1909-1910 survival rate, Hudson vs. Hupmobile

trimacar

I did receive a Hudson club roster of early Hudsons....shocked at how few there are, less than 10 Model 20 Hudsons listed, out of a production 1909-1910 of 4556 cars. Of course, mine's not listed since I just joined, and I'm sure there are numerous others not on club roster, but still, perhaps less than 20 survive?

Interesting contrast to Model 20 Hupmobiles, in the same time period there were 6958 Hupps built, which is admittedly 50% more cars, but there are 50 or so in the HCCA roster, and from the emails I've gotten from owners all over the world (due to forum postings), I'd be willing to bet there are at LEAST 200 Model 20 Hupps out there...one lady in California inherited 5 of them from her father, and I have email contacts from numerous people who own one, yet don't belong to the HCCA.

Interesting comparison, wonder why the Hudsons didn't survive. Too good a car and they were driven to death, while the Hupp sat in a garage not being used? The Hudson seems to be a more robust automobile, comparing the two mechanically. One negative on the Hudson is a two main bearing crankshaft compared to the Hupp's three main bearing. The Hudson does have three speeds forward in the transmission, which makes it more drivable than the two speed Hupp. Hudson has rear 3/4 elliptic springs, compared to the single rear cross spring on the Hupp.

Any thoughts on why one would survive in high numbers, while the other is quite rare?

Guest Nancy DeWitt

I don't know the answer, but I can share a photo of our 1909 Hudson Model 20 (#717). I believe it's the oldest-surviving, unrestored Hudson. Nearly all-original and runs like a charm. Too bad more of them aren't still around.

post-58418-14314174125_thumb.jpg

If these early cars had one "underbuilt part" that broke often, and the parts became obsolete even back in the day, the cars were "discarded." Parts would be like a ring and Pinion set, an axle, a Crankshaft, or any other part that was made of poor material and did not stand up to the riggor of the roads of the day. Do a study on what failed most often on the make, and you may come up with an answer. Also, look at the Metz. Many survive because many would not run long enough to wear out, and being small, they were pushed to the "Back of the Barn." Dandy Dave!