Gemmer steering box bearing cone - Timken 12 cone

Kevin bc

Can anyone help with obtaining an "Endangered Species" a inner cone for a 1930 Dodge DC8 steering box. I have obtained the last one in Australia I believe, but of course require 2 for the job. Had no trouble getting the bearings and the outer cones, but could only get one of the inner. Cone is a Timken 12 - Any contacts in the states that might be able to supply, would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin BC

Jason

Don't have any idea really, probally the same as the 1930 DD 6 dodge, but DA ????. I think without verifying, that my mates Budd body DA's steering box looks very different to mine. This box has a inner cone, bearing, & outer cone both ends of the worm on the steering column. The inner cone is a Timken 12, the outer cone is a Timken 10, and the bearing is a Timken 11. The DC parts list list it as a "WORM THRUST BEARING ASSEMBLY" 2 of required & has a part No of310163 & a code word of TYEKU.Don't know if this helps at all. I could

I was just talking with my mate , John Courtney,and he said he had had quite a bit of contact with you .

regards

Kevin BC

Ok, now that I have a part number I can tell you if they are the same, will look later after work. Tell John I said hello.

Have you asked David H. for any info concerning it, I would think that he would be able to tell you if the part is still avail here and maybe a good part #.

I know very little about the DC-8 and can only look up the numbers and compare them from model to model and other than someone knowing what already works or sending an example here for someone to bring to a bearing house to compare with I cannot think of any other options.

Now that I think about it the bearing may no longer be avail here though, years ago I sent David a steering box because he wanted bearings within it that were un-obtanable, maybe these bearings are the same.

Like I said, will look into it after work

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Ok, now that I have a part number I can tell you if they are the same, will look later after work. Tell John I said hello.

Have you asked David H. for any info concerning it, I would think that he would be able to tell you if the part is still avail here and maybe a good part #.

I know very little about the DC-8 and can only look up the numbers and compare them from model to model and other than someone knowing what already works or sending an example here for someone to bring to a bearing house to compare with I cannot think of any other options.

Now that I think about it the bearing may no longer be avail here though, years ago I sent David a steering box because he wanted bearings within it that were un-obtanable, maybe these bearings are the same.

Like I said, will look into it after work

Thanks Jason, I think I have mentioned it to a friend of David H, and together they didn't think they were available any more, thats why I was trying the Forum, as I thought someone might just have one lying around, or know where there might be one. I have a antique bearing place here in Aus who is looking at getting a batch made, so when that occurs there should be some on the market, but I was hoping there might be one left in the world so I could get my steering box together

Kevin

Hello Kevin, I looked in DA-6, DD-6 and DH no part # match, DG-8 has a match, you said 310163 but did you mean 310164, that is the number I found within my DC-8 parts book and DG-8 parts book.

I have a feeling that 63 is the number you are looking at though since in my books they run 162 and then 164 so I will ask you what the affective serial numbers are of your book. Maybe we can trade copies for copies since we have two slightly different books.

Anyway just because the part numbers on the other cars are not a match does not mean for sure they are different bearings, I know what bearing you need and it is also un-obtainable for DA-6 but I do have some spares and would be happy to send you one no charge except the shipping cost.

We would need to verify first they are the same bearing by some measurements. You can either continue this here or send me an e-mail at jhason2@yahoo.com

Again though keep in mind DG-8 does show the same part number either way.

Hello Kevin, I looked in DA-6, DD-6 and DH no part # match, DG-8 has a match, you said 310163 but did you mean 310164, that is the number I found within my DC-8 parts book and DG-8 parts book.

I have a feeling that 63 is the number you are looking at though since in my books they run 162 and then 164 so I will ask you what the affective serial numbers are of your book. Maybe we can trade copies for copies since we have two slightly different books.

Anyway just because the part numbers on the other cars are not a match does not mean for sure they are different bearings, I know what bearing you need and it is also un-obtainable for DA-6 but I do have some spares and would be happy to send you one no charge except the shipping cost.

We would need to verify first they are the same bearing by some measurements. You can either continue this here or send me an e-mail at jhason2@yahoo.com

Again though keep in mind DG-8 does show the same part number either way.

Jason

Have sent you a email with a sketch attached

Kevin BC

• 5 months later...
Can anyone help with obtaining an "Endangered Species" a inner cone for a 1930 Dodge DC8 steering box. I have obtained the last one in Australia I believe, but of course require 2 for the job. Had no trouble getting the bearings and the outer cones, but could only get one of the inner. Cone is a Timken 12 - Any contacts in the states that might be able to supply, would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin BC

I have been Working on Jims 1930DC8 and a lot of the parts are definitly not the same as USA models and the smaller series cars. What we did with the steering box was to machine the shafty and housing to take a more commonly available size in Australia .The steering is a little firm but the kng pins need doing. I am having a hell of a time finding the correct pins anywhere...Otherwise it works great with the correct amount of free play. Another that should be considered is fitting a lip seal on the pitman shaft so that oil doesn't leak out. These should have Shell 680 in them,not grease or 90 gear oil. post-94846-143142120302_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...