in the middle of a lunch meeting.

I hope he comes through...it's not the money at this point, I am just looking for the same respect he showed earlier.

Wish me luck....making the call now.

Nice conversation....he was respectful but could not hear a dammed thing I said. (old/bad phone/poor hearing) I think I got my point across and he will meet with the folks who made the decision.

I expect a call back tomorrow, I am optimistic something will happen. The charges I am looking at are $2600, I would be ok with paying $1300. After all the shipment will be made and there is some value to that.

I just want this to be all done....