1955 Buick century wagon serial number frame location

balonybob718

The paint shop lost the serial number ID vin tag off the door post tag on my buddies 55 buick century wagon and he needs to know where the number can be found on the frame. He was told to cut the tin over the frame in the back behind the wheels and it was stamped there but after cutting the metal he found nothing and has 2 nice holes that have to be fixed. So before he cuts anything else up I told him I would post a thread. He was told all kinds of differant areas but no luck. Does anyone know for sure and exactly where it is? He needs to find it so he can have it confirmed by the NYSDMV and a new documented vin tag made.

It "should" be on the top of the frame behind the left rear kick up. Be advised that the stampings I've seen are shallow and are very hard to see under the dirt and rust and in fact just may be rusted away especially on a salt state car. BTW, your buddies painters are idiots...................Bob

It "should" be on the top of the frame behind the left rear kick up. Be advised that the stampings I've seen are shallow and are very hard to see under the dirt and rust and in fact just may be rusted away especially on a salt state car. BTW, your buddies painters are idiots...................Bob

Top of the frame behind the rear wheel kick-up, yes we looked there. The frame is very claen and we saw nothing there but may have not gone far enough. We'll look. Yes he plans on selling the car with the bad paint and yes there are idiots. Thanks I'll let you know.

No. Engine # has no relation to VIN in 1955 Buick.

thanks bhigdog, on pontiac straight eights, sixes, pontiac did stamp the engine production number on one pad, and the VIN on the other pad. on the 1955 strato-streak 287 V8 that i'm putting into my 1953 chieftain custom catalina, it has the VIN stamped on the front block machined surface from the 1955 pontiac safari stationwagon the engine & trans came out of. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Guest martylum

Hi-I have a 53 Buick stripped down and the car serial # is stamped on the top of the LHF frame rail 8-10" back from the front edge. Should be possible to look there on your car without any cutting.

Martin lum

53 Buick Model 76

• 4 years later...

Is this an out of state car being registered in NYS for the first time?  I don't recall ever having the VIN checked on any of the vehicles I bought in NYS and registered here. Just curious what has changed in the last few years. Also not sure of the cutoff for when they switched from engine numbers to VIN numbers but I know that I had a 1949 Dodge that was registered by the engine number. NYS is a non title state up until 1973 I believe so you don't have to deal with that.