Sign in to follow this  
Ron Lawson

1916/17 Dodge Brothers Information

That sounds fun. I'm envious. Be sure to ask about windsheild station heights (different between touring and roadster), starter/generator changes, timing chain differences (72 verses 74 links I believe), radiator height is something I have always wondered about as the early cars are described as 'low radiator' or 'low hood' - what does that menan exactly? Always wondered if the distance from the firewall to the back of the seat differed from roadster to touring or through early production. The carbs are pretty easy to identify on early cars since the bowl and neck shape differ.

I would like to know if there are other distinguishing things other than these.

That sounds fun. I'm envious. Be sure to ask about windsheild station heights (different between touring and roadster), starter/generator changes, timing chain differences (72 verses 74 links I believe), radiator height is something I have always wondered about as the early cars are described as 'low radiator' or 'low hood' - what does that menan exactly? Always wondered if the distance from the firewall to the back of the seat differed from roadster to touring or through early production. The carbs are pretty easy to identify on early cars since the bowl and neck shape differ.

I would like to know if there are other distinguishing things other than these.

I dont know if you have it but pending machinists Bill Ok I can send you a copy of all 800 plus pages of the 1927 Master parts book on CD. He was kind enough to lend me his original copy quite a while back ( right before I found my own of course ) and I have it all on CD that I can burn.

I already sent Ray a copy, guess I did not ask Bill but I did not not nor plan to sell them, just trying to get info out there so more cars are saved.

Let me know if you are interested and if Bill does not respond here than just PM him, I am sure he would not care but just out of courtesy.

It lists the changes, unfortunately I have a problem with reading comprehension and so I am having a hard time fully understanding how to use the book so Ray ( early D.B expert :) ) is helping me thru e-mails and we are starting to figure the thing out together.

Maybe other people would be interested in getting in on this, I could start a post here if there is any interest, just let me know!

Off the top of my head I can help with this...........radiator height is something I have always wondered about as the early cars are described as 'low radiator' or 'low hood' - what does that mean exactly?..........There is a definite difference in height between the early cars ( dont quote me but I believe pre 23 or so ) and later cars.

The early rad were very short if measure top to bottom, later cars added I think 4 inches or so in height so of course if the rad is taller than they had to adjust the cowl as well higher or else the hood would be sitting at a slant.

Google a 1917 Dodge and then do a 25, you will see what I mean, you know what I may just do is post here the D.B articles done some time back concerning changes, it was a series of articles written about all 4 cyl car changes, very well written and very thorough but again unfortunately I have had a real tough time understanding the articles.

If someone here or from the club does not complain about me posting some of those articles so we can discuss and learn than I will do so. Lets give it a day or two to see if anyone complains first, I dont want to be accused of doing something wrong if I do post them.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Let me know if you are interested and if Bill does not respond here than just PM him, I am sure he would not care but just out of courtesy.

The more people with info the better! Pass it on! :)

If someone here or from the club does not complain about me posting some of those articles so we can discuss and learn than I will do so. Lets give it a day or two to see if anyone complains first, I dont want to be accused of doing something wrong if I do post them.

You may want to read the first page of the DBC newsletter before you do that. The newsletter is copyrighted and requires written permission to duplicate

I like a copy and be glad to help decipher the infromation for others. I won't resell.

As for the low radiator, I understand what you are saying but the early DBs (1916/17) had a very low radiator compared to 1918/19 but I have never seen anyone precisely state what the measurement difference is. Physically you can look at pictures and tell there is a difference but the 'style' of the car really didn't change much.

The thread is thoroughly highjacked but it is for a good cause....

Jason , You can not copy anything from the DBC News as it is coprighted. Page 2 of the DBC News explains it.

Joe Cozza, Past President DBC

I like a copy and be glad to help decipher the infromation for others. I won't resell.

As for the low radiator, I understand what you are saying but the early DBs (1916/17) had a very low radiator compared to 1918/19 but I have never seen anyone precisely state what the measurement difference is. Physically you can look at pictures and tell there is a difference but the 'style' of the car really didn't change much.

The thread is thoroughly highjacked but it is for a good cause....

Send me your address Caddy to jhason2@yahoo.com and I will try and mail this weekend no problem.

Jason , You can not copy anything from the DBC News as it is coprighted. Page 2 of the DBC News explains it.

Joe Cozza, Past President DBC

Hi Joe, I am curious, how do you underline words like that, I cant seem to figure it out, makes the words seem much more meaningful and authoritative, Id like to try that in some of my posts.

Thanks for the heads up BTW, I will do my best to remember that, its prob. for the best that I just go to the original source anyway.

Just in case your question got missed, Jason; The B (bold) and I (italics) and U (underlined) icons are to be found in the bar over where you write your quick reply. If you click on all three icons you will notice them become highlited. This then allows you to underline in bold italics. To cancel just click in the area of the icons. For underlined non-italics just omit the "I".

It takes a bit of practise but I think it's a good feature.

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Just in case your question got missed, Jason; The B (bold) and I (italics) and U (underlined) icons are to be found in the bar over where you write your quick reply. If you click on all three icons you will notice them become highlited. This then allows you to underline in bold italics. To cancel just click in the area of the icons. It takes a bit of practise but I think it's a good feature.

Ray.

Well I had no idea Ray, that is good to know, maybe now people will start listening to me :P

Just noticed the response time between post 27 and 30 then onto 32, someone must have un-leashed the bat signal for that quick of a response time :D

I bet you couldnt even get the fire house to respond that quick :P

Good job guys!

Thank you everone so much for all of you help.Things are under way tp procure a speedo and a battery guage WE still need to know what the tail lamp looks like Did these early DBs have a brake light too? thank you Ron

Edited by Ron Lawson
spelling error (see edit history)

I know the parts book illustrations are pretty poor quality ,but I can copy the lightning page at a higher resolution if that would be helpful. There is no mention of a brake light in the book

I am quite certain that Roy Brister had forgotten more than I will ever know about 4 cyl D.B cars but I can help with a photo I believe but everyone needs to understand that everything takes time, relax, give it a few days if need be.

I do not mind and enjoy looking for the answers myself but the time involved is just tremendous unless of course you would prefer that answered are just spewed out without regards to accuracy, I know no-one wants that so just give it time.

post-34730-143141749034_thumb.jpg

Thank you everone so much for all of you help.Things are under way tp procure a speedo and a battery guage WE still need to know what the tail lamp looks like Did these early DBs have a brake light too? thank you Ron

Ron.

There is no brake light but I modified the inside of the taillight with a double filament bulb wired to a brake light switch.

bob

post-34730-14314174904_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobs1916 (see edit history)

Hit nail on head. A lot of time goes into research.

If you are interested the D.B club sells a CD set ( 4 or 5 cds ) of all their old back issues, the info found within these is tremendous. Its a great place to start if you are interested in living up to the Roy Brister JR title.

Cheap by the way, maybe 40 bucks

Thank you Jason and Bob you have been a big help. This thanks comes from Jack to you all He is now restoring with confidence now There is nothing worse than spending days restoring a bit only to find its not off your model and this is the problem he has had in the past Cheers Ron

If you are interested the D.B club sells a CD set ( 4 or 5 cds ) of all their old back issues, the info found within these is tremendous. Its a great place to start if you are interested in living up to the Roy Brister JR title.

Cheap by the way, maybe 40 bucks

Jason. Thanks for the time and effort that you put into this. I don't have a vast amount of years left to learn the teens and 20s like Roy did. I got to know Roy through Mike at DCV. We were hauling cars and parts for him. Also sold him a 2004 Dodge dually p/u. Roy was a really neat guy and a lot of fun to be with. Roy Brister is extreamly missed along with Mike Northcutt from DCV, Tom Bryant from Plydo and Al Smith from Ram. A lot of knowledge and talent gone in the last 10 years. :(