1938 Seagrave V12 engine HELP!!

Hello everyone!

I have a 1938 Seagrave fire engine with the small flat head V12 engine (Pierce Arrow engine). I wanted to know where I would be able to find the cam bearings (or bushings as they are refered to in the book), hydraulic lifters, pistons etc...?

The truck is running at this time, but I did a "leak down test" and it doesn't look good. The test revealed that it does need a valve job, and most likely a ring job. So I wanted to start looking for the parts and getting some prices on what its gonna cost. Is there a cam bearing installation tool that will fit the length of the block for these V12's? Appreciate any help that will get me somewhere, especially in locating a "good place" to get the parts. Thanks!!! Jim

I thought I had a note from another forum to the extent that while the Seagrave was based on the PA block, some of the internals were different, BUT if i did have such a note, I can't find it...(please feel free to correct me if that is wrong).....

On a more positive note, I do have a note that on 12-15-11 someone here said Ray at Old Car Parts NW 206-300-1083 had Seagrave small V12 bearings...

Thanks Bud, I will call him and see what he has. But I "have to canvas" the entire U.S. in search of parts. Just have to find the places that have these parts and see what they are asking for them. Yes..Seagrave did use the Pierce Arrow engine. I have been told that they are the same engines. Seagrave bought Piecre Arrow foundry and had the "Seagrave" logo molded into the heads and blocks starting in the late 1930's and my truck is a 1938. So I am "hoping" that the parts will fit. But as a lot of people on here say any machinist can work wonders nowadays. Hopefully the guy I have found here will work. He has worked on V12 engines in the past and now builds race engines for cars and motorcycles. BUT...if you do run across ANY parts or where to get them, keep the info flowing!! It is appreciated very much!!

• 1 year later...
Hello everyone!

I have a 1938 Seagrave fire engine with the small flat head V12 engine (Pierce Arrow engine). I wanted to know where I would be able to find the cam bearings (or bushings as they are refered to in the book), hydraulic lifters, pistons etc...?

The truck is running at this time, but I did a "leak down test" and it doesn't look good. The test revealed that it does need a valve job, and most likely a ring job. So I wanted to start looking for the parts and getting some prices on what its gonna cost. Is there a cam bearing installation tool that will fit the length of the block for these V12's? Appreciate any help that will get me somewhere, especially in locating a "good place" to get the parts. Thanks!!! Jim

I have a 1938 Seagrave I am working on now. Do you know where I can get a hood latch? I do not have engine parts but other parts if interested.

Thanks

Ray