Desoto Fluid Drive

Guest glenn 1157

Guest glenn 1157

I have a 1950 DeSoto Deluxe 2 door coupe with a fluid drive trans, it doesn't shift into high overdrive/4th gear, any suggestions?

A couple years ago a neighbor bought a dodge with fluid drive and said it wouldn't go down in low gear position. I told him there was no position where low normally is. It is H pattern except for this with reverse normal position, low up where second would be and down is second and when you get up to speed it shifts automatically into high. I think that is right. Been a while since I drove my 48. The Fluid Drive torque converter

Try a search in the Chrysler and Dodge boards as well as DeSoto. This subject has been beaten to death. There are long threads going back to 2008 on the care and repair of this trans.

There are some original factory troubleshooting and repair guides in the tech section of the Chrysler Imperial club board. Try a search for 1950 Imperial on Google.

There are two solenoids on the trans housing that controll shifting. You might try checking the solenoids for continuity. If they check out ok then try checking the wires to these solenoids for voltage. Also the fluid level is important as well. I have a 52 saratoga and have had experiences with these issues. Also there are switches on the carburetor that allow for shifting.