Wheel size question.

414TATA

Most of what I have read regarding wheel size for a 1941 Super states the wheel is 16". My car has 15" including the spare. The car was built in Oct of 1940 for the 1941 model years. Could this be the reason for the smaller wheel size? I have no plan to change them. I believe they are original as is the rest of the car. The speedometer is correct to the mile. Just some thoughts from this great source of knowledge:)

Thanks

Wayne B.

1941 Super 51

post-78086-143141731646_thumb.jpg

Guest Grant Magrath

Have you noticed anything else different than standard about your car? Could be that someone thought it would look cool on a set of 15's from a Century. Like the 39, I would imagine there's a book outlining changes and updates through the model run. Might be good to track one down. They're very good.

Cheers

Grant

Have you noticed anything else different than standard about your car? Could be that someone thought it would look cool on a set of 15's from a Century. Like the 39, I would imagine there's a book outlining changes and updates through the model run. Might be good to track one down. They're very good.

Cheers

Grant

Yes. One other thing. My engine originally was dark grey. (evident by peeling paint). which was a 1940 color Buick used until November 1940 for the 1941's. when the engine color changed to red. Some time in the last 73 years the engine has been painted turquoise. I think to update the engine color used in the 1950's. Maybe an owner wanted the smaller wheel and calibrated the speedometer for the smaller wheel size.

Thanks Grant I always enjoy your responses here.:)

post-78086-143141731833_thumb.jpg

A 15" Century wheel mounted with stock 7.00x15 tires is the same diameter as a 16" Super wheel with stock 6.50x16 tires, so if you have 7.00x15's, the speedo should be accurate. Anyone know if the Super bolt pattern matches Century's, or the 15" wheels on the 40-A Special series? I'm guessing a previous owner swapped the wheels to give the car an updated look, but I suppose it's possible the car rolled out of the factory on 15's.

When I got my 41 Super Convertible it had 4 - 15" wheels and the spare that was a 16" wheel. According to everything I read it said the 16" wheels where standard. The lug pattern was the same. The number of clips for the hub cap was different from 15" to 16". Last year I swapped for 5 new 16" wheels and tires (thanks to Doug Seybold).

When I got my 41 Super Convertible it had 4 - 15" wheels and the spare that was a 16" wheel. According to everything I read it said the 16" wheels where standard. The lug pattern was the same. The number of clips for the hub cap was different from 15" to 16". Last year I swapped for 5 new 16" wheels and tires (thanks to Doug Seybold).

Larry

Interesting. I was wondering if you know the production date for your car. My car was built in Oct. of 1940 for the 1941 model year. I am wondering (not that it matters) if the factory was using 15" on Supers in the first months of production prior to going to 16" for the Supers?

Thanks for your response.

"Nice Buick you have there sir"

Wayne

Wayne,

FYI - Bill Anderson (BCA tech advisor for 1941) restored a very early 51C in his restoration shop. This car had the correct 16" wheels. I think that at some point in time that the wheels we changed on your car. You can view pictures of the 51C restoration on Bill's web site:

Projects- Anderson Automotive Enterprises

When on the 51C page of Bill's web site, you will find more images at the bottom of the page (red colored text).

You may want to check your rear axle gear ratio, as the standard 4.1:1 rear with 15" wheels will be working the engine a bit much at highway speed. A friend changed his 56C rear axle to ratio of 3.6:1 and he is very happy with the results.

Grandpa

15 inch wheels, per say, will not change the engine speed at a given hwy speed. Just use the 15 in tire size that gives the same height, circumference as the original.

I also changed the gears in my '50, to 3.4:1. VERY happy. Real low speed , under 10 mph in 3rd is a problem, as engine is now turning 650 rpm less. So I just use 2nd a little more often.

Ben

• 2 years later...

Just for the record (and to ask one question) I will weigh in on this.

I have a 1941 Roadmaster (model 71). All four mounted wheels have 15 x 7.00 4-Ply tires on them. That would make them 15x5.0" rims as listed in section 10-7 of the Shop Manual. Each rim has 3 clips to hold the hubcap. These rims appear to be original to the car since they are black (original color per data plate; car is now two-tone green) with pinstriping.

The single spare has a 8/8.20-15 Suburbanite tire mounted on it. So this would also be a 15" rim. The rim has slots for 5 clips for mounting the hubcap and it is colored red and has no pinstriping. I suspect this is not a 1941 rim.

And my question: Were 1941 rims, regardless of size, supplied with 3 hubcap clips?

(My spare rim was missing the clips. I purchased 5 clips made for a VW and they fit fine with a little bending - only $8.00)

Spare

3 Clip Wheel

Edited by Roadmaster71 (see edit history)