Mystery Inside-the-Door Part

packick

Greetings:

I had removed the passenger door panel on my 1955 2-dr. Century to install some sound deadening material inside the door. As I was putting the door panel back on, I was just about done when I heard this “clink” noise inside the door. So after talking to God a bit, I removed the panel again and I found what is pictured below. Just that part . . . no nuts or bolts along with it.

I found a similar piece in a pile of stuff the previous owner gave me when I bought the car so I assume it is from the driver’s side door. However all of the mechanisms on the driver’s door work properly so I am wondering the following:

• What is this piece and where does it go?
  • Is it a key piece?
  • How does it install (a picture or drawing would be nice)?

Any help is appreciated.

post-72478-143139344844_thumb.jpg

post-72478-143139344849_thumb.jpg

post-72478-143141716036_thumb.jpg

post-72478-14314171604_thumb.jpg

Joe

That is from your vent window crank mechanism. You will notice that the shaft that the crank handle attaches to has lots of lateral movement. After you remove the whole vent window frame, etc., you will see where it goes. After cleaning and lubing the gears you can reattach with screws.

Willie

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to close out this thread and hopefully help others who may have this same problem.

I finally got a chance to pull the vent windows on both sides of the car to re-install the mystery pieces that fell inside each door. The first picture below shows the driver's side vent window and where the factory riveting gave way. (It was the same scenario on the passenger side.) Rather than drilling and tapping as was suggested, I decided to use JB Weld to see if that will hold it. I put each piece back on the rivets as best as I could, lightly hammered what was left of the rivets over the holes, then used the JB Weld to hopefully hold them in place. If the JB Weld doesn't hold, then at least I know the process to pull them out again and try another tact (probably drilling and tapping). The second, horrible picture, shows the JB Weld fix.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

post-72478-143141811014_thumb.jpg

post-72478-143141811019_thumb.jpg

Edited by packick (see edit history)