1941 Chrysler D19 Fluid Drive Top Speed

Guest D19

Good evening. New member here. Just purchased my '41 Fluid drive and have what I think should be a simple question. What is the top sustained speed this car should be capable of. The Dodge has only 29K miles on her and has been garaged since new. All original exept electrical tune-up, plugs, points, wires, cap, rotor and regulator. I've put about 150 miles on the car and it drives great. The fastest I've had it is 55mph, but it just feels that I am pushing the engine to get there. I checked the fluid drive coupling through the inspection plate on the floor and it was level up with the plug. The viscosity seemed a little thick app. 40w or so. Anyways probably the first question of many, but let me have it. :D

D19, welcome to our little world. If this is the first old car you have driven, it WILL sound as if the engine is over revving. Modern stuff, with low rpm engines, hi speed gears are much quieter. Most anything from 1941 should have been driveable at 65 mph or so. It would have run faster. Engine will be at around 3500 rpm or so. Good luck and don't be a stranger.

Ben

Thank you. I'm familiar with old cars, have owned couple of Model A's and 49 Willy's. With the 5:27 rear end you knew your limitations on the Willy's! At 55 mph you can give the dodge more throttle and she will keep on going. I just read where people sustain highway speeds of 65 and 70 and just wonder sometimes if there's are revving that hard.

Top speed when new would have been between 85 and 90 MPH. I wouldn't try it today out of respect for the car's age. 45 - 50 would have been a typical hiway cruising speed.

The fluid drive works better the thinner the oil. Recommended is Fluid Drive fluid, no longer available, or 10W motor oil, or TDH tractor fluid, ISO 22 or 32 grade.