Packard luggage rack Spears,any one make the 5 spears out of stainless.

Guest 37gman

Don Sommer, American Arrow corp in Troy, MI. The problem is that chroming the originals is problematic. They suffer from being made from rather poor material in the 30s and you might spend as much chroming them as new ones will cost. My advice is if you are going to get repops, go with the Don Sommer ones. Not the others! feel free to email sme and I can explaind. packard12s@hotmail.com

37gman,

Now I see what you are looking for. Thanks for posting the picture.

My '31 are wood grained. Could you find a metal fabricator to make them for you then have them chromed?

Hi Tom , Don Summers makes them,I didn't expect the high cost,my old ones are stainless,they might be able to fix them but 2 of them have bad dents,one with a rip.Thanks for your help.

Tom do you know what the six numbers on the fire wall of a 1936 Packard 1400 are used for,they don't match my registration 6 numbers.

Thanks Don

The numbers embossed into your firewall are "thief-proof" or body dash numbers. Packard starting applying these in 1929 and continued right thru 1956. They are discussed in the early owner's manuals with the explanation that that are numbers that can be used to identify the car when other numbers have been lost or defaced. I've spent years collecting any analyzing these numbers, you can find several articles about them in back issues of "The Packard Cormorant". And sure, I'd love to have the number from your car, along with the vehicle number, motor number, and any special features like right-hand-drive, Canadian-built, etc.

If you want to know more about them, I can provide you with the issue numbers as reprints are still available. You might also consider browsing two other forums, www.packardclub.org (The Packard Club) and www.packardinfo.com (an independent Packard forum). Both are loaded with information, including discussions on the thief-proof numbers.

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)