1939 buick front panel removal

Guest Alr116

How do you remove the front panels off a 1939 buick in one piece? I'm told it can be done so the engine can be taken out and get access to the front suspension.

Guest Grant Magrath

I suspect a comma has been left out Billy! I would imagine it could be done, but I would still go about it bit by bit, just in case.....

You would need to unbolt the radiator support from the crossmember, remove the hood and center support, and undo where the inner guards and side panels attach to the cowl. Plus the lower support brackets on the guards. That's after you remove your water pump and radiator! Oh, and don't forget to undo the headlight wires from the junctions on the side panels. Good luck!

Cheers

Grant

I think he is suggesting he will do both Billy.

It's a question of removing the bolts that hold the front clip on. Remove the hood, then the bolts where the clip attaches to the body. There will be a few other bolts/screws in the process but the clip will come off as a complete unit. They will become obvious as you proceed.

You'll have to disconnect a few wires to the headlights as well.

Danny

Welcome to the forum

Are you in Australia ? (guessing from your email address)

http://forums.aaca.org/f165/39-buick-team-membership-342274.html

There is a single very large nut under the radiator support and 4? bolts to the firewall under the fenders/guards. An some others as above

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

I've taken the front end off my dual side mounted '39 a couple of times, its relatively easy. Don't forget to take the bumper and brackets off first, don't mess up the sheet metal. ha ha It you have 3 people, its easy to do. One on each side and one in front for balance, but it can be done with just 2 guys. Happy Removing, Paulo

From my collection of '39 images. Usually the radiator is left in the support frame

test img paste from album

174567-1939-front-sheetmetal-01.jpg

174566-1939-front-sheetmetal-02.jpg

test url paste from album

http://forums.aaca.org/members/1939_buick/albums/buick-straight-8/174566-1939-front-sheetmetal-02.jpg

http://forums.aaca.org/members/1939_buick/albums/buick-straight-8/174567-1939-front-sheetmetal-01.jpg

test insert image

174567-1939-front-sheetmetal-01.jpg

174566-1939-front-sheetmetal-02.jpg

Edited by 1939_buick
image not displaying when logged off (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok thanks for all the advice.....great photos too.

i've crawled around the car and taken on all the advice and put it all together ;

1. Remove the hood

2. Remove the bumper and irons

3. Disconnect the Head light wires at the blocks

4. Disconnect the radiator hoses

5. Remove 6 bolts under the each guard

6. Remove large bolt under radiator/crossbeam

7. Remove 2 bolts that hold the side panels each side

8. Remove 1 bolt that holds the top of the side panel to the cowl each side

9. Use at least 3 men to remove as complete unit with radiator attached

what does everyone think?

Ok thanks for all the advice.....great photos too.

what does everyone think?

Yep: that seems OK

I have taken off the front by myself, with use of crates / timber to steady. Was not worried about scratching paint

Where are you ? Aussie ?

We like photos !!

• 1 year later...

hi i am a new member here.can we keep this thread going?my cousin said that he has done this before and i thought he was carzy.who has ever heard of this before?well i have to eat crow because here is the proff.can someone send more picturess of this process?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

hello to all..it is my first time in this site..i also have a 39 buick which I dirve around area ,,not to far...it overheats on me after about 4 or 5 miles...anyway I need to take my radiator out and get it cleaned...I am wondering if their are any 39 buick owners near me..I live in hayward California..thanks..