Need spider gears and cross shft for 55 Buick Special.

Guest sintid58

Guest sintid58

Took my rear end apart on the 55 Special to pack the rear wheel bearing and I found the cross shaft and spider gears are worn pretty bad. Also going to have to replace both bearing and races because the one in the car show a lot of wear and are starting to flake. The rest of the gears look good and there were no filings in the grease.

post-30993-1431417230_thumb.jpg

post-30993-143141723017_thumb.jpg

post-30993-143141723031_thumb.jpg

post-30993-143141723045_thumb.jpg

post-30993-14314172306_thumb.jpg

Sid

As you found out, repacking the rear wheel bearings is too often overlooked. Using modern seals and grease, the job should be good for 100,000 miles.

Your gears and shaft actually look better than the parts on my 55 that I drive all over the country. I use 85w-140 gear lube and avoid doing donuts (turns are the only time these gears are used).

Willie

Guest sintid58

I was thinking about putting it back together with the parts. I spent a little time cleaning them up with some emery cloth and they look better but not perfect. I will probably go that way. The shaft and gears should be hardened so shouldn't wear much. The grease was very dirty but no metal. I have to wait for the new wheel bearings and races then I suppose find a machine shop to press the races on the axles.

April 26-27, 2013 in Bastrop, TX for the Buicks and Bluebonnets meet. http://www.buickclub.org/lonestar/buicksbonnetsbastrop.pdf for preliminary flier...more details soon.

Using a machine shop is the best way to do it, but if unavailable, just grind most of the way through the old inner race and smack with a chisel. Then put the axle in the freezer for a few hours, after which carefully heat the race with a propane torch while holding with large plier...just slip it on. Also be sure the replacement race and bearing is not Chinese junk...guaranteed to fail quickly.

Willie