53 Rear Window Shelf/Rear Speaker Area?

WillBilly53

LOL Bill.

I just took these photos of my 56's rear package shelf and will try to explain what you see. But the 56 may be different than the 53.

There is a cardboard shelf which, on my 56, is painted black.

post-31834-143141744242_thumb.jpgAlso there is a metal bar in the shape of a "T" which is covered by black vinyl and serves to provide a durable edge for the cardboard and a neat trim to cover the slot you'd otherwise see between the seat and the rear cross body support. As mentioned, the 53 may differ from this set up.

post-31834-143141744245_thumb.jpg

It's called "painted cowlboard" and I buy mine from Restoration Specialties & Supply in Windber, Pennsylvania. They have it in about 10 or 15 different colors, but it comes in a large sheet and so is quite expensive to ship. So, give them your dimensions and let them cut it into smaller pieces, or buy several sheets of it (for a friend or for other cars) and it ships better that way.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

What? You mean it didn't come originally with 3 inch fake fur?

And poodles?? Heck tha's where I use to sleep on vacation trips to Florida with my parents and cousins.

Then in high school, in my 57 Chevy, (yea I was a slow learner) I learned what goes there. Your ex girlfriends brars. I had quite a collection. Right between the two drive in movie speakers.

man Willy, you sure did get that back window clean, can't even tell it's there.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Excellent information everyone, thank you! John, the '53 is almost identical with the exception that the bar covered in vinyl is more of an upside "J". I was unsure what this part in my "pile o' '53" so thank you for the explanation. and Thanks Pete for the lead to Restoration Specialties and Supplies.

One other question, does the cowlboard basically just sit there and is bound in place by the windshield and the bar behind the back set or is it glued down?

Lamar, that rear window is what I've been working on all winter - ha!

Oh man...you expect us to believe that?

I think Mr.Earl misspelled the key word on purpose, so Rita and Terry could not do a word search.....

"brars" could be......... briars or bras...........

I'll go with briars as in briar-patch. Now that is going to take some explaination..............

MrEarl, we're waiting...............

Mike in Colorado

I think Mr.Earl misspelled the key word on purpose, so Rita and Terry could not do a word search.....

"brars" could be......... briars or bras...........

I'll go with briars as in briar-patch. Now that is going to take some explaination..............

MrEarl, we're waiting...............

Mike in Colorado

let me use it in a sentence...... "The girl lost her brar in the briar patch, and Brer rabbit found it"

• 2 months later...