? about 79-85 versus 95-99 Riviera

JalopyBob

Hi, I have a question about these different model Rivieras. I have started to look for a low mile 97-99, and find that most are

high mile 150,000 plus and "well used". The low mile cars seem to be very few and far between. But I find quite a few low mile well

cared for Rivs in the 82-85 year range, with 45-75 thousand miles on the clock. Why do so many more 80's Rivieras have low miles

and the last series seem to be all used up? I drove an 80 for 11 years from new and liked it a lot. Might want to get 1 of each of these

series Riv.

Wait 15-20 years and you might see a bunch. Buick owners are typically older, so the older ones buy a second Buick [in this case 95-99 Riv.] and use it for special occasions and have a daily driver that gets all the use. Especially since the Riv has a "storied" history. Then when they get into their late '70s/80s they go up for sale. Just like your reference to the '79-85 Rivs and what we are starting to see with the '88-91 Reattas.

All we are still seeing now are the second/third owner daily drivers...

You are correct in that there seems to be no shortage of low mile premium examples of the 79-85s. As mentioned I think some thought they would become a collectors item so pampered them at a bit higher percentage than normal.

About 3 years ago I was looking for 97-99 for a daily driver and while I did find some with lower mileage the asking prices were higher than I wanted to pay so after 3-4 months of looking I finally moved on to something more practical that wouldn't need as much maintenance. also I was looking for a car with heated seats in black or marroon which made it more difficult. They are around but you have to be very patient for the right car. I think the early 80s Rivs are still one of the best buys going as far as how much car you get for the money.

I had a '95 that I bought as a donor drivetrain for my '86 Park Ave convertible. I decided to stay stock with the convert and let my son take the '95. He had problems and my nephew has the Riviera now. I saw him last weekend and he says the car is a string of little problems. He is a mechanic and likes driving the car too. It is listed for sale on the Buffalo Craigslist. Although I enjoyed the later Riviera it is definitely not a car to keep for the long term. I bought a 1994 Impala SS for a late model keeper. If I was pinned down for a car to potentially keep for 20 years the '94 to '96 GM B-body would be my only choice. You can buy a 60,000 mile Roadmaster for $5,000, another $1,000 will get a decent Fleetwood. I paid $9,000 for the Impala. I am fussy and it is an exceptional car. I don't mind paying a little more for the iconic value.

The 10-15 year cycle of very conservative new car buyers has been prevalent since the 1930's. You will find that those low miles one owner cars verging on collector status are generally cars you trip over at a car show. They are brown, medium green, light blue. That's what the conservative new car buyer wants, the equivalent of a Nash four door, stick six, with blackwalls.

You will find a lot of pastel colored '80's cars in good shape. Red ones, black ones, cars with "eyes" get consumed. The new car buyer wants a head turner. After 2-3 years he wants another. Those sharp cars enter the used car market quickly with lower prices and less fussy drivers. If I wanted a black '85 Riviera with a red interior and low miles it is going to be hard to find, about has hard to find as an original red '56 Ford convertible. It is a fact of the buyer mentality.

I'm not real happy with a light blue convertible. I wouldn't care for a red hearse either. I bought my ;'64 Riviera when it was 15 years old. It was a nice conservative brown. Two years later it was maroon (Claret Mist). Its been maroon longer than it was brown. :rolleyes:.

The other thing I don't like about my light blue convert; someone asked me if I was driving around in a Mercedes. It's '80's squarish and that silvery blue. Mercedes! Huuurrrumph! Perhaps they didn't know who they were talking to.

Bottom line, let the car pick you. Shortly after you make a logical decision the illogical car will blow you away.

Bernie

Guest wildcat465

The low mileage 95-99's are not for sale for the most part. The owners are hanging on to them. There are a few out there, but at premium pricing.

It's really all about what you are looking for.

Both generations are great cars to drive. They both have their "little things" that fail or give you trouble.

I am proud to have examples of both, as some guys on here can attest, I enjoy driving either a long distance for a car show.

Even though they have more than 2 seats, I do believe you need a Riviera, Bob. You need to join the ROA and the BCA and party with us in Lexington and South Bend this summer. :cool:

I've not owned a 95 - 99 but I have owned a few 79 - 85's. I now have a '93 that, in my opinion, is a much nicer car to drive than the 79 - 85's. (Remember, I said "in my opinion.") The lighter weight of the 93, the more powerful 3800 V6, just make for a car that's more of a driver's car. Admittedly, the 83's, 84's, and 85 I've owned are nice once you get them to cruising speed, but that 5.0 Liter Olds leaves something to be desired for power. I drove my '85 from KC to Harrisburg in 2010 and on the way home I decided to go home the southern route - the mountains of West Virginia. I think that I drove more miles in drive and second gear than I did tin overdrive trying to maintain a minimum interstate speed. 18 wheelers were passing me going uphill.

The '93 with its 3800 - not supercharged - is a much more drivable car, both in town and on the highway. It doesn't take me a 1/4 mile to build up speed to pass, and it gets 26 +/- mpg, and the seats are very comfortable. I think that the owners of the 95 - 99's are finding that these are great cars to drive, get good gas mileage, and you can't kill the 3800 even if you try. No reason not to drive them 200K. They'll get there with ease and they'll still bring a decent price when it comes time to sell.

Ed

Back when 79-85's were produced if you had a car with close to 100k that was A LOT of miles and people usually got rid of them. Later into the 90's especially with FI cars were going way over 200k miles. People used to not drive the wheels off of cars way back when...

This is an interesting thread with great comments. I agree with Jayson that 200,000 miles is the new 100,000 miles. So, I would look at the mileage from a per year standpoint rather then a cumulative.

The 95-99 Rivieras seem to be a love them or hate them style cycle. I like them for their styling because it's different. I have been casually looking for one for about 2-3 years but picked up a Reatta convertible instead. Now, I probably don't have the room.

Don't forget they made very few 1999's, so your "sweet spot" should be 97-98. Finally, I think the 79-85 Rivieras easily outsold the last generation Rivieras so it's not apples to apples. I think they averaged about 50,000 per year from 79-85 and so there are more to be held back in nice shape. I think the 95-99's were around 17,000 per year but I might be a little low.

Either will be a nice driver, but people still weren't driving there cars as much back in the 80s. Styling definitely goes to the 80s, but performance and other creature comforts will probably lend more to the later models. I know a guy with a low model SC late model, but besides that and one other 79-85 besides mine I don't see very many around. I don't think I've ever seen a 74-78 in person. I'm still on the hunt for the right '71.

1982 Buick Riviera - $1600 (Casper, Wyoming)

3E83n33K35I25K85M3d1f146a8ced90801ec7.jpg

<section id="postingbody"> For sale is my 1982 Buick Riviera, it's in great condition and all original! It's been my daily driver for over a year. Tires are in good condition, interior and exterior in great condition! 86K original miles...... Heater works, original stereo in car as well, no modifications have been made. If you have any other questions please email and I will respond, if this ad is up then I still have car for sale. Must sell first person with cash drives away.............. This is a classic don't miss it at this price

With bargains like this, it is good to be a 79-85 or 95-99 Riviera fan. You could probably get this 1982 for $1250 or so. Of course it's in Wyoming.

</section>

I'll add here that the 79 - 85's can be long haulers. When I was the RC for MO/KS, I had a member, Bud Rogers from Miller, MO, who was approaching 1/2 a million miles on his '85. He was a paper products salesman and drove the Riv as his business car. Overhauled the engine at about 275K and the trans at 325K. Oil changes every 3,000 miles was his basic maintenance. Needless to say "he loved that car!' This was a few years ago. I don't know if he still has it.

Interesting, that '82 is the same color as the awning and trim on the house across the street. Eyes! The car has gotta have eyes or you come home from cruise night with the side all polished from people backing up against it looking at the red and white '56 Merc next to you.

Bernie