Need help identifying hood ornament

Guest drbeckma

Guest drbeckma

Hello All - I am new to this site so if I have put this forum question in the wrong spot, I apologize. Anyway, I have what I believe to be an old hood ornament. I have searched the web for over 6 weeks and have not found a match. I have been told by other references that it is from a Mercury (which would appear obvious) but have not found it only any of the Mercury sites (both US and Canada). I have also been told that it is a reproduction and was never on an automobile. The item has 4 letters on the bottom. Under the washer, the letters FMC appear towards the hole in the bottom of the ornament and the letter A appears towards the back of the ornament. I will hopefully be attaching photos. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

post-90914-143141721958_thumb.jpg

post-90914-143141721972_thumb.jpg

post-90914-143141721987_thumb.jpg

post-90914-143141722001_thumb.jpg

If you have literally looked at thousands of hood ornaments / mascots, then it is safe to say this was not a ornament that came on a factory car. It is definitely the head of Mercury but do not see anything like it on their cars or trucks. I would suggest looking at old J.C. Whitney catalogs from the 1960s-1970s... They had a large selection of them then and many were "close to" factory ones of many makes. The mounting screw even looks aftermarket.

Guest drbeckma

Thanks to everyone who responded. I will look into the aftermarket area and see if I can discover something. I have had some other sites respond that FMC could have been Fairbanks-Morse Company or Franklin Mint Company, both of whom 'dabbled' in hood ornaments or die casts for other companies. Thanks again to all and I will look into JC Whitney and after-markets sites. Thanks - Daryl

It has the look of the Canadian Mercury truck emblem, but I have not found any of those with that ornament. Maybe a dealer accessory? Even looks as though the bottom contour of the ornament fits the hood contour.

post-37352-143141722814_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest drbeckma

As of today, I have yet to find anything that matches the item. I have done a search on Canadian Mercury trucks with the idea that the item is after market or an accessory. So far I have not had any luck. I will continue to search but I must admit that the frustration is starting to build. However, I want to find out about this item if possible so will continue to hunt. Thanks to all who provided input. I do appreciate it.

Daryl

• 1 year later...
Guest Bucyrus

I have the same ornament that you have. All of the markings that are on yours are also on mine. The one that you have looks like it is broken in the front. It is supposed to have two mounting screws. I would like to talk to you more about it and will check back on this forum to see if you have replied.

Guest drbeckma
I have the same ornament that you have. All of the markings that are on yours are also on mine. The one that you have looks like it is broken in the front. It is supposed to have two mounting screws. I would like to talk to you more about it and will check back on this forum to see if you have replied.

Amazing. I have looked at thousands of ornaments and dozens of web sites and have found nothing to match the ornament that I have. Not sure why you think mine is broken in front but would love to see some photos of yours showing me where mine might be broken. Do you have any other information on yours? Such as aftermarket, what is was used on (car, truck, etc) or year? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Guest drbeckma

OK. I see what you guys are saying about the ornament being broken. I am hoping that someone knows where it might have come from. Is it aftermarket or from a car, truck, etc. Anything about it would help in identifying its history. Or is finding out more about this a waste of my time? Is this item too hard to trace? Would appreciate any help I could get on this. Thanks much to all who have responded.