Thread sealant for drain plugs?

Dwight Romberger

Hi All,

I just removed the transmission and differential drain plugs on my '36 International pickup to change the fluid (every 50 years whether it needs it or not).

Can I put some thread sealant on the plugs? If so, what can I us?

Also, are there gasket washers to be inserted when you replace the spark plugs? I noticed there is not a good seal around a couple of the plugs.

Thanks,

Dwight

Locktite 515 and 518 are the best thing since chocolate milk. 515 requires a cure period before use and 518 is "instant seal". You can use either on threads or put a light smear on copper or fiber washers. Can't make a comment about the spark plug question.

Whatever sealant you use make sure it says,"GASOLINE and OIL RESISTANT" on the label. Also it shouldn't be too sticky where it comes off the brush in long strings. I bought some product from Bratton's to use on the fuel shutoff on my A pickup. it was gas resistant but messy as the strings were getting all over everything and it was too thin.It wouldn't matter on a drain plug as you wrench tighten them, but on a Model A fuel valve the tube goes to the right and 90s into the back of the firewall mounted filter so you can't just tighten the valve into the tank.You put it in finger tight and back it off to final position. In my case the valve threads leaked so I had to take it all apart and found some sealant that I could build up. I did find something but I forgot what it was.

Edited by Dave Mellor NJ (see edit history)

Let's back up. Are these drain plugs tapered pipe thread or straight thread? Tapered pipe thread seals by virtue of the taper wedging and it is appropriate to use sealer (I personally prefer teflon tape). Straight threads were never intended to form the seal and no sealer should be used. There should be a seal washer or similar gasket under the head of the bolt, not on the threads.