Sign in to follow this  
englishcarcare

1910 Overland 38

Hello all,

Im new to the forums here and am looking for some advise/help. I am in Sweden and have come across a 1910 Overland 38 in need of some engine work. The story behind this car is that it has been sitting in a museum in the states for many years and then imported over here last year. The car itself is in fantastic condition as it has sat most of its life however there is a problem with the engine! Starts and runs just fine but smokes like hell. My first inclination was to the piston rings but not knowing anything of the construction of these engines i am turning to the forums for some help. Does anyone know who made these engines? And what pistons/rings/valves are inside? Any places out there that can sell parts or make them? I really want to help this guy out but I need a little more information before i can begin. Can someone out there please give me any kind of information about these cars? Thanks a lot!!

Don

Whiter smoke means running too rich on gas mixture. Black smoke means burning oil. If white, fix carburetor. If black, replace rings on pistons. Not that big a deal, just have to pull each jug and rework....

Or if you are lucky, the rings may just be stuck as the car was sitting for a long time. Engine parts can be sourced fairly easily here in the US but it might be a little more difficult in Sweden. As the other poster said, access the willis-overland website and contact the club and ask them lots of questions.

Papa taught me:

white smoke- brake fluid from leaking vacuum booster ( not to worry on the Overland) or anti-freeze coolant from leaking gasket or crack

blue smoke - oil

black smoke - gasoline too rich a mixture

white smoke that doesn't make a cloud- water vapor from cold exhaust system or water coolant

If blue oil smoke first check the oil level, it may be too high. Some early engines have an adjustable crankcase oil level control. Or it is just over filled. Could also be that someone put oil in the cylinders when it was put away to preserve it and it will take a while to burn off. Does it smoke when warmed up?

Many early cars will continually put out some black smoke, not high enough compression to completely burn the carbon in the gas.

Many will also just plain burn oil.

Hard to tell just how sensitive you are to smoke, many guys coming from a modern smokeless car into an antique for the first time are appalled at the exhaust output!

Thanks for all the replies…the smoke is definitely blue. What we know is the car has sat for many many years…I have no idea if the engine was ever overhauled therefore not sure if it even has oil rings…The ammount of smoke is extreme and gets no better with warm up. I will check the simple things first before i get too involved. Thanks for pointing me towards the wokr website….i have registered there too. Ordering parts shipped to sweden shouldn't be a problem as long as there are suppliers there. I will keep adding my findings and questions here also. thanks again!

Don

A lot of museum cars were "Restored" to look good as a static display. If the plan for the car is to be driven and for touring, I would pull the engine down and go through the engine throughly. There is not much in that engine that cannot be made if it is neccesary. Dandy Dave!