StillOutThere

1951 Chrysler New Yorker station wagon

Want to Buy a 1951 Chrysler New Yorker station wagon. This would be the 331" Hemi motor on the 131.5" wheelbase chassis (shared with Imperial). Condition from very good restorable to older restoration or "what have you?".

NOT interested in '52-54 similar wagons as those are all shorter wheelbase.

NOT interested in 1951 Saratoga with Hemi on shorter wheelbase.

MUST be the New Yorker on the 131.5 wheelbase.

Thank you.

Guest BJM

Needle, meet haystack. Let us know if you find one. How many did they even make?

Heard from a contact there was a '51 NYer wagon he had heard of around Los Angeles that had a Mopar 440 engine, bucket seats and console installed. Anyone have, remember or know this car's whereabouts?

Thanks

I saw it (C52 440 wagon) in Spokane, Wash at the county fairgrounds swap meet 15or more years ago- Maroon and beige with wire wheels. Saw another 131 wagon in Rainier vally-Seattle 30- plus years ago. I have never seen it since. Those are one rare bird. Good luck.

I'd remembered reading your post several months back, StillOutThere.

Found this one on the Portland, OR Craigslist... and it looks like a great candidate for restoration.

If you wind up buying it, please let us know. I'd love to know if I helped put it back on the road to recovery. :)

Out of curiosity, I have both a '53 and '54 Chrysler wagon. I can't see where they put an extra 6 full inches of wheelbase on the 51s - care to fill us in on where the extra length is? Hood? Cabin? Cargo bed?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4234400649.html

post-53516-143142319807_thumb.jpg

post-53516-14314231981_thumb.jpg

post-53516-143142319812_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your post, Bredlo. The Portland area car is apparently sold - correspondence kicks back and the ad is no longer up. Dang. I have a good friend 50 miles from that location.

The longer wheelbase Imperial sedan frame is used this year only for a wagon. The additional inches are all in the front sheet metal.

Only other '51 NYer wagon I've found is in Tennessee and has a number of issues coupled to a stubbornly high asking price.

Edited by StillOutThere (see edit history)

Notice the distance between the wheel opening and the front door, the "B" pillar is wider and I think the rear door is longer.

I had a New Yorker and a Imperial a few years back and if I remember this is were they added the length.

That's odd, the link is still working for me! I called the number listed and left a voice mail, making it clear I have a friend who's very interested. As soon as I hear anything back, I'll let you know right away. To summarize, it sounds like he feels it's in the $5K-$8K range, but would prefer a trade for something he could jump in and enjoy (health issues). That's a toughie... hopefully he'll take the cash.

How strange about the 51's front clip being the longer section: I can't imagine why they'd need extra room up there when it's the same Hemi as the rest of 'em. No surprise they changed their minds after 250 copies, that's a lot of extra work!

~~~~~~~

Speaking of extended noses, check this out: I believe it's a pair of '53 New Yorker sedans, turned into a crew car, also called railway inspection cars. With the way they moved both axles up front, I'm not sure where the HEMIs are now located (possibly in the center section with the exhaust coming from those portholes?)

Regardless, it's amazing, huh? Used on a narrow-gauge railway for a gypsum company out in the California desert. Ran between the mines and the factory - this way they could drive forward from whichever end of the track they were at. I'm doing a little research... and believe the car might still exist out in Plaster City, CA.

post-53516-143142320216_thumb.jpg

post-53516-143142320222_thumb.jpg

Notice the distance between the wheel opening and the front door, the "B" pillar is wider and I think the rear door is longer.

I had a New Yorker and a Imperial a few years back and if I remember this is were they added the length.

If I had my choice, I'd add it there too: in the cabin. The front bench has hardly any front-to-back adjustment, and I'd really like more leg room. However, we also leave the bed in the "down" position most of the time, for our dogs. Can't move back without immediately touching the rear bench bottom. I could re-engineer the rear seat bottoms to be removable, I suppose, but am not really interested in that either. Oh well.

post-53516-143142320227_thumb.jpg

Now that one of the weirdest things that I have ever seen.

As for the car in Portland. I saw the ad and had to restrain myself from going to take a look.

But if the OP needs someone to do that I will volunteer.

Just ask. The ad is still up.

StillOutThere, just emailed you with the contact info.

Talked to the son, Dad will be home later, and as far as anybody knows... it's still available! :cool:

Jack M, that's a nice offer - I know I'd take you up on that, if it were for me - these projects always look good and then you climb underneath. Our '53 was a freak show, to the point I had to find another car for our project and combine parts from the two. :(

~Brad

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4251246305.html is the new ad as the first was taken down. Content is same as the first time.

Seller's son, Jeremy has been very helpful in getting answers and taking many additional photos but will send them one at a time as they are all around 5 mb in size.

This is an excellent restoration candidate. Anyone having interest should look into it. I have had to drop my interest as the logistics of getting it all from Oregon to Texas overrules my passion for this vehicle.

Best of luck to anyone pursuing this !

Remember, it can look like the attached reference car when completed!

post-57494-143142325929_thumb.jpg

post-57494-143142325938_thumb.jpg

post-57494-143142325946_thumb.jpg

No problem getting cars transported. Logistics should not stand in the way of a dream period. Unless its cost. ASK JACK! He'll back me up on that one.

I do hope it finds a good home soon -- sorry to hear you can't swing it at this time, StillOutThere. Timing is everything with these passion projects, isn't it?

It's a very unique car, with the production numbers to back it up... however the differences are so slight, it seems the buyer pool is small, too. Not to mention that it's a MOPAR, whereas wagons from GM and Ford of this period seem to have a much bigger following.

I'll never understand that: these are the finest looking estate wagons ever produced, in my opinion.

No problem getting cars transported. Logistics should not stand in the way of a dream period. Unless its cost. ASK JACK! He'll back me up on that one.

This is a package deal of two cars plus a loose Hemi and transmission and enough parts to fill the wagon. It is 2000 miles seller's door to my door on the shortest possible route and after a couple of weeks there was no flexibility to the asking price of the high number printed in the ad with the low number not available for discussion. So transport alone was going to nearly double what I believe is the wagon's (alone) true market value today and keep in mind I have seen all 50 photos.

It can't all be about passion. It also has to make sense.

Guest BJM

1951 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country Station Wagon , With Title. 251 made. Has original Hemi engine (out of car, apart, included) Rest of car is complete, unmolested, with factory power steering, power brakes, radio, clock, etc. First year production Hemi engined car, Longest wheelbase Wagon ever made (131 inches) First American tailgate station wagon.

All metal body (good shape) with factory varnished wood cargo compartment. Needs restored.

Interior complete, mostly needs seat inserts, headliner, carpet, and some wood work. Have sourced original alligator vinyl pattern materials to do restore, but may not be needed.

Includes 1952 New Yorker Sedan(no engine) I bought it because of its nice steering wheel, 1 owner car.

Includes extra 1953 331 Hemi engine and Automatic Transmission, (only true automatic transmission that fits 1951-1953 Chrysler Hemi's). Pulled from running, driving 1953 Imperial, engine ran decent, no smoke or knocks, had low compression 2 cylinders, Trans shifted good, I also kept the steering column, linkage, etc to do a factory automatic conversion, instead of the 1951 semi-automatic.

Includes Factory Shop/Service Manual, NOS Parts, New Parts, and Extra used parts. Everything Ive collected over the years to build the '51.

My 1951 Chrysler is my once in a lifetime car, that now, due to recent physical impairments, I can never restore. Im looking to trade it for a running classic that will give me the same smiles that my 51 Wagon does every time I see it. Been thinking something like a 1962 Thunderbird, but open to others, I like 1930s to 1960s cars and trucks. Also Military rigs.

I estimate my car has a $5000 to $8000 value, as is.

Jay Leno would like my car.

At 251 made, 1st year Hemi, complete, original, unmolested, and restorable, finding another one like this is going to be few and far between.

Call or write, please leave a message if you miss me, put 1951 Chrysler in your email subject line if u email. If the listing is up, the car is still available. The dollar listing price is for the search engines, not what I will sell my car for. Will concider cash, but not my first choice. Have more pics if needed. 503-663-9337

Tru dat, I loose money all the time on transportation. BUT, I am living in a dream !!

Guest BJM

Stilloutthere,

At 251 cars ever made, you won't find another one any closer. After reading the ad, and expressing genuine interest, I am sure a deal can be made. For instance, he states the 52 four door sedan was purchased primarily for the nice steering wheel, so swap the wheels and there is no further need for the 4 door sedan. As for the extra engine, there is no need for that. Is price an issue? Shouldn't be for a car that you want so badly. I'm not saying, pay whatever, but explaining to a seller how much the car means to you, and that you simply can't afford to haul 2 cars to Texas, I am 100% sure he understands.

Make an offer. I often make offers and don't flinch if it is not accepted.

I am not an old car dealer, per se, but buy and sell cars, about 10-15 a year because I want to get my hands on them. I re-sell, but not after experiencing them. I mention this because in the past few years I offer a fair price and often get shot down by the seller and we part on friendly terms.

In this case, I would offer $5000 for the SW, the stering wheel swap and say you don't want the 4 door sedan or the other hemi.

Or, $4000. And say it would cost $1500 to transport, etc. The car on ebay would bring out the Mopar Geeks money, one mentioned maybe a Jay Leno car. I agree. In fact, Hemmings Classic Car just featured a 2 issue series on Chrysler wagons because of their elegance and style.

But, to simply say you can't afford it and not pursue it means you are on too tight a budget for this rare car. This one is so complete and straight. Maybe there is another one out there but I doubt it, maybe in another 3-5 years another totally rusted out relic will show up with a $4000 price on it.

I am looking at bringing in a Continental Mark II from Washington State to Iowa. My transport could run $1500 or more, or 40-50% of my car purchase cost.

Go for it. We found the car for you, don't hesitate.

Guest BJM

I read all of your comments where you mentioned that you have tried to get the seller to budge on price. Projects of any sort are not selling, doesn't matter how rare. I lost about $3500 on my recent sales and they were placed on ebay for a wider audience.

I highly doubt this seller will get any traction on craigs list. His son will urge him to put it on ebay with a silly reserve and nobody will even come close. The issue here is the seller stating he wants a driver to enjoy sooner rather then later. Well, good luck, he won't sell it for $8000 all in. You can't afford to haul 2 cars plus an engine to Texas, I suspect even local buyers would not be able to justify the 2 cars.

There is an ad on one of the other Buy/Sell forums where a seller wants $6000 for 4 cars, all or nothing, and nobody is buying because few people want 4 cars all at once in various states of repair.

I would keep monitoring and I'll bet the car will still be for sale 4 months, 6 months from now OR the seller will drop his price.

Timing is everything - if StillOutThere is now involved in something else: other projects, different passions... this may be one of those things that no longer sits at the top of his wish list.

I agree that transport is something we need to keep in perspective, and not let ruin a great project if the cost can be kept down. If I were interested (and halfway across the country, as this one is) - I would try to sell off the extra car and loose Hemi where it sits (the seller mentioned LOTS of interest in that other Hemi).

If they theoretically agreed to hold them for me until they sell... I might get $800 or a thousand bucks for the Hemi... and could scrap the donor sedan for another $700 to 800. Could be $1600 or more to offset transport costs for just the wagon, which would be awesome.

I hope whoever winds up with it wants to restore it, vs. chop the top or hot rod it. At 251 copies, it's too cool to alter by very much. Heck, I've lost enough sleep in modernizing our '54 Chrysler wagon - and heck, there were plenty of those...

1,100! :rolleyes:

Project cars are selling. We sold 8 project cars from 2700.00 to 13.500.00 this year.

40 Chry

33 Dodge DP

38 Chry Royal

37 Chry Coupe

33 Dodge KC

35 Dodge KCL

34 Dodge 3/4 ton humpback

31 Dodge going to New Zealand- 5000 to transport

Pending sales

35 Dodge screenside

34 Dodge tow truck

39 Dodge flat bed

All of these are basket case veh.

I just had the 40 Chry Imp-231" long transported for 1200.00 From central Ca to L.I.NY. It was a roller.

I wouldn't be suprised if that was the Seattle car I used to see in Seattle back in the late 70's. All 1951 and 52 NewYorkers and Imperial four doors used the same wheel base-131" including the rare C52 wagons. The added inches from the firewall forward.

I've had a couple of C52/C54 NY'ers and Imperials.

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

Guest BJM
Project cars are selling. We sold 8 project cars from 2700.00 to 13.500.00 this year.

All of these are basket case veh.

I just had the 40 Chry Imp-231" long transported for 1200.00 From central Ca to L.I.NY. It was a roller.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.