Need some help on 1964 Radios

Guest pesessions

Guest pesessions

I just bought a 64 Riv and it has an aftermarket radio in it. I'd like to put an original am/fm radio back in but I'm confused about which radio it is. Is it a Wonderbar or are those just for AM? Is it a Sonomatic? Help!

Thanks

Pat

Wonder bar radios only came in AM. They had a bar on the top of the face that would search the next station. Mine also has a button on the floor beside the dimmer switch that would do the same thing. I am keeping mine because that is wat it came with but I did buy some speakers that "look" completely stock but sound much better than stock. be careful that you only use 8 ohm speakers with these radios or you will burn out the radio. I bought my speakers here: Classic Car Speakers

The next problem I had was that there are no AM stations within 500 miles of where I live so I bought this: RediRad Classic Car AM and FM radio adapter- MP3/Satellite Radio to AM or FM band This allows me to tap in my iPhone and play any music I want on my classic am radio without losing the originality. Heck, I can even play the online FM stations on my AM radio if I like.

I know there are companies out there that make radios that look stock but this is one way to stay 100% stock and still enjoy whatever music you want :-)

HTH's

In '64 the rear seat speaker was an option. If you're going to install an OE radio and want to incorporate the rear speaker, make sure that you get a fader knob as well. It goes behind the tuning knob and has a couple of wires running from it. You unhook the front speaker wire and plug this assembly in to the existing harness. I'm thinking that your flat wire already has the rear speaker wire in it. It should be a plug and play.

Ed

Delco put a sticker on the side of every radio.

Here are the Delco radio numbers you need for the 1st gen Rivs:

980462 63 BUICK AM

980463 63 BUICK WB

980626 63 BUICK AM/FM

980655 63 BUICK AM (Late Production)

980655A 64 BUICK AM

980657 64 BUICK WB

980659 64 BUICK AM/FM

980869 64-65 BUICK REVERB

7285424 65 BUICK RIVIERA AM

7285444 65 BUICK RIVIERA WB

7288794 65 BUICK RIVIERA AM/FM

The AM/FM radios were pretty rare in '63 because they cost a lot and there were not too many FM stations out there to listen to. This got better in '64 and '65, but they are still kind of hard to find. When you do, they will need to be reworked internally.

Edited by Jim_Cannon (see edit history)

• 5 months later...
Guest stevenu170

Hey Jim, I also have an am/fm radio with BUICK on the push buttons. Didn't think it could be original until I saw this thread. One day I'll have to check for the number. It does not work on fm. I also have the guide pod on the dash. Not to sure if it works or not.

There's a trouble shooting guide for the Guide-Matic in the shop manual. Mine was working when I quit driving the car a few years ago; I'm hoping that it, as well as the twilight sentinel, are still in good shape when I get that car back on the road.

I actually turned the Guide-Matic off because in the city, every street lamp would activate it.

Ed

• 1 month later...
Guest jd.qualley@gfs.com

I just bought a 1964 Impala Convertible that has been in the family since 1978. The rear speaker does not work. I traced the wire back to the dash area, and found that it terminates in a plug (single wire, because it's chassis ground). I also noticed that someone snipped the wires leading to the dash mounted speaker, and ran them to a speaker that looks like it was added to the right front kicker panel). Based on your post here. I am assuming that the wire that comes from the fader knob, AND the plug from the rear speaker wire are supposed to plug into a harness or switch. Also, it looks like I need to reconnect the wires on the dash speaker, and disconnect the kicker panel speaker. I can't confirm how the vehicle was originally equipped but I'm sure it at least had a front dash speaker, and the single rear speaker in the back seat. Any ideas on what the fader plug (flat plastic thing with 3 soldered connections), and the rear speaker plug is supposed to plug into?

On most all AM/FM radios of the era the on-off/volume switch is on the left post, behind it is a treble/bass knob, the tuning knob is on the right, a knob similar to the treble/bass knob was behind the tuner knob but it would just spin; sound familiar? If the car came with a rear seat speaker that was controlled by a fader, the spinning knob behind the tuner was replaced with a fader knob. It had three prongs on it which went into three holes in the body of the radio, a resistor was built into that knob. When that knob was turned, sound came through two of the prongs, by turning the knob one direction you could hear only the front speaker, by turning it the other direction you could hear only the rear speaker, by "balancing" it, you could hear both speakers. From the same knob with the prong came three wires. One went to the front speaker, one went to the rear speaker and one went to ???? (ground.) It takes a radio equipped for the fader knob, and the fader knob with attached wires to make the rear speaker functional using all of the OEM pieces. If you need a visual, I have a radio w/ fader knob in a box on a shelf. I can post pictures if you'd like.

Ed

• 2 months later...

Bringing this to the top. Can anyone recommend a good company to restore my AM/FM radio from my 65?

Just verified the numbers Jim posted, and my radio is indeed an original 1965 AM/FM radio.

Thanks for that info Jim. One more reason I love this place. Great info via the search function.

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Bringing this to the top. Can anyone recommend a good company to restore my AM/FM radio from my 65?

Just verified the numbers Jim posted, and my radio is indeed an original 1965 AM/FM radio.

Thanks for that info Jim. One more reason I love this place. Great info via the search function.

I had my '63 Radio converted to electronic this year, just before Lexington. The guy who did it is about 45 mins from my house and did a fantastic job! He is a retired radio guy and just loves working on radios. Got mine done in about 2-3 weeks (the manufacturer of the circuit board sent him a bad board, so it took a few days longer than normal). For train fans, he has an awesome model railroad in his basement that goes around the entire work shop, through the walls and nearly along every wall, of course with multi-tracks and working crossing signals.

If you do decide to go with a conversion, rather than restoration, make sure to wire the speakers exactly how the booklet tells you. When I had my interior out to replace the carpet a couple years ago, I put in 2 pair of speaker wires going to the rear (63 has only 1 speaker), in anticipation of converting the radio at a future date. The speaker cannot be grounded like the original, with these new electronics. Don also built a dual speaker assembly that fits perfectly in the same place where the speaker mounts so that I can get both L/R (even though its in the middle of the seat). I opted for the MP3 input jack and the sub-woofer line-out features.

donstrain

Stereo Conversions Power Inverters/Voltage Boosters

48617 Declaration Dr.

Macomb MI 48044-1925

(248) 247 6280

donstrain@comcast.net

I had my '63 Radio converted to electronic this year, just before Lexington. The guy who did it is about 45 mins from my house and did a fantastic job! He is a retired radio guy and just loves working on radios. Got mine done in about 2-3 weeks (the manufacturer of the circuit board sent him a bad board, so it took a few days longer than normal). For train fans, he has an awesome model railroad in his basement that goes around the entire work shop, through the walls and nearly along every wall, of course with multi-tracks and working crossing signals.

If you do decide to go with a conversion, rather than restoration, make sure to wire the speakers exactly how the booklet tells you. When I had my interior out to replace the carpet a couple years ago, I put in 2 pair of speaker wires going to the rear (63 has only 1 speaker), in anticipation of converting the radio at a future date. The speaker cannot be grounded like the original, with these new electronics. Don also built a dual speaker assembly that fits perfectly in the same place where the speaker mounts so that I can get both L/R (even though its in the middle of the seat). I opted for the MP3 input jack and the sub-woofer line-out features.

donstrain

Stereo Conversions Power Inverters/Voltage Boosters

48617 Declaration Dr.

Macomb MI 48044-1925

(248) 247 6280xEPMsFKs7YmM8bsAMlyf2OwTPszAMZMeayGCpJVAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

donstrain@comcast.net

Just as a side note - for my dad's 64, I used one of these for the backseat speaker. Its a 6x9 single speaker, but it has two voicecoils, so you hook up both sides of the stereo signal. In the front, I used 2 4" speakers, mounted to the old speaker frame as a bracket. then I was able to hook up all 4 speakers to the system.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_068R69N/Retrosound-R-69N.html?tp=91&awkw=25289229745&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=6488547145&awdv=c

Todd,

Did you install these speakers with the OE radio in your dad's '64? If so, you may want to know that lower impedance speakers draw more current, which may overheat or overpower the receiver and burn it out. Just an FYI. You can get the same kind of setup from Turnswitch with 10 ohm speakers.

Ed

Todd,

Did you install these speakers with the OE radio in your dad's '64? If so, you may want to know that lower impedance speakers draw more current, which may overheat or overpower the receiver and burn it out. Just an FYI. You can get the same kind of setup from Turnswitch with 10 ohm speakers.

Ed

No. When I bought the car, it had a crappy Kraco 1980s cassette deck in it. I put in one of these - complete with aux input for an mp3 player. Not original - but looks "classic" and works great.

http://www.classiccarstereos.com/product/1963-1965-Buick-Riviera-Radio/CAM-RIV-35-230.html

• 5 years later...

Hi Everyone,

I have a 64 AM-FM radio that needs to be serviced.  Found this thread so thought I would ask a question.  My radio is a Delco 980659 which is correct I believe for 64.  I am missing the AM-FM slide bar.  Can any one help, tell me what other years had the same slide bar?  Did 65, 66, 67, 68 have the same bar.  Like to find a that bar.

Art

I bought a non working factory buick am fm, had it converted with both high power and bluetooth electronics by Mark at  s&m electrotech  then I installed perfect fit three way speakers front and rear (eat your heats out 63 owners LOL) sounds really great, can play all of the tunes from my phone looks perfectly stock, and the push buttons work! The factory am fm, just does not receive well in stock form, (fm drifts) and at about 7 watts has not much volume.  Modern electronics are so far superior, yet I would NEVER want to change the stock factory look so the refurb is a great option (PLUS one can buy a non working am fm radio pretty cheaply)

33 minutes ago, awk409ak said:

How is the Wonderbar better than a original 64 AM-FM Delco 980659 that has been converted with new guts.😊

If it's been converted, it ain't original.  If you're comparing stock radios, them (IMHO) the Wonderbar is better.  If you're converting it, who cares what you start with?